Seabrake experiences?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Has anybody used a Seabrake, and if so, could you share what you think of this product?

Seabrake

We live on Canada's north coast of British Columbia, at the head of a channel which winds its way 60 miles inland between mountain ranges. Afternoon 25 knot summer winds and big winter storms marching up the channel are quite common, and the confined waters make for steep & short frequency breaking waves that also rebound off sections of near vertical rocky shorelines.

This product looks like a game changer when coming home in a following sea...

These guys surely needed one of those!
Check out the strength of this mast- The boat stopped, the bow came out of the water, then it finally snaps. They are lucky someone didn't get clobbered.

LiveLeak.com - Sailboat vs Bridge

Hi MurrayM
very intersting gear!
Unfortunately, no one seems to have experience with it.
How expensive is Seabrake in the US?
Karl

From the link, it is a Burke Marine product. They are an Australian sail and marine accessory manufacturer with a good reputation. Appears they license overseas manufacturers,which likely beats buying and shipping one from here.
It can be cheaper to buy in the US and pay freight to Australia, even for products made here.

I couldn't get the video to work, just sound.I have to agree with others though, it looks an interesting potential addition to the boat.

Bruce, like you I have had the odd 'exciting' trip out through the heads(Sydney Harbour) to Pittwater in a following sea. My only concern is how easy is the deployment in real time conditions. So far I have managed to retain all fingers and thumbs and I am keen to keep it that way.I wish I could have got the video to work.

I will keep a look out for them at the upcoming Sydney Boat show, and report back if I find anything of interest.

Here is another type of drogue that is a series of small fabric cones on a line.
It's called a series drogue and is supposed to be easier to handle than a single big drogue.
series drogue
Jordan Series Drogue

Bruce, like you I have had the odd 'exciting' trip out through the heads(Sydney Harbour) to Pittwater in a following sea. My only concern is how easy is the deployment in real time conditions. So far I have managed to retain all fingers and thumbs and I am keen to keep it that way.I wish I could have got the video to work..
I agree Andy, if the boat copes, why use one? A deployed drogue must create significant loads, presumably transmitted back by attached lines to the transom bollards.
I had one on a sailboat but never deployed it. In books I read on heavy weather sailing they were used by sailboats running off before a storm, often doing 6-8 knots under bare poles,( sometimes 6 knots "under no poles" after a 360 underwater turn). I don`t think they`d be used on coastal powerboats as much as offshore long distance cruisers

I don`t think they`d be used on coastal powerboats as much as offshore long distance cruisers

This one was designed for powerboats, and doesn't have the stopping power of a sea anchor, but is meant to slow the boats forward speed and add directional stability (while under power) in heavy following seas.

Last edited:
Drogues are tricky because they are not an all or nothing like a sea anchor...the drogue is supposed to be sized/adjusted for the conditions.....not a one size fits all so in extreme conditions the loads are stupendous when they don't need to be.

In some conditions a Dixie cup or coffee cup trailed aft would be perfect...other times you might need something just short of a para-anchor.

To me the most versatile drogue would be one of the long line types with the hundreds of little cups attached (no matter who is calling them what nowadays)...the usefulness comes with the ability to stream the amount needed for some control without overcontrol.

Having towed thousands of boats in all kinds of conditions...it is pretty obvious when the right amount of drag is applied for the speed you are trying to make and the sea conditions. When everything is good...if feels so nice...when a little off...it can be downright scary in a breaking inlet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom