Roof Top Units

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
I have an old roof top unit that I'm wanting to replace this year . Has anyone here had any experience with the Coleman Mach 8 Low Profile Roof top unit ?

There are specific Roof top units made for marine apps,

About $900 instead of $500- $600 for an RV unit .

Not sure what the difference is .

I have seen RV units over a decade old .

I would look for a really modern unit that starts on low amps and can eat crap dock voltage.

FF who makes the marine roof top units???? I have a Coleman for 4 years now, working great, runs 24/7 during the summer.

FF who makes the marine roof top units???? I have a Coleman for 4 years now, working great, runs 24/7 during the summer.

Interesting post as Im looking at AC before next summer looking at all options Q. What size area do you have and unit size ?

Is this Coleman unit on your boat ? Is it quiet
enough ? I was also thinking a split unit .

I just looked up Roof Top Marine air and Coleman makes one called SeaMach .

The difference between RV and marine is the materials (stainless 316, etc.) and other corrosion protection.

I have a 15,000 btu Colman Mach 15 $552.00 , noise is same as a motorhome on the inside, a little noisy on high fan. What I like is that it has more blower speed than the boat type a/c.

Last edited:
I have a 15,000 btu Colman Mach 15 $552.00 , noise is same as a motorhome on the inside, a little noisy on high fan. What I like is that it has more blower speed than the boat type a/c.
That sounds like a great price . Is that just Ac and no heat strips ? I really just need the ac .

Last edited:
You could run that thing on a Yamaha 2400 generator. Don't know if it's got a soft start capacitor so that might also be needed.

"What I like is that it has more blower speed than the boat type a/c."

The other huge advantage is,, since warm air rises no duct work for a return system is required .

And of course the units are cheap enough , and so EZ to R&R that old units can be dumped rather than begging the local "expert" to visit.

No extra holes in the bottom and no extra water pump are nice too.

You could run that thing on a Yamaha 2400 generator. Don't know if it's got a soft start capacitor so that might also be needed.
I run mine off my westerbeke 7.5 generator . Mine is old and loud but puts out plenty of cold air . The aft supply is a little close to the wheelhouse wall (3"). I would like to change positions of the supply vents . I have a redneck drain that that could use a little attention. I'm thinking a new low profile unit with a drain pan and maybe turn it 90 degrees.

Attachments

• IMG_2913.JPG
    IMG_2913.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
In my motorhome life I did not like the low profile units, seems like they did not cool like the standard model. I went to the local sheet metal shop and had a pan made with drains where needed.

Yes just A/C

Greetings,
Mr. PM. I like that "redneck drain". Tie on a piece of fishin' line and trawl for dinner...

In my motorhome life I did not like the low profile units, seems like they did not cool like the standard model. I went to the local sheet metal shop and had a pan made with drains where needed.

Yes just A/C
Thanks for the info . Do you think I could rotate the mach 15 to get my supply to run starboard and port rather than fore and
aft ? If not I guess I could fabricate something to send the aft supply downward .

Last edited:
Dometic Brisk II

I installed a Dometic 15K BTU roof top on my hard top last summer. I had to kill the green house heat when stuck at the locks. This unit has 5 outlets ... each of the 4 sides and one bottom behind intake. I opted for heat strip to take chill off. Relatively easy install but I had a roof centered electrical duct that I had to contend with. See photos

Attachments

• DSCN0403.jpg
    DSCN0403.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN0413.jpg
    DSCN0413.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 79
I installed a Dometic 15K BTU roof top on my hard top last summer. I had to kill the green house heat when stuck at the locks. This unit has 5 outlets ... each of the 4 sides and one bottom behind intake. I opted for heat strip to take chill off. Relatively easy install but I had a roof centered electrical duct that I had to contend with. See photos
Thanks for the info . That's a nice set up . I like the four outlets . I think that will work perfect for us .Was the picture taken at Pickwick ?

The photo is Bay Hill Village - Lucy's Branch Marina. There are 3 condo developments in our community.

FYI: The bottom of the unit has the intake forward (grill with round holes) and a bottom outlet with on / off slider (slots either side of controls). Many ways to adjust output.

Thanks for the info . Do you think I could rotate the mach 15 to get my supply to run starboard and port rather than fore and
aft ? If not I guess I could fabricate something to send the aft supply downward .

The opening should be 14x14 and the unit does not know if it is facing north or south east or west just so electrical cord works out right

I run mine off my westerbeke 7.5 generator . Mine is old and loud but puts out plenty of cold air . The aft supply is a little close to the wheelhouse wall (3"). I would like to change positions of the supply vents . I have a redneck drain that that could use a little attention. I'm thinking a new low profile unit with a drain pan and maybe turn it 90 degrees.

you can buy drain cups that hook to 1/2 hose and screw onto the bottom of the unit.

drainkitpartial.gif

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/dometic-penguin-drain-kit-104778.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom