Old 09-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #21
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Hi Hopcar.
Sadly all the e mails and phone enquiries I made to various distributors and agents of Morse, Teleflex and even the head office of holding company Seastar technical department failed miserably, no single person gave a definitive answer, in fact they were quite surprised and to put it bluntly they hadn't a bloody clue about the rating, and they make the things !
Personally I think it's a damning inditement of those company's and they can thank their lucky stars that I'm not their MD or they'd be looking for other employment after a short interview without coffee.
There, that's my rant over.
Thankfully you were able to see the benefits and we were able to work together to get the desired results.
The switch rating ? I still don't know, but figure it's only activating a solenoid the same as if it were working in trim switch mode.
The success speaks for itself.
My definition now of 'Experts' ? Ex is a has been, and a spert is a drip under pressure.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #22
Guru

Hello Mike,
I replied to your private message with all the details you requested but if it didn't come through send me another and I'll use direct email.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #23
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
Hello Mike,
I replied to your private message with all the details you requested but if it didn't come through send me another and I'll use direct email.
IR
I got two PMs but nothing in them.

Thanks

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #24
Guru

Hopcar,
We're back In Ireland and we have run a full set of tests and the results are fantastic.
Maybe I'm biased because it was my idea but everyone in the marina wants to play with it and everyone's very impressed so it can't be bad.
There is one downside, it's possible to switch the thruster from Port to Starboard without a pause to let the motor stop, frankly it doesn't matter to me because I would never do it but other people may prefer to add a 2/3 seconds delay.
Nope, those okie's at Seastar still can't tell me what the switch is rated for !
I'm a real happy guy and thanks for your help and support.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:53 AM   #25
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
No worry for me. My thruster stops as soon as I move direction from port to starboard, whatever.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #26
Guru

I've attached photo's of the master switch, upper/lower helm switch and the controls themselves to help to clarify the fitting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0233.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	33437

Name:	DSCF0234.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	33438

Name:	DSCF0232.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	33439

Name:	DSCF0238.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	33440

Apologies but you will have to rotate a couple as I'm handy with the spanners but not an IT whizz kid.
I hope you find these explanatory and helpful.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #27
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Irish, I'm so disappointed in you. That is one ugly steering wheel.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:31 AM   #28
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
An old trick was to mount the thruster joystick at knee level so you did not have to take your hands off the controls to operate it. Just push it one way or the other with your knee.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:01 AM   #29
Guru

Hopcar, I agree it's ugly and actually uncomfortable for any close quarters manoeuvring.
The second mate has priority though on the interior so an electrical ring main, freezer and washing machine come first, I'm a patient man, give me time and it will go.
I've been dropping hints about Santa Claus, we'll see if that works.

Good idea Capt Bill but I'm only a shortarse so I usually stand up when mooring to get a good all round view, I'd never live it down if I touched someone else's boat.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:05 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post

Good idea Capt Bill but I'm only a shortarse so I usually stand up when mooring to get a good all round view, I'd never live it down if I touched someone else's boat.
I meant to say knee level while standing. :-)
Old 10-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #31
Guru

Thanks Capt.Bill11.
Oops, sorry, I guess there's no chance of me getting into politics...
Old 10-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #32
Guru

No problem. I should have been clearer in my first post.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:00 PM   #33

City: Ireland
Price please

[
This sounds fantastic, I did read about this set up a few years back in a book, I am thinking about buying a barge and think this would be an excellent feature.

If I could get a quote that would be excellent, what information do you need to know from me to make it happen ??

Kind Regards,
Richie

QUOTE=HopCar;268245]When I first heard the plan, it just seemed like a natural to me. When I'm maneuvering I seem to always have my hand on the throttle/gear control. Why would I want to take my hand off to activate the thruster? With Rover's idea you just use your thumb.

With one hand you control, speed, forward, neutral, reverse and where the bow goes. I like it. Leaves your other hand free to hold the beer as you back into the slip.

I think control manufactures are really missing a good bet if they don't come out with controls designed and marketed for this application.[/QUOTE]
JaneyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:50 AM   #34
Guru

JaneyMac.
Thank you for your interest in the controls. If you buy the controls from Hopcar he's a top man and he'll treat you right, do be sure before you buy what type of control, top mounted or side mounted (I made that mistake with one of them and Hopcar helped me greatly) he'll put 'experimental equipment' on the customs form to make it duty free.
Where are you based ? I can put you in touch with Liam D'Arcy at Riversdale marina where I kept my boat and who fitted my set up.
What type of barge were you thinking of ? Where do you plan to cruise ?
That will determine the size of the bow thruster (always buy the size above the manufacturers recommendation) as they only test them in calm conditions and when you need help in windy/tidal conditions, you need help.
The single lever hand control wiring is simple, you use standard 12v cable from the switch down to a solenoid/relay to activate the heavy duty cable supply for the bow thruster motor.
The second photo in my post above is of a round s/steel disc with a simple up/down switch, obviously the 'up' position is for the flybridge and 'down' for the lower helm.

As things have moved forward technically I would recommend you fit only a brushless motor type.
The reason is that the older bow thruster motors use carbon brushes and when the motor is used they produce tiny amounts of black carbon dust which build up over time and make a darn dusty mess around the motor, I got around this by making a square tent like cover from an old sheet which allows the motor to breathe and yet captures all the fine carbon dust.
Should you ever need to check/service the motor you simply gently ease the old dust cover off (to keep the dust from spilling) place it carefully in a large plastic sack for disposal and then a quick clean around.
Make a new dust sheet to replace the old one when you've finished.

If you need any more info just contact me via here or a private message and I'll help you if I can.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:33 AM   #35

Hi Irish

Funny enough I was on to Mr Darcy to enquirer if he had anything for sale, sadly he has nothing at present.
Not too far away from Liam is Gavin Hart, he has a 13m Dutch barge for sale, I have cruiser on the Shannon for sale so nothing will be happening until that gem is gone to a new owner.

I intend to do the SaE during the summer and canals to Dublin winters.

I remembered reading about your setup some time ago and I made a mental note to self, if ever I had a bow truster I would research your setup.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:32 AM   #36
Guru

Liam's a good contact, very solid straight guy, I've known him from the early 70's when he was chairman of Belturbet branch and I was chairman of N.Ireland. We worked together (along with many others) to re-open the Ballinamore Ballyconnel (now the Erne Shannon link). He's been involved with the Irish Inland Waterways for over 30 years, he's a good friend, highly respected and a fountain of knowledge.
I kept my Birchwood 33 in his marina for years and then when I retired left to sail down to Spain. Later I bought an ex-Emerald star Shannon class from C-o-S and brought it up to Liam's to fit the bow thruster before we cruised it back to the South of France.
If your interested in that sort of thing I've a couple of books on Amazon with all the details, 'How to Enjoy Cruising', 'Encore' & 'Windmills and Wine', just type the book name and my name Geoff Woolley if they're of any interest to you.
Let me know if I can help you in any way.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:03 AM   #37

Thanks Geoff

Yes I have read your books and driftwood to name a few. That was the book I was referring too, I actually met your traveling friend who made the trip with you..... We met in Seans marina in Belturbet last year and we spoke for about an hour, I could have spent the week talking to that man hearing the stories of your trips....

Best of luck Geoff

Richie
Old 12-30-2019, 10:21 AM   #38
Guru

Hi Richie, your welcome. Chatting Pat Butler for an hour ! You were darn lucky he didn't drag you off the 'The Sportsman's' in the square for a few pints and a bit of 'craic'. !
Thank you for buying the books, a 5 star rating would be very apppreciated
You take care and if you need any help just give us a shout.
Geoff.