Rooftop Marine AC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncleg44

Veteran Member
Planning rooftop marine AC unit on our new build (under construction) TT35 trawler. Seeking comments & recommendations (pro/con) from anyone with direct experience with marine rooftop AC units.
Thanking you in advance,
George

They work fine but won't last as long as a good marine A/C. Maybe 5 years in a salt water environment instead of 15 for the marine unit. But given the cost difference, the RV unit is probably worth it, even if you have to replace it after several years.

David

What about draining the condensation with a rooftop A/C unit? Does it pool up there or do you have a hose that drains it to the side somewhere?

RV A/Cs like modern window units have a slinger that picks up condensate in the pan and slings it out with the condenser air. So it does not drain condensate unless the pan gets plugged up. The condensate also helps with thermal efficiency.

David

There are several roof mount A/C units specifically made for marine (not RV) use. Any feedback about these units?
Tks

Have you discussed this with the folks building your boat? Is this merely a cost issue? In the overall scheme of things in a new boat the difference between this and a marine unit seems kind of minimal, but then again it's not my wallet.

I've seen these rooftop units primarily on C-Dorys. You could also inquire with them and the owners forum: The C-Brats :: Home

We had a rooftop unit hidden under the flybridge of thee olde Mainship. Worked fine, was loud and the drain line was kind of unsightly as there was no way to really hide it.

Worked for the 11 years we had it and who knows how long for the previous owner. If I was building a new boat I would spring for a real marine a/c, the peace and quiet would be worth the price IMHO.

:socool:

I was recently on a friend's 42 foot Meridian. Impressive use of space. Acs on his boat were installed under helm on footbridge. Quiet and cooled well. Because air handler was on the fly bridge you could barely hear it running. I likeee.

Don't forget you will need a genny to power it underway or at anchor. Have yet to hear how they plan to do the genny on the TT35. My understanding is Hull #2 is using a traditional marine genny (thru hull).

Back
Top Bottom