Stabilizer gyro scope for trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zayne

I am new to trawlers been sailing a monohull most of my life , never had an issue with stabilizing a sail boat , now I am looking to acquire my first trawler and need some expert advise whether a gyro stabilizer like a sea keeper is actually required on a trawler especially when at anchor ….

Way too many variables. Where will you be boating? What type of boat? How much tolerance do you and your crew have for motion?

So “required” is dependent on too many things. I would say “required” isn’t even the right term. “Desired” may be better.

I don’t have active or passive stabilization on my boat. There are times when it would be really nice. A SeaKeeper of the right size would be nice, but in my situation there would be too many sacrifices that would have to be made for it.

"....especially when at anchor...." The power requirements for a Seakeeper are substantial.....I would just not want to anchor where one was needed as running a generator 24/7 would not be a viable option for me.

If you've been part of a boating community perhaps you've got some friends who might take you out for a weekend ? Maybe there are chartering opportunities where you plan to cruise ? As dhays said.....this is kind of like what underwear is more comfortable......it really depends on your needs and tolerance.

We have a Seakeeper on our new to us boat. Neither wife nor I have low resistance to motion sickness. I’ve had episodes but only in extreme unusual circumstances. (Upside down doing repairs in a seaway while smelling diesel fumes, corkscrewing while having inter current illness etc). Nevertheless fighting boat motion is fatiguing and makes doing stuff difficult. The Seakeeper is a dream and highly recommended. However have no intentions of using it at anchor. It requires the genset to be running. From prior cruising experience think if motion at anchor is troublesome it means you anchored in the wrong place. Sometimes that’s unavoidable but it’s fairly rare. If it’s common in your cruising grounds a flopperstopper is in your future and a much more straightforward way to deal with it.

Thank you all for the very valuable advice …initially planning to sail around the Mediterranean for couple of years then venture out …never had an issue with a monohull but guess it will a different experience on a trawler …might not be an issue after all just need to start somewhere and see how it goes ….

Back
Top Bottom