Replace Princess Stove Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seasalt007

Guru
Vessel Name
Aweigh
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 42
Does anyone know of an electric cook top.. only...that will fill the width/depth dimensions after removal of a Princess Seaward Stove/Oven?

The plan was to remove the gas stove/oven and replace it with a Force 10 three burner electric cook top but the W/D cut out is different enough that it will require quite a bit of modification.

A free standing convection/microwave oven would be built in under the cook top.

I don't think that a glass cook top necessarily has to be made for marine use so maybe there is a household unit that will fit.

The strange thing is that the Force 10 stove/oven with a Force 10 trim kit will exactly fit the Princess W/D hole but the Force 10 cook top will not.

If all this sounds familiar see the DW and propane posts.

I'd try Defender or Fisheries Supply in Seattle for electric cooktop options. Force 10 seems to be the big player in this market, and electric options are few compared to propane. Funny that the cooktop dimensions don't jive with Princess unit you're removing. These appliance makers know about the sizing of OEM units that have been installed when boats are built.

I'm spiffing up our galley and removing the same 120 volt 3 burner/oven unit that you have, but replacing it with a like-kind Force 10. A drop - in replacement, so easy to do. I like having an old style oven and don't mind running the genset to use it . I know that I'm in a distinct minority in wanting this type of stove when more efficient options are available, but it's what we want.

I replaced our electric Princess Seaward Stove/Oven with an electric cooktop and microware/convection oven. My counter top cut out had to be increased about a half inch in both the width and depth. But that was easy with a jig saw. The hard part was rebuilding the front cabinet and a shelf for the microwave/convection oven because I had to move 2 cabinet doors to get it all into the same space.

Fog,

Can you post a link to the cook top you installed?

Thanks

Princess makes a cook top only that may be the same dimensions.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I have one of those on my boat shelf. Took it out a few years ago when I updated the galley. I'd be happy to sell it to you if you're interested. Just PM me .

I'm pretty sure I have one of those on my boat shelf. Took it out a few years ago when I updated the galley. I'd be happy to sell it to you if you're interested. Just PM me .

I think Princess turned into Whale... or something like that.

When I've looked for softcopy documentation of our 2-burner Princess cooktop -- partly because I was also thinking about possible eventual replacement with an induction version -- I found it (I guess) on the Whale website.

-Chris

Princess Seaward is now Whale Pump's Seaward line (406-686-9677). I just spoke to them and the three burner Seaward is very close to being able to drop into the W x D opening. I am going to have to go to the boat and see if I can make it work.

Princess overall is 21 3/4 W x 19 7/16 D
cut out is 20 7/16 W x 18 7/8 D

Whale overall is 22 W x 20 D
cutout is 21 3/8 W x 19 3/8 D

The customer service lady said the Whale would sit on top of the counter and should be close to a drop in.

We'll see

Last edited:
I found an exact replacement for my Seaward/Whale 2247AC-5100. I dont remember the exact situation because I dont have my notes any more. I had the Seaward 2247 Stovetop. When I called Sure Marine in Seattle, they had 2 similar models and the specs for one of them was only a fraction of an inch different from my original and the other was right on. The difference I believe was the -5100 at the end of the model No.
i could be wrong, anyway, the salesman, Todd Glenn knew exactly what I needed and it fit right in. His email is todd@suremarine.com.

The customer service lady said the Whale would sit on top of the counter and should be close to a drop in.

Did you happen to ask whether they have any induction cooktops that would be direct replacements for earlier products?

-Chris

Did you happen to ask whether they have any induction cooktops that would be direct replacements for earlier products?

-Chris

Wouldn't that be nice. Of course it would obsolete their coil burner stove tops. Can't have too much progress involving a 45 year old Princess design.

Great single burner portable induction tops can be had for less than $100. We have one onboard. It runs quite well off the PSW inverter, especially nice when under way.

Wouldn't that be nice. Of course it would obsolete their coil burner stove tops. Can't have too much progress involving a 45 year old Princess design.

Great single burner portable induction tops can be had for less than $100. We have one onboard. It runs quite well off the PSW inverter, especially nice when under way.

I'd forgotten about the coil burners... simply because I don't remember ever seeing those in an inset cooktop... only on a "real" stove/oven thing.

Our inset Princess cooktop is ceramic, so that's what I'd been thinking about...

-Chris

I see a lot of posts about induction cooking. Could someone give me a briefing on Induction 101? I don't know anything about it.

Google it. Consumer reports etc has lots of information.The system has been around for a very long time especially in Europe. We like it much better than gas in our homes. A popular choice for those with all electric boat leanings.

About 1/2 the power draw of electric and no hot burners to deal with. A magnetic kettle is needed to get the EMFs working right. I first saw the technology over half a century ago in chemistry class where the concept was used to stir glass beakers with a magnet in the bottom.

Last edited:
What ever is chosen , for a boat a gymboled range will be safer than a bolted one,gas or electric.

Second help would be a great set of sea rails to keep the boiling food in place ,
so the guy slowing from 20K down to "only 10K'in the anchorage does less damage.

Low budget a pressure cooker with a secure lid might hit ,but not scald the cook.

I would likely do something like 2 of these if I got rid of my Princess oven.

https://www.amazon.com/1800-Watt-Portable-Induction-Countertop-8300ST/dp/B0045QFER4

2 of these is under $200

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L2OH52S?psc=1&smid=A3ACUPJ4C2HX16
This one is only $50.

Advantage, you don't need to have these builtin. They can sit on the countertop. Or anywhere you want to cook. Take them with you.

We use a True Induction potrable cooktop havong removed the ill-perfoming very old original Princess stove with its near useless oven. Installed a cutting board over the opening and use the cooktop there. We have shelving underneath. This arrangement gives us the option of cooking without having to use the generator.

Recognizing that most boat buyers might be put off by this arrangement, at some point I am going to cut out a portion of the cutting board and drop in a permanent cooktop tied to the 110 sustem only. We'll keep the portable unit as just another option. Our oven option is a $90 Oster table top oven which works well enough to do a good-sized rime rib, baked potatoes, cookies, and muffins. We have a small 700 watt microwave on a shelf I installed above the sink. Our boat is a Defever 44.

When I called Sure Marine in Seattle, they had 2 similar models and the specs for one of them was only a fraction of an inch different from my original and the other was right on. The difference I believe was the -5100 at the end of the model No.
i could be wrong, anyway, the salesman, Todd Glenn knew exactly what I needed and it fit right in. His email is todd@suremarine.com.

I got back on this today and talked to Todd at Sure Marine. He said that Seaward was getting out of the cooktop business at the end of the year but he could still get one. The model closest to the Princess Stove/Oven cut out size in terms of W x D is the three burner 3247 which comes in 120v or 240v.

He pointed me to the Kenyon website (www.cookwithkenyon.com) and said he was going to try and build a relationship with them after Seaward was gone. The three burner Kenyon that best fits the cut out is the Caribbean, model B40608 (120) and the B40609 (240). These are a couple hundred bucks more than the Seawards but are closer to the actual cut out of the Princess being replaced.

I can go either way but is there a real difference on a boat cooking with 120 volts versus 240 volts?

Last edited:
Did any of those folks speak to an induction possibility?

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom