Old 08-03-2017, 05:07 PM   #21
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I went like forever before ever using a Bidet and first time was totally curiosity. Now I don't understand why they're not the standard, why all toilets don't have them
I have a feeling that what you call a bidet is totally different to a bum gun :-)

Downside to them is I feel unclean if using a toilet without a bum gun - dirty unclean heathens

bum gun - Google Search
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #22

City: Miami, FL
Vessel Name: Mermaid Life
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
I've been using Scott's single ply tissue for more than 15 years in every kind of head I can think of. If has never caused a problem, not even in copious amounts. I once did a test - took two glasses of water, and put equal amounts of Scott's tissue and "marine" tissue. Gave each glass a stir at the same time. In both of them, the TP broke up pretty much instantly to the point you couldn't tell which is which. That was all I needed to see.

I have a friend who uses Charmin in his vacuflush. I'm not that brave.
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:17 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I have a feeling that what you call a bidet is totally different to a bum gun :-)

Downside to them is I feel unclean if using a toilet without a bum gun - dirty unclean heathens

bum gun - Google Search
Wifey B: Same basically. Come in different forms. A bidet by itself is just a separate unit for spray and clean. Bum gun you show is just used at the toilet. Combining the two into one unit makes a lot of sense to me.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:22 PM   #24
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Wifey B: I went like forever before ever using a Bidet and first time was totally curiosity. Now I don't understand why they're not the standard, why all toilets don't have them, why all homes don't. It just seems logical vs paper only.

And Peggie's book is great. Only toilet guru I know so promote promote promote. No one else dared take on this dirty subject.
In a non so distant time ago bidet were pretty common in France and each house had one. Now it is looked as a strange appliance but at the time it was the most hygienic way to clean some hard to reach area

Speaking about the subject of the thread, like mentioned before, for us no paper goes down the toilet. A small trash with a lid that we empty as often as possible does the trick.

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:33 PM   #25
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
As a retired licensed master plumber with over 25 yrs in the trade, I had my share of messy experiences. I can tell you stories you wouldn't want to hear over dinner. As a life-long boater I can also tell you that if you use toilet paper that passes Peggy's disintegration test, you can safely flush it. We have always used her advice and never place Kleenex/tissue where it's within reach of the head, it'll surely end up in the bowl.

And for those who insist on depositing & storing feces-smeared paper in a container that must be handled later, even for a hardened plumber, that's just GROSS! Use appropriate toilet tissue, dispose of it in a sanitary manner- flush it!!

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:38 PM   #26
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
The issue with one ply tissue is you need to fold it double or....thus making it 2 ply.
A bidet is great at home. Wet wipes disposed of other than down the head are a second choice substitute.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:44 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
The issue with one ply tissue is you need to fold it double or....thus making it 2 ply.
A bidet is great at home. Wet wipes disposed of other than down the head are a second choice substitute.
Wifey B: One ply double still isn't the same as 2 ply. Same volume but not same structure. If Bidet is fine at home, why not on boat?
Old 08-03-2017, 07:22 PM   #28
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Wifey B: If Bidet is fine at home, why not on boat?
Space? Water consumption? I would hardly fit one in my boat. But I could jump in the river and rub my ... there

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:01 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Space? Water consumption? I would hardly fit one in my boat. But I could jump in the river and rub my ... there

L.
Bum gun like I use takes up no additional space.
Water supply could be raw water but uses less than 1 litre of fresh when used, which in turn is less water used during the flush.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:22 PM   #30

City: Comox
Vessel Model: 1989 Wellington 57 motorsailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post

bum gun - Google Search
Just curious, is the bum gun water pre-heated?
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:31 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
Just curious, is the bum gun water pre-heated?
Wifey B: No, water tap temp.

The Bum Gun Bidet Sprayers - King of Bathroom Hygiene
Old 08-03-2017, 10:05 PM   #32
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Ok, now your butt is soaked--next step is?
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:07 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Ok, now your butt is soaked--next step is?
Your butt - HOLE is soaked and CLEAN requiring a small amount of paper to dry
Old 08-03-2017, 11:26 PM   #34
Guru

Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Let`s add some class to the discussion. English aristocracy used live swans for toilet cleanups - "Ah, that`s better, pass me one of those swans, would you?" It`s why some TP is called "swansdown".
I`m guessing the swans were "cleaned and recycled", for further use.
Wifey B, if you`ve room for a bidet onboard you could surely accommodate some swans.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:35 PM   #35
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
Just spent a couple of hours over the weekend pulling the Tecma and disassembling the pump to remove a wad of Kleenex tissue, which took on the consistency of 3/8" rope after a few revolutions of the pump.

That must have been a huge wad of Kleenex! There's a much easier way: if you reverse the wiring, that makes the toilet run backward, which causes it "spit up" clogs. Call Thetford (they own Tecma) for instructions on how to do that.

I first learned about it from a brand new Selene owner in who'd tied up next to the boat I'd been brought to Alaska to solve some problems on (URSA Major) in 2006. Of course I had to ask 'em what toilets were on the boat and how they liked 'em. Tecma...they loved 'em! Any problems? Yes, one...they'd had their teenage granddaughters aboard for a week...when the girls ran out of TP, they used paper towels instead of asking for more. Took 'em 3 days to clog the toilet. Granddad called the dealer in Seattle who told 'em how to fix it...it worked! I've since heard of it working on other electric macerating toilets too.
Great Trick! Thanks Peggie - You're the best!!

Almost seems that toilet designers/manufacturers should have a model option that for a bit more initial purchase cost the "Back-It-Out" feature could be available with simply a forward/reverse electric switch.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:45 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Let`s add some class to the discussion..
I should have referred to the cleaned region as the 3rd largest planet.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:37 AM   #37
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
48 rolls $39.....

Meets "best in test" standards aboard for all visitors and stay aboard guests.....

Yes expensive RV paper, but at less than $1 per roll, hard to complain.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/cart/view.html/ref=nav_cart
Attached Thumbnails
91PspwQGPNL._SL1500_.jpg  
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:37 AM   #38
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMF1984 View Post
Chris,
The head is a Jabsco Model 37010-Series and the macerator pump is Model 18590-Series.

Peggie's info applies...

But FWIW, and since it might be similar, our electric-flush head is a 37045, and we use the same extra soft 2-ply paper that we would use at home. Haven't yet found a critical quantity, but we do pay some attention to that, usually limited to no more than two rounds of 5-sheets each flush.

(Haven't ever found a single-ply TP that I can abide. Nasty stuff.)

Standard rule onboard: whoever clogs it fixes it.

Our macerator is from the same series. Don't get to use it often since we're mostly always inland, but it's the same macerator we have on the fishbox... and I can tell you it spits out fish bits and scales and so forth just fine.

-Chris
Old 08-04-2017, 07:53 AM   #39
Guru

Mrs G said if she and our friends ever had to put dirty poo paper in a separate bucket and dump it after a week that will be the day I sell the boat

I said I agree
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:42 AM   #40
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Get several buckets. Fill them w water and put various TP in each one. After a time (one hour to maybe several days) I suspect it will be obvious what TP to use. We never use anything but marine TP.
Ditto this procedure, but I have always been able to find cheap, single-ply from the grocery store that worked as well as the expensive stuff from West Marine.

But -- main point -- if you have questions about your marine head, first and foremost, buy Peggy's book... http://tinyurl.com/y7fg8zcj
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote