Old 05-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #1

City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
A sh!ty Situation

I have an Eltra Sans on our 42' Californian. After using the troubleshooting tips from the nice folks over a Raritan in Ft. Lauderdale I concluded I had a bad electrode pack.

Still dealing with back troubles from my surgery I got the number of Ray Blake. He is the local expert on these systems around this area.

Ray came out and confirmed my diagnosis. He also discovered my mixer motor was not working.

Long story short, he had to remove the unit this morning and take it up to Raritan to be fixed.

I like doing my own work so, though it is going to cost more, at least I know I did best I could before waiving the white flag.

Hopefully he can get it back and get it back in tomorrow as the kids and Grandkids all want to go down the ICW Saturday.

Ray said if he couldn't get it back he'd bring buckets for everyone! Super nice guy. Recommended!

God it stinks in here! 😜
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:48 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Father it seems like you have picked a bit of a toilet mouth as well since the trawler purchase . Hang in there you'll get out of the head before long and then you'll have new challenges . I just rebuilt my y valve at the exit from holding tank . It was not pretty either .
Old 05-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
1) Open windows.
2) Get glass.
3) Put ice in glass.
4) Fill glass with rum and a splash of Coke.
5) Sit back, enjoy, the day, and think of those poor bastards slaving over a lawnmower....

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Father it seems like you have picked a bit of a toilet mouth as well since the trawler purchase . Hang in there you'll get out of the head before long and then you'll have new challenges . I just rebuilt my y valve at the exit from holding tank . It was not pretty either .

Hehe. Potty mouth. I must confess to using some colorful language since I began crawling around the bildge.

Say. I have two Y-valves. Both frozen solid. So these can be fixed instead of having to buy new ones? Please do tell.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
1) Open windows.
2) Get glass.
3) Put ice in glass.
4) Fill glass with rum and a splash of Coke.
5) Sit back, enjoy, the day, and think of those poor bastards slaving over a lawnmower....

Amen. But, if it's ok with you I'll have a Gin and tonic. They say of us Episcopalians, "wherever four or more are gathered you'll find a FIFTH!" 😚🍸

It has to be Captains hour somewhere right now!
Old 05-07-2015, 11:26 AM   #6
TF Site Team

I rebuilt mine . It is a jabsco I think . The was around 20$ . A new y valve 60$ . The kit is just the seals . Mine was easy , just stinky .
Old 05-07-2015, 11:29 AM   #7
TF Site Team

The difference between a Catholic and Baptist is the Catholic will always recognize each other in the liquor store.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #8

Quote:
The difference between a Catholic and Baptist is the Catholic will always recognize each other in the liquor store.

How true
Old 05-07-2015, 11:39 AM   #9

Quote:
I rebuilt mine . It is a jabsco I think . The was around 20$ . A new y valve 60$ . The kit is just the seals . Mine was easy , just stinky .

Good to know! Thank you
Old 05-07-2015, 11:56 AM   #10
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. frg. I'm with you in spirit. Two days ago I was doing a holding tank pump out and our aft head stopped pumping after the third rinse. Hoo boy! (or is it Poo boy?). A quick reference to Google and I was up to my elbows in....nope, not THAT...remember I said after the third rinse...disassembly of our vintage Raritan Crown. Quite scaled up and a very dead impeller and an even more dead joker valve. Suffice is to say, WM had the parts in stock and after a few hours I was a happy pooper again. I took the liberty of soaking the bronze? parts in On/Off (hydrochloric and phosphoric acid I think) and after much foaming was looking at a foundry fresh housing. NOT really a big job but I suspect if my back was out it would be bucket time for sure. Enjoy your cruise.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. frg. I'm with you in spirit. Two days ago I was doing a holding tank pump out and our aft head stopped pumping after the third rinse. Hoo boy! (or is it Poo boy?). A quick reference to Google and I was up to my elbows in....nope, not THAT...remember I said after the third rinse...disassembly of our vintage Raritan Crown. Quite scaled up and a very dead impeller and an even more dead joker valve. Suffice is to say, WM had the parts in stock and after a few hours I was a happy pooper again. I took the liberty of soaking the bronze? parts in On/Off (hydrochloric and phosphoric acid I think) and after much foaming was looking at a foundry fresh housing. NOT really a big job but i suspect if my back was out it would be bucket time for sure. Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks my friend. Guess it's just been a crappy week for several of us! LOL
Old 05-07-2015, 04:16 PM   #12
Guru

City: AR
Quote:
But Baptists will never recognize each at Hooters!
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
But Baptists will never recognize each at Hooters!

Ha! Hooters! Ah, sorry. What's that? 😘
Old 05-07-2015, 05:18 PM   #14
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Hooters, you know...Here's a pair...

Old 05-07-2015, 05:21 PM   #15

Oh yea! Gotcha! 😉
Old 05-07-2015, 06:16 PM   #16
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Mr RTF-Boy was I disappointed to get to the end of your post!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #17
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
How could a thread that started out with the word sh!ty in the title go down hill from there? Keep up the good work guys!

RTF, Duck Soup is playing at the Coral Gables Cinama in a couple of weeks. They're having a Marx Bros. retrospective.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:06 AM   #18
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
None of that is "potty mouth" - them's "boat words," used by real men and some Admirals as they confront the vagaries of mechanical stuff shoved into a space exactly half of the size it needs to be contained in to actually conduct repairs and maintenance and through it all runs a river of sh*t in tiny pipes that fail regularly. Boat words are part of everyone's boating education and should be spoken with the reverence they deserve. They have a long and storied history for as long as people have been going to sea.

The most powerful boat word is the "f" word, used in times of severe unpleasantness: "What the f was that?" Captain of the Titanic. "What the f is that thing in the water?" Captain of the Lusitania. This word has occasionally even been said by landlubbers: "Holy f is that bright!" Mayor of Hiroshima.

I would quote some more but I have to go to bed.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
None of that is "potty mouth" - them's "boat words," used by real men and some Admirals as they confront the vagaries of mechanical stuff shoved into a space exactly half of the size it needs to be contained in to actually conduct repairs and maintenance and through it all runs a river of sh*t in tiny pipes that fail regularly. Boat words are part of everyone's boating education and should be spoken with the reverence they deserve. They have a long and storied history for as long as people have been going to sea.

The most powerful boat word is the "f" word, used in times of severe unpleasantness: "What the f was that?" Captain of the Titanic. "What the f is that thing in the water?" Captain of the Lusitania. This word has occasionally even been said by landlubbers: "Holy f is that bright!" Mayor of Hiroshima.

I would quote some more but I have to go to bed.

The F word is so versatile. Can be use as verb adverb noun. The list goes on and on.

This guru has a funny way of explaining it on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/Fr2BeGmmjiY
Old 05-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #20

Please call today mr repair man and bring my Lectra Sans back. I want to go out tomorrow but I know the ladies - by which I am outnumbered will mutiny if I give them a homer bucket!

WWWWWAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

there, I feel better now