Sew Clean Hose Cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ORIF

Vessel Name
TAMI II
Vessel Make
Tollycraft, 44 CPMY
Search of this site confirms that Sew Clean and Raritan's CH Cleans Hoses are the same product but labeled from different manufacturers.

But their instructions on use differ:

Raritan CH says: "Mix solution using a 1:5 mix (1 part Cleans-Hoses, 5 parts clean water). Pour solution into toilet and flush until a mimimum of 3 gallons has made it to the holding tank."

Sew Clean simply instructs to flush a quart down the head and let sit for a prescribed length of time before flushing.

I have a raw water system with 2 Raritan Crown heads.

Can anyone comment on whether there is a measurable difference or best method to clean in my case?

Any difference with fresh water diluent as in method #1 versus salt water diluent in method #2?

I had considered disconnecting the outflow hose from the head with he longest run and biggest issue and pouring a 1:5 mixture down its throat...

Maybe they are diluted differently in the bottle. Peggie Hall is the one you should ask.

Orif, A slight side-drift in your post for future reference. There is an upgrade kit to convert your Raritan Crown heads to Raritan SeaEra fresh water flush units, which eliminates both raw water odor and the calcified buildup in raw water head discharge lines that Sew Clean gets rid of. I made this conversion this last winter and consulted with Peggie Hall during the process.

Orif, A slight side-drift in your post for future reference. There is an upgrade kit to convert your Raritan Crown heads to Raritan SeaEra fresh water flush units, which eliminates both raw water odor and the calcified buildup in raw water head discharge lines that Sew Clean gets rid of. I made this conversion this last winter and consulted with Peggie Hall during the process.

Ken, good to know. I was not aware of that. Thanks

Send Peggie Hall, Theheadmistress, a PM and ask her, she is the expert.

I needed some Sew Clean for a project and talked to the company about it since I had some Barnacle Buster on board. He told me SC and BB are essentially the same product but with some anit-marine growth stuff added to BB.

He also told me to dilute my BB (usually 4:1) according to the SC ratio (5:1).

Worked like a champ.

But my point really is that normally SC is meant to be diluted too (5:1), unless they also sell it pre-mixed and you happen to have one of those.

-Chris

Sew Clean simply instructs to flush a quart down the head and let sit for a prescribed length of time before flushing.

Somewhere on the Sew Clean website it states it assumes the average head uses a gallon per flush. So their ratio would be 4:1.

Raritan’s more detailed instruction calling for 3 gallons total seems to want to insure there’s enough product in the hoses.

The first time I used it having followed the directions, after a half hour or so there was a loud explosion. I guess a gas build up occurred with nowhere to exit except whence it came- back out the toilet blowing the lid up and redepositing Sew Clean all over. After that I left the overboard seacock open and have not had a recurrence.

Follow up:
Well, I simply followed the Sew Clean instructions.
Poured the recomended amount in the bowl and flushed with the estimated amount of raw water.

I did this 1st in the head with the longest run which was the aft head.
While in the “soaking phase”, gas bubbles percolated up into the forward head. Probably need to replace the joker valve but this gave me an indicator of progress. Fair number of large bubbles in the beginning slowly tapering off to none.

Repeated the process 1 more time in the aft head and then through the forward head.

Seems to have worked. More time and use will tell for sure...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom