Refrigerator/Freezer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another option

We are liveaboards and it replacing my frig today I would give "CoolBlue Refrigeration" a long look. They seem to have a good system and very flexible.

I am thinking i need to replace my norcold 7cft unit. Runs 100% of the time in the south florida heat and has a hard time lowering box temperature when I load new food. Any suggestions on what to replace it with?

Whatever you replace it with, consider adding a low-cost computer fan beside the condensing coil. Costs almost nothing to run in power terms and will significantly reduce cycle times

just got back to the boat last night after being gone for a month, my nor-old is no longer cold, time to replace it. I'm thinking bout a Vitrifrigo. I've never seen behind one of these units, are they plug and play or is there some Plumbing/electrical involved?
Thanks

Ours is pretty much plug and play. A 110 volt AC plug, two wires for the DC which you will need to fuse or breaker, and a hose for the condensate drain which I ran to the bilge. That drain is only used when you defrost and it is so nice not needing to deal with the mess of defrosting water and getting it out. It just goes down this drain hose. I think ours is maybe 1/2 inch or so.

Thanks Roger, I may just drive down to defender today and pick one up.

Refrigerator

Installed a Nova-Kool RFU9000 about 10 days ago. It's working great unlike the previous Dometic I had. Decided on Nova-Kool because of the front venting. No additional venting is required. Also freezer compartment is on the bottom with its own "cold plate". Compressor seems to be running about half the time which should give me a much lower daily amperage use when on the hook.

"Installed a Nova-Kool RFU9000"

Good choice , is there extra room around the unit that could be used for more insulation?

MORE IS better. Glue it on.

They used to make a DC only version , for most folks the boat already has a good battery charger .

The built in AC to DC converter would not be missed or need to be replaced.

Last edited:
The next time I pull out the fridge to clean I'll check to see if I could add some sheets of insulation. Forgot to do that prior to installation. Can you suggest what type of insulation sheets. Plain Styrofoam sheets may not be that efficient

Thanks Roger, I may just drive down to defender today and pick one up.

Heck, after much reading and a few failed attempts to get what I wanted ordered I just went ahead and ordered a Norcold DE-0061 direct replacement. I figure it will easily outlast the years I'm gonna own the boat. It was easy and cheap, 1350 bucks to my friends shop.

Heck, after much reading and a few failed attempts to get what I wanted ordered I just went ahead and ordered a Norcold DE-0061 direct replacement. I figure it will easily outlast the years I'm gonna own the boat. It was easy and cheap, 1350 bucks to my friends shop.

My old norcold has a scroll type compressor, the new ones have the Danfoss veritable speed compressor, should be better.

"It was cheap. 1350 bucks"
Man, I think I joined the wrong forum:):)!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

"Can you suggest what type of insulation sheets"

Where the insulation will cause condensation is unknown.

The blue stuff is what we use as it will drain should it get wet.

The Isobal-bala-blaa stuff has a higher R rating , but only if DRY!

I just installed a Nova Kool, but I posted about it in the other fridge thread. I'll have a review after our first trip with it this weekend.

I just installed a Nova Kool, but I posted about it in the other fridge thread. I'll have a review after our first trip with it this weekend.

Interested to hear what your opinion of the compressor noise level is when the boat is otherwise quiet. My 14 yeard old norcold can clearly be heard 20' away, downstairs, through a closed stateroom door. Still works well, but it's really noisy.

Ted

The only noise I hear is from the cooling fan. No vibration, rattling of any other "fridge" noises. The Norcold sounded like a small outboard but it was old, really old. After listening to the fan on this new one for a couple of days I am thinking its louder but I'm probably just getting used to it.

I'm curious how this "new" Norcold is going to work. Should be here Monday and I'll post my thoughts after the install.

Interested to hear what your opinion of the compressor noise level is when the boat is otherwise quiet. My 14 yeard old norcold can clearly be heard 20' away, downstairs, through a closed stateroom door. Still works well, but it's really noisy.

Ted

We never hear either of our NovaKool fridges running...

-Chris

The only noise I WANT to hear is the FW pump.

If it goes off while I'm in the sack , pulling the CB and fixing the leak in the AM is fine.

We've had Nova-Kool RFS7501 W/faux teak door panels since 2012 and its been running flawlessly 24/7. When I forgot to plug the boat in, the refrigerator turned off so my batteries would not completely drain. Water was contained inside the unit once thawed. As far as noise, I don't hear the unit at all. I've really never thought about it, I'll have to listen for the cycling next time I'm out. We use it DC exclusively, although it does have the AC option.

Finally got the NorCold installed, a straight forward job except for cutting 1/2 inch out of my header opening to allow for the computer that sits on top of the unit. At this point (a few days after install) I have to say I'm fairly satisfied. The danforth compressor is very quiet but I get a gurgling sound in the freezer when the compressor is on that sounds like a coffee pot boiling...haven't called them yet on that. The first unit was damaged and I sent it back, a terrible packing effort on NorColds part, surprised every ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439344877.698220.jpgone sent out isn't damaged. Total price, installed myself, about 1300 bucks.

Finally got the NorCold installed.... The danforth compressor is very quiet but I get a gurgling sound in the freezer when the compressor is on that sounds like a coffee pot boiling...haven't called them yet on that..../QUOTE]
Check the Manual, our recently acquired domestic 2 door fridge/freezer came with a warning to expect odd clicking tapping etc noises.
(That "danforth" compressor could work as an anchor in emergency:))

Danfoss Danforth Danboone there're all good compressors :oldman:

Finally got the NorCold installed, a straight forward job except for cutting 1/2 inch out of my header opening to allow for the computer that sits on top of the unit. At this point (a few days after install) I have to say I'm fairly satisfied. The danforth compressor is very quiet but I get a gurgling sound in the freezer when the compressor is on that sounds like a coffee pot boiling...haven't called them yet on that. The first unit was damaged and I sent it back, a terrible packing effort on NorColds part, surprised every View attachment 43087one sent out isn't damaged. Total price, installed myself, about 1300 bucks.

Beautiful install. Are the wood inserts an option or custom??

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

"I get a gurgling sound in the freezer when the compressor is on that sounds like a coffee pot boiling.."

Tiny refrigeration systems use a "Cap tube" to meter the freon liquid as it squirts into the evaporator plate. Its just a pin hole.

Thats what you hear liquid , evaporating in the unit.

The sound of ice cream being kept cold!!

Enjoy

The old fridge had the teak slats and I was able to salvage them. The new fridge doors are different sizes so I had to get creative.
Thanks

Beautiful install. Are the wood inserts an option or custom??

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

"I get a gurgling sound in the freezer when the compressor is on that sounds like a coffee pot boiling.."

Tiny refrigeration systems use a "Cap tube" to meter the freon liquid as it squirts into the evaporator plate. Its just a pin hole.

Thats what you hear liquid , evaporating in the unit.

The sound of ice cream being kept cold!!

Enjoy

Thanks for that info

Back
Top Bottom