Recommendation Wanted: Naval Architect for Paravane Design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
FORTITUDE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 54-8
We'd like to add paravanes to our KK54 this winter. Anyone have a line on a good naval architect/engineer who could help us get the ball rolling? PNW preferred.

Beebe's book 'Voyaging Under Power' discusses paravanes, which might be a good warm-up before engaging a N.A.

The nice folks with the Cruising Sea Venture you tube channel had some paravane outriggers fitted in Port Townsend. I suspect, but do not know, the design work was done nearby, here in the PNW.

You may want to look them up (they are TFers) and have a discussion. It has been almost 3 years since their install if I recall correctly, and they have cruised some serious miles. They will have credible input.

There is a marine business in Seattle that custom design and fabricate paravanes. I cannot recall company name presently but am thinking real hard.

They are always at Marine Expo, which is canceled for this year.

The company name starts with a "C" I think.

I'll let you know when I remember.

Prime Fabrication in California manufacturers fish.

They might assist with the poles.

Beebe's book 'Voyaging Under Power' discusses paravanes, which might be a good warm-up before engaging a N.A.

Thanks Ken. I’ve read that book through and through and it’s influence is no small part of our decision to add passive stabilization over active fins.

The nice folks with the Cruising Sea Venture you tube channel had some paravane outriggers fitted in Port Townsend. I suspect, but do not know, the design work was done nearby, here in the PNW.

You may want to look them up (they are TFers) and have a discussion. It has been almost 3 years since their install if I recall correctly, and they have cruised some serious miles. They will have credible input.

Jim and Rosie are amazing. We had a chance to spend time with them going over their paravanes and superstructure and deck replacement and new paint job in detail when they were in our home marina for a few days.

The super cool thing about them was when we said hey come on over if you get a chance and check out our boat - and they did. Much to our surprise they came over the next day and we discussed how paravanes might be fitted to our KK54.

Good people in boating.

Good Evening, Jim here from Sea Venture (Cruising Sea Venture) on youtube. We had paravane system designed and installed in Port Townsend as another member mentioned. The naval architect was Johnathan Moore out of Port Townsend. When we were doing our research we talked with a lot of commercial fishing boat folks and they all recommended the co-op. If you want, you can see an entire video series on our design and build on our youtube channel. Feel free to reach out with any questions or anything we can help with.
Thanks,
Jim and Rosy Addington
M/V Sea Venture
CruisingSeaVenture@Gmail.com
www.youtube.com/CruisingSeaVenture

Should be no need for a NA , any of the companies that MFG the fish will have expertise to assist.

There is NO "perfect " size like an anchor system a large variety of sizing can work.

Measure the vessels roll period , run from side to side and time from low on one side to low again , same side , and give the time ( in seconds ) to the fish builders.

This will tell how soft or stiff the vessel is and be a guide for sizing.

Back
Top Bottom