Softener in holding tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou_tribal

Guru
Vessel Name
Bleuvet
Vessel Make
Custom Built
Hello,
I just saw this tip on Jamestown web site:

To keep the black water tank clean it is useful to add water softener and a cup of laundry detergent. It helps removes waste odor, helps quickly break down waste and toilet paper and prevent scum from forming on the sides of the tanks and the sensors.

Not sure if this has already been extensively discussed but do you have any input regarding the subject?

L.

"Not sure if this has already been extensively discussed but do you have any input regarding the subject?"

I think we all have input but I am usually shy about it.

Might work, Peggy will have to do the paperwork first! 8^)

Boy I need a coffee

"Not sure if this has already been extensively discussed but do you have any input regarding the subject?"

I think we all have input but I am usually shy about it.

Might work, Peggy will have to do the paperwork first! 8^)

Boy I need a coffee

Don't be shy you're a big boy :D

I would never have thought about using laundry soap and even less water softener to keep my holding tank (well my boat holding tank should I say) clean.

L.

Is it really a "tip"? People have been known to put everything but the kitchen sink into their holding tanks to solve some imaginary problem.

Here's my input:

If you are using a biological product such as Odorlos to control the smell, your water softener and laundry detergent will kill the product and make it useless.

Odorlos works for me so I'm sticking with it.

31JasZJcfmL.jpg

The fabric softener/detergent trick is an old RV thing.
I know people who swear by it!
Bruce

I seem to recall Peggy recommending using a cup of liquid laundry detergent a couple times a season to help clean the fats off the side of the tanks.

I don't think that a water softener would do anything more than make the detergent foam up more, it wouldn't improve the cleaning effect. However, that is really only a guess. You would also need the tank to be full for the detergent to actually work on the sides of the tank and the higher sensors. I would think that adding the detergent, then filling the tank with fresh water and letting it sit for a day or so before pumping out would help. I have only done this once and it was on my sailboat. It seemed to work well.

Bleach is a bad idea IMO as it will kill the bacteria that is important for a healthy holding tank. I don't think that a detergent will do that.

In my mind, the most important thing to keep the tank clean is to pump out regularly and after each pump out, rinse the tank 2-3 times. It takes longer, but it is worth it. Most of the pump-outs in my area have a clear site glass right near the end nozzle. I will pump out, then rinse until the contents appear fairly clear in the site glass. BTW, I also try and backflush the vent each time I pump out.

The fabric softener/detergent trick is an old RV thing.
I know people who swear by it!
Bruce

Probably the same people who mix cayenne pepper in their bottom paint and put pool tablets in their AC strainers.

I see this every now and then. I think it originated with RVers.

Sodium chloride (salt) is the main ingredient in water softeners. If salt had any impact on odor, all holding tanks fed by toilets that flush with sea water would be odor free. However regular doses of it might help to prevent hard water mineral buildup in lines from toilets that use pressurized fresh water. Otoh, so does a cupful of distilled white vinegar once a week.

Detergent does dissolve the animal fats buildup on tank walls, but a cupful wouldn't do more than blow bubbles out the vent when you flush. You'd need at least a gallon of a good liquid degreaser. even in a tank as small as 20 gallons....more in larger tanks. The "solution" has to be agitated to "scrub" the walls (some people recommend a LOT of ice cubes) and a couple of hours of bouncing around in moderately heavy seas, or tack a lot if you're a sailboat. Ask anyone who's done this and then also still had to pull out a tank level sender to clean it manually how well even that works.

If you want to find out how effective either one is at breaking down TP, try a few sheets in a bucketful of water softener and a cup of detergent and another bucketful of just water. Solid waste is 75% water, so it dissolves in any liquid fairly quickly.

"...but a cupful wouldn't do more than blow bubbles out the vent when you flush."

Ooooh, pretty bubbles. I like it. What if you installed one of those aerators in the tank? You'd leave a stream of bubbles where ever you went.:D

As a complement of information, here is the link to the article I took the exert from:
Keeping the Holding Tank Clean

I do not have any opinion about true/false or work/not work, I was just surprised of it so my inquiry for input from you guys that may have experience.

L.

I've used Calgon in the holding tank to break up a solidified mass. Worked like a charm. But that was in a boat that cruised at 40 mph.

"...but a cupful wouldn't do more than blow bubbles out the vent when you flush."

Ooooh, pretty bubbles. I like it. What if you installed one of those aerators in the tank? You'd leave a stream of bubbles where ever you went.:D

Would be funny wouldn't it? Each time you flush the toilet your neighbor would be aware of your deposit by watching the bubble in the air. What a show it would be :rofl:

L.

Would be funny wouldn't it? Each time you flush the toilet your neighbor would be aware of your deposit by watching the bubble in the air. What a show it would be :rofl: L.

Especially if accompanied by a recording of Don Ho singing "Tiny bubbles in the wine...make me feel happy, make me feel fine..." :dance:

"Would be funny wouldn't it? Each time you flush the toilet your neighbor would be aware of your deposit by watching the bubble in the air. What a show it would be :rofl:"

Back in the 60's I lived aboard at the Worlds Fair Marina .

A very nice Huckins discharged directly overboard, as we all did.

Worked well , even with the bay water frozen , till his new girl friend started with Pink toilet paper!

Last edited:
Here is the formula for batch to make your house hold fabric softener
We also make Noflex Digestor It works for your tanks

I do not see any thing in the fabric softener that would help a holding tank the than the fragrance and a small trace amount of slow release formaldehyde

5000 L COLDWATER

2000 kg Dialkyl ester ammonium methosulfate

40 kg Laureth-23

22 kg Calcium Chloride

10 kg DMDM HYDANTOIN-----Formaldehyde

49 kg WATERLILY JASAMINE T7411

6.5 grams D&Cviolet 2

600 gm Blue s5566

Peggy is correct saying dish detergent or Laundry does help breaking up fats .
We have 105 formulas for dish and we make 4.2 million liters a year

We also make Noflex Digestor It works for your tanks

I've mentioned this before, but Noflex is GREAT in the holding tank. Odorlos is good in my tank, but Noflex has been even better.

Even so, still no substitute for rinsing the holding tank every time it is pumped.

???

Attachments

• stool.jpg
    stool.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 103
365 days of continual use as liveaboards and nothing added to the holding tank to eliminate odour apart from the shot of chlorine that the treatment plant adds on flush.

Hasn't been a problem since we got rid of the ten years of accumulated crap a few months after purchase.

I have used Noflex here in Australia but @ $50 for 475 grams double American price and all the stuffing around to buy it from one sole agent I looked for an alternative and found sodium percarbonate @ $40 for 20kg it works for me and can be purchased anywhere . I use my boat every week and pump out every week or 2 so why should I use a product like Noflex and get the same results ??
We did use softener in our other boat it also worked .

I used to use this stuff and it works great.

601d2825-5797-4d90-8b9d-f606a623b645_1.7e2c790f8d5d10b1a9661364c605db10.jpeg

But I recently tried this stuff and it works even better...

00335469-586c-4303-9dce-8d83c8b92223_1.27f62b0f1953df8a192c63125c5288d4.jpeg

both are cheaper at walmart

Pretty bubbles filled with a horrible evil!

Some serious testing and research has been done about this. Just watch the movie "Rat Race" to see what happens when you pour detergent in a black water tank.
rat-race-5.jpg

Sodium chloride (salt) is the main ingredient in water softeners.

Not to argue, if we're talking about a water softener, not "Calgon", this is a common misconception that is a logical progression from seeing the salt bin that sits next to the typical domestic water softener. The only component in water softener tanks is a plastic resin bead. If you've ever seen dance wax, that's what it looks like. Tiny plastic balls by the gazillion. They are the medium responsible for the ion exchange that makes the softener work.

Very basically, the plastic beads exchange calcium, magnesium and some iron ions, removing those undesireable minerals from the water. In the process, they release sodium ions that are not objectionable. When the beads have reached their capacity, the exchange stops, they're no longer effective. To regenerate the media, it's slow rinsed with super saturated salt brine, and the exchange occurs again, except the magnesium & calcium ions are exchanged for sodium; the magnesium and calcium goes down the drain, the sodium ions stay on the beads. The final rinse removes salt residual from the media so the water's palatable. The process then repeats until the next regeneration cycle.

That's why there's always salt involved with softeners. The water doesn't flow through the salt other than to keep enough reserve in the brine tank to make the brine. And, no, softened water doesn't taste salty, it doesn't contain salt, only the sodium left from the ion exchange. And yes, it does bump sodium levels, but hype about sodium levels and softeners relating to heart issues has pretty much been proven to be of no consequence.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom