Raritan Marine Elegance Toilet leaking shaft seal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GordC

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Meander
Vessel Make
1981 Grand Mariner 40
I have installed Marine Elegance fresh water toilets in both heads some years ago and think they are great. The flush motor on the newer one which is 7 years old started getting really loud a few years ago. I checked the impellor last year and all was good. Last week the flush motor stopped working so I took it apart. It had a lot of shall we call "water" and corrosion in it. The bearings were sloppy and the brushes were seized which is probably why it stopped working. So because of a failed shaft seal which is worth a few dollars I am stuck with paying hundreds for a new motor. My question is has anyone had the same experience.

"So because of a failed shaft seal which is worth a few dollars I am stuck with paying hundreds for a new motor."

New motor may not always be necessary , a local shop may be able to restore it to 100% and perhaps install a better seal.

I'd have thought Raritan would offer an inexpensive rebuild kit, which would include a new shaft seal... Perhaps check for that possibility....

-Chris

Have you called Raritan to ask if there's a way to solve the problem for a lot less than the price of a new motor? This is the first I've heard of this type of failure--failures of any kind in an Elegance are VERY rare, so I think they'd want to know about it. If it turns out to be caused by a sub-standard part (they've occasionally gotten a "run" of bad components in other toilets over the years and have replaced equipment long out of warranty for free). They can't know you have one unless you report it. Whether that is the case here or not, you have nothing to lose by calling 'em. 800-352-5630

--Peggie

Have you called Raritan to ask if there's a way to solve the problem for a lot less than the price of a new motor? This is the first I've heard of this type of failure--failures of any kind in an Elegance are VERY rare, so I think they'd want to know about it. If it turns out to be caused by a sub-standard part (they've occasionally gotten a "run" of bad components in other toilets over the years and have replaced equipment long out of warranty for free). They can't know you have one unless you report it. Whether that is the case here or not, you have nothing to lose by calling 'em. 800-352-5630

--Peggie

^^^EXCELLENT suggestion^^^

Thanks for all your suggestions. I did call Raritan. They were very helpful with troubleshooting and gave me the part number for a new motor pump assembly if I needed one. I hadn't nailed it down to the shaft seal at that time. I will call again to let them know. Unfortunately I have already ordered the part. Patience has never been one of my strengths. I must say though, I will feel better with a new motor as the old one looks pretty messed up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom