Special Toilet Paper needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My maternal granddad was an Alabama farmer who only had a 6th grade education. The TVA didn't run power lines to that part of the country until the late 1930s...a well supplied the water, so without an electric pump there was no indoor plumbing till they did. They had an outhouse and chamber pots. One day Pop got out his writing paper and a pencil and laboriously wrote a letter to Sears Roebuck asking for the price of a case of toilet paper. A snotty reply came back informing that he could find that information in the Sears catalog. Pop shot back, "if I still had the catalog, I wouldn't need toilet paper!"

Your Granddad was a smart guy....

For your records...when we lived in the outback of Australia for a couple of years we lived in a house whose toilet was 40 feet out the back of the house in an outhouse like building. Flush toilet, but when plumbed toilets were introduced, the folks down there thought "ugh, why would you want a toilet in your house?" So, they put it where the toilet was already. In the outhouse. Now, add Black Widow spiders on the underside of the toilet rim (moist, cool) and you can start to appreciate the true outback toilet experience.

In a non so distant time ago bidet were pretty common in France and each house had one. Now it is looked as a strange appliance but at the time it was the most hygienic way to clean some hard to reach area :)

Speaking about the subject of the thread, like mentioned before, for us no paper goes down the toilet. A small trash with a lid that we empty as often as possible does the trick.

L.

Wow, is that what they're for? I always thought they were just very poorly positioned drinking fountains. Boy, am I embarrassed.

But speaking of which, my daughter in law visited Japan and was much struck by the Toto high tech toilet seat. I experienced the same when I was in Tokyo last and thought they were pretty cool. I am starting to think that they may be an ideal piece of equipment for a boat. They have a built in fan/filter that comes on when you sit. Then, there is the warming element in the seat and the warm water that now I understand isn't for drinking but for cleansing. Oh yes, and a dryer. The accuracy of the water jet is pretty remarkable, and I discount my son's explanation that this is because there is a guy in Tokyo with a joy stick directing the flow to the right spot, preferring the explanation of good ergonomic design. The only disadvantage is that you need a nearby 120vac plug to power the unit but beyond that, I am thinking this has some real potential for marine usage when you use fresh water for flushing.

https://www.amazon.com/TOTO-Washlet...rds=toto+toilet+seat&psc=1&smid=AYX4QZIGCPIZG

Wow, is that what they're for? I always thought they were just very poorly positioned drinking fountains. Boy, am I embarrassed.

But speaking of which, my daughter in law visited Japan and was much struck by the Toto high tech toilet seat. I experienced the same when I was in Tokyo last and thought they were pretty cool. I am starting to think that they may be an ideal piece of equipment for a boat. They have a built in fan/filter that comes on when you sit. Then, there is the warming element in the seat and the warm water that now I understand isn't for drinking but for cleansing. Oh yes, and a dryer. The accuracy of the water jet is pretty remarkable, and I discount my son's explanation that this is because there is a guy in Tokyo with a joy stick directing the flow to the right spot, preferring the explanation of good ergonomic design. The only disadvantage is that you need a nearby 120vac plug to power the unit but beyond that, I am thinking this has some real potential for marine usage when you use fresh water for flushing.

https://www.amazon.com/TOTO-Washlet...rds=toto+toilet+seat&psc=1&smid=AYX4QZIGCPIZG

I would be nervous seating on a seat powered by 110V

finger-in-socket-1.jpg

L.

...when we lived in the outback of Australia for a couple of years we lived in a house whose toilet was 40 feet out the back of the house in an outhouse like building. Flush toilet, but when plumbed toilets were introduced, the folks down there thought "ugh, why would you want a toilet in your house?" So, they put it where the toilet was already. In the outhouse. Now, add Black Widow spiders on the underside of the toilet rim (moist, cool) and you can start to appreciate the true outback toilet experience.
Spider events involving "the outside dunny" have been celebrated in song. The original was by Slim Dusty, but this is faithfully done and should bring back some memories:

Next time you get to the Chessy area , visit a screw pile lighthouse.

Nothing simpler .a toilet seat over the water.

I thought men don't eat quiche and they don't use bidets. Our house has bidets and that was all new to me. First time I saw my wife use one, I just didn't know. However, I gave in and used it. Whether it's a separate bidet or something like the bum gun, it just makes sense. It's actually very comfortable and leaves a very clean good feeling. Our boat has toilets with bidet attachments. All our bedroom bathrooms at home have bidets in one form or another. I thought it was some crazy French thing but I was wrong. When I go somewhere without one, it just feels very odd and primitive now.

As to toilet paper, there are some 2-ply toilet papers that pass Peggie's test with flying colors. Just test them and see. However, some that pass are far less pleasant feeling than Scott single ply. Oh, and according to the way it's all being labeled we should now be calling it "bathroom tissue."

So what kind/model do you have for the boat? Does it require 110v?

Would be great to have simple one.

Psneeld,

Looked that up and it's $39 per case of 4, not 48, unless I'm missing something.

12 packs, 4 rolls per pack.

We have ordered at least 6 times.

Where did you buy.. no purchase options on that site, but they have a lot of neat stuff....

Came on boat new. They're located in Fort Lauderdale. They have a contact page where they'll tell you the nearest sales rep. I also think many of the large shipyards have relationships with them. They do some of their own installations as well.

Raritan has a bidet version of the Raritan Marine Elegance...it's special order. Not just a bidet seat, they put a fitting in the actual bowl. See photo. I have no idea what the price is.

Attachments

• Side view bidet.jpg
    Side view bidet.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I have seen in a couple of N. African countries a piece of copper tubing tee'd with a valve into a toilet's water line, the tubing bent up to the rim similar to the picture in post #76 easy to do. That's the deluxe version, failing that just a bottle of water next to the toilet.

Back
Top Bottom