rim drive bow thruster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dutch-barge

We are going to add a bow thruster to our boat.

Now they do make an awful noise, and can only be used a few minutes / hr

So I stumbled across the Vetus Rim Drive @ 125 KGF. ( 6.7 KW)

https://www.vetus.com/en/thruster-systems/electric-bow-thrusters/vetus-rimdrive-thruster-rd125.html

yes it is more expensive as the 'normal system'

but is it more quiet
smaller
can be locked...essy for docking
had C- can wiring so easily to add a 2nd station
less maintenance

Has anybody any experience with this?

Thanks

That design does not appeal to me at all, with a traditional configuration, whether electric or hydraulic, the motor can be serviced without hauling the boat, it also appears that two separate tunnel sections are connected via this unit and the clamps seal the connection, this looks like a very large opportunity for failure. In my area, thrusters are briefly used for docking and the noise is not a major concern in my opinion. I can see how it may be of greater concern in a canal environment if using it more frequently, I would still favor another option.

If you are worried that a conventional electric bow thruster can be used only a few minutes / hr, you do not have a good understanding of how a bow thruster is supposed to be used. And the noise is not that bad for a few seconds.

A conventional bow thruster should be fine for you, they work for everyone else. If you believe you need a continuous duty bow thruster, look into a hydraulic thruster. Expensive and you will have to add a hydraulic pump to your engine, but you'll be able to use it to do donuts in the marina fairway.

Since the put all the effort into rim drive, you wonder why they didn't use a hubless prop. These are nearly clog proof. That's the only reason I could see to do it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom