Scad vs Globius vs ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44
We have a 20-gal fiberglass black water holding tank that I’d like to monitor. After reading about various level indicators, I’d appreciate recommendations for the most reliable externally mounted system. The surface of our tank is uneven—not knobby, but definitely not perfectly flat—so I don’t know how well one of these will work for us.

Thanks in advance.

This is what I can tell you. I installed a globius on a stainless steel water tank 5 years ago. My biggest concern was consistent reliability. Five years later, I have had no issues with it. No glitches and it has been very consistent. I can tell when the water tank is full, i can tell when I am in the safe zone. I can tell when it’s down to 1/4 tank and I can tell when I am in danger of actually running out.

I can’t give you any more accurate data than that. In other words the system is not accurate enough for me to use on a fuel tank.

I know your question is about black water on a fiberglass tank. I just don’t have that experience.

The only negative is that it took me three times to properly calibrate the system. Easy with a water tank, just run a faucet. Little harder with a black water tank but you could do it at a pump out station. This was probably due to installer (me) not properly reading the instructions.

Fwiw, Gobius is a Swedish import sold by dealers and distributors worldwide who may or may not offer any support. Their only single tank black tank monitor only reads 3/4 and full... is apparently only available from Marine Sanitation and Supply in Seattle for a price tag of $320.

SCAD is the top rated system and is made & supported in the US. They offer two systems--single tank and 2 tank...both of which display the actual level in the tank. Available from a variety of sources including Amazon...Defender's price is $<170

--Peggie

I Have 2 blackwater tanks and a Gobius system on each one. I would definitely worry about good performance if any of the sensors had to be placed on a surface that is not perfectly flat.

While the gauges have worked well for me ( a LOT better than the original float gauges), I was a bit surprised at how noisy these can be. If your blackwater tank is anywhere near a sleeping cabin, you will hear the "ultra sound" wooshing noise for each of the three sensors EVERY FIVE MINUTES or so. My workaround for this annoyance is leaving the gauges off and only turning them on occasionally to see if I'm getting anywhere near full.

Last edited:
I purchased the Globius single puck external mount for our plastic black water tank. It looses the bluetooth signal to your phone frequently and is not accurate. Support has been Ok, but they keep insisting it is operator error on my install and my Iphone.
Looking at the SCAD now, thanks Peggy

I have a SCAD for my 40 gallon holding tank. What to say? It installed easily and works. I have nothing to report beyond that.

I have a SCAD for my 40 gallon holding tank. What to say? It installed easily and works. I have nothing to report beyond that.
I equipped my last 2 boats with the SCAD system and they both worked extremely well!

I installed the Scad system on my 40 gallon fiberglass tank 6 years ago and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

Ken

+1 for scad. On my holding tank and zero issues.

Thanks, all.

For those with the Scad system, are your tank’s exterior walls smooth or, like mine, somewhat uneven?

For those with the Scad system, are your tank’s exterior walls smooth or, like mine, somewhat uneven?

A light sanding of that fiberglass wall might be answer if the sender has to be on a smooth surface....

--Peggie

Does it matter if the walls are smooth? This is a capacitative gauge, it just has to be held in place close to the liquid. If the walls are so rough that it won't stick and stay in place that's a problem, otherwise I can't see how it would make a difference. It will go over steps in the tank or joints, so what's a little roughness?

Does it matter if the walls are smooth? This is a capacitative gauge, it just has to be held in place close to the liquid. If the walls are so rough that it won't stick and stay in place that's a problem, otherwise I can't see how it would make a difference. It will go over steps in the tank or joints, so what's a little roughness?

Right. The metal strips applied to the outside of the tank are only measuring a change in the capacitance which is calibrated on EACH tank after install. If the metal strips are not making perfect contact with the tank (Like the tank is somewhat rough) this should be calibrated out. As Peggy states, perhaps you can sand the area a bit, but otherwise I would think it will work just fine as long as you have *some* contact for the length of the strips.

Ken

I have tried both Globius and SCAD on a very uneven fiberglass tank, and neither have worked. I didn't expect them to given how uneven the surface is, but I have no other method to determine tank levels.

I did try sanding things down a bit, but the surface is so uneven it was sort of a losing battle. Since my tank is pretty small, I had just planned on replacing it with a bigger plastic tank in the next year and having a better sensor at install time.

If you read through the SCAD features on their website Scad Tank Monitors , you'll see that they offer an internal sensor that has the sensor in a PVC tube, preventing tank contents from fouling it. It's meant for metal tanks, but there's no reason why it can't be used in fiberglass tanks or any material that can't use the external sensor. You'd need to provide the depth of the tank to get one that's the correct length. The only thing that should prevent you from using it is too little clearance above the tank to be able to insert the tube.

--Peggie

I used the SCAD on my rough exterior fiberglass holding tank.

It works fine.

If still concerned, run a sander up and down where the foil will go to smooth it out.

Thanks again, all. I ordered the Scad and will sand as suggested. Also, I finally heard back from Mike at at Scad and he thinks the external sensor will work. If not, I have room over the top to install an internal tube.

I realize that—as with so much in this era—an “uneven sidewall” is in the eye of the beholder. :thumb:

If the Scad doesn’t work, see if there is any improvement if you apply heavy direct pressure by hand on the sensor while it is taking the reading. If yes, maybe you can jury-rig something that will continuously apply more pressure to the sensor. I had to do this with one of my Gobius sensors. I used a cinch strap around the tank and over the sensor, with a small piece of wood wedged between the strap and the sensor for added concentrated pressure. Sounds ridiculous, I know, but this has worked for me six years running now.

If the Scad doesn’t work, see if there is any improvement if you apply heavy direct pressure by hand on the sensor while it is taking the reading. If yes, maybe you can jury-rig something that will continuously apply more pressure to the sensor. I had to do this with one of my Gobius sensors. I used a cinch strap around the tank and over the sensor, with a small piece of wood wedged between the strap and the sensor for added concentrated pressure. Sounds ridiculous, I know, but this has worked for me six years running now.

Thanks for the clever idea. I received the Scad today but it will likely be a week or so before I can install an test it.

Another great example of how TF really works..! Specific enquiry, met with not only actual experience by others, but an expert chiming in to confirm as well. Well done people.
:Thanx:

SCAD troubleshooting help needed

So I installed Scad on a plastic tank in May, it did not work and now have time to tinker with it. tap button to see level gets lights 0 to 3/4 rapid flashing then off regardless of actual level.
1) Installed two strips at one end of tank 2 inch from corner, 2 inch apart etc following direction. Triple checked wiring, maybe start over.
2) added overlapped two strips, still same read out.
I did not sand as it felt smooth, tape appears to be well bonded. maybe needs sanded.
Inside of tank has blotches of black, maybe that

So any troubleshooting ideas?

So I installed Scad on a plastic tank in May, it did not work and now have time to tinker with it. tap button to see level gets lights 0 to 3/4 rapid flashing then off regardless of actual level.
1) Installed two strips at one end of tank 2 inch from corner, 2 inch apart etc following direction. Triple checked wiring, maybe start over.
2) added overlapped two strips, still same read out.
I did not sand as it felt smooth, tape appears to be well bonded. maybe needs sanded.
Inside of tank has blotches of black, maybe that

So any troubleshooting ideas?

Sounds like it might be a programming issue. If you don't have the installation instructions handy you can download them at Support - TM Series Tank Monitors - SCAD Technologies

There is also a helpful youtube video available here

It took me multiple attempts to get my unit programmed correctly.

Sounds like it might be a programming issue. If you don't have the installation instructions handy you can download them at Support - TM Series Tank Monitors - SCAD Technologies

There is also a helpful youtube video available here

It took me multiple attempts to get my unit programmed correctly.
Thanks I have those vids.
I lost count how many times I programmed, then started and watched it go through cycle hitting all the solid lights where they should be.

Only additional thought is my display is TM2, 2 buttons suggesting two tanks. one terminal came without a wire attached. My thought was they are using the 2 tank display and just remove a wire.
I cannot find help on why E to 3/4 flashes when tap the 1, it must be a code

https://www.scadtech.com/TMHelp
This link is what I was searching for!
But without the link good luck finding it after clicking on Home on that webpage.
https://www.scadtech.com/home
I have been to the Home webpage a dozen times searching for help, troubleshooting, nada, the TMHelp cannot be found. Anyway, I have some voltages to check and wiring connections too.

I ended up calling them and confirmed that I was mis-programming the unit so that the full level was the same as the empty level. They did answer the phone though and was somewhat helpful. So you might try that. Also I ended up video-taping the display so that I could stop it and look up the settings. One of their questions was was the light on the sensor at the tank flashing? That is an indicator that it is wired right.

Back
Top Bottom