Raritan Heads anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave_E

Vessel Name
Agnus Dei
Vessel Make
36' Shin Shing
Hi All,

The new old Eagle 36 Trawler has 2 electric heads, a small 5 gallon tank and a macerator. Now we all know in today's marine word that is a no no unless I'm out in the big ocean. So I'm planning on a decent sized holding tank and want nothing to do with salt water flushing. We got rid of that in our sailboat, had to pour in fresh water (pain), but had NO smells in our boat for 4 years!

I just saw the Raritan head (never heard of it). Does anyone have one? Work? Thoughts?

Thanks - Dave

We have a Raritan Atlantes A5 fresh water head in the master head which was the top of the line in its day, and we're very happy with it. From the PO's records, it appears to have been installed in 1999. I don't see in the PO's records that any parts were replaced, that there were any specific problems with it, or repairs were made. While the PO's records have been a good accounting of the boat's maintenance, there's no guarantee that every maintenance action was recorded. The head works flawlessly today.

It is a ceramic 'household style' appliance that feels nice and sturdy to sit on. Flushing turns on the macerator (and pump?) which are not silent but not so noisy that someone asleep is disturbed. I can't compare it to other products, because I simply don't have equivalent experience with anything else.

In summary, it's a fine product that few complain about.

Raritan is an excellent company with good tech support etc. I have an icer ette, and 2 crown heads.

Another vote for Raritan. I have converted my last two boats to the SeaEra series heads. On one I used their conversion unit, and in my current boat I upgraded the entire head. They are well-designed, quality units and I couldn't be happier with the results.

Raritan was also very helpful when I needed help troubleshooting a Lectra San system on my last boat. They are definitely my 'go-to' source for all things sanitation.

Recently completed a 3 week cruise to the Bahamas on our relatively smallish boat, and my dear wife reiterated that she hates the manual pump head on our boat. I need to address this but don't really know if I can tackle this job.

I assume I will have to run heavy gauge wire for a Raritan type macerating head, but that's hard to do in my boat without a central bilge. The nearest heavy wire I could jump off of would be the windlass. Would that work?

Also, how would one convert from saltwater flush to freshwater? That seems complicated. Maybe I could use all the AC condensate water in the bilge to flush with! [emoji30]

Don't mean to high jack...

I've been using 2 Raritan Crown heads in my boat for the last 12 years. These use raw water to flush. They have been bullet-proof reliable. Raritan customer support is excellent. Two years ago I replaced the motors and pumps with remanufactured units as a preventative maintenance item, returning my cores to them for credit. Great product and company.

Raritan Engineering has been making top rated manual and electric toilets since the '60s. They're the last US toilet mfr left who still makes everything here. They offer several electric macerating toilets, three of which are designed to use onboard pressurized fresh water...which one did you see that prompted you to ask about them?

You can explore their entire line on their website: Raritan Home

As for a new holding tank, Ronco Plastics Ronco Plastics marine Tanks no relation to the VegoMatic Ronco) is your best source. They make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and has more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

It`s easy to overlook that Jabsco units in use will frighten away any seabirds which may land on your boat.

Raritan

Installed a Raritan SeaEra electric toilet last year. Plumbed it for fresh water flush. It's great. Toilet has a built in macerator so never had a glog....at least so far. Has 2 flush modes...water saver for #1 and normal for #2. Both use very little water, maybe half a liter for normal flush, if that. But it is clean and fresh water means no smells. To get the 2 flush modes you need the extra cost smart switch but it is worth it. Standard house size seat is very comfortable too. Absolutely no problems so far. Oh yes, the admiral loves it, which really makes it all worthwhile.
Oldersalt

We have a Raritan Atlantes A5 fresh water head in the master head which was the top of the line in its day, and we're very happy with it. From the PO's records, it appears to have been installed in 1999. I don't see in the PO's records that any parts were replaced, that there were any specific problems with it, or repairs were made. While the PO's records have been a good accounting of the boat's maintenance, there's no guarantee that every maintenance action was recorded. The head works flawlessly today.

It is a ceramic 'household style' appliance that feels nice and sturdy to sit on. Flushing turns on the macerator (and pump?) which are not silent but not so noisy that someone asleep is disturbed. I can't compare it to other products, because I simply don't have equivalent experience with anything else.

In summary, it's a fine product that few complain about.

Dauntless also has two of the Altantes and I'm very happy with them.
Occasionally I find it helps to run hot water thru them and "empty bowl flush" (flush, no water) at the same time.

If someone does dump too much paper in it, just hold down the empty bowl flush until the bowl is empty, then hit normal flush and it works great.

About 18 months ago I installed a Raritan Marine Elegance and could not be more pleased , my wife too.
Easy install with 1 inch discharge, multiple flush options.
Lived on for 6 months last winter and worked perfectly.

Bill
36 Shannon Voyager

Installed a Raritan SeaEra electric toilet last year. Plumbed it for fresh water flush. It's great. Toilet has a built in macerator so never had a glog....at least so far. Has 2 flush modes...water saver for #1 and normal for #2. Both use very little water, maybe half a liter for normal flush, if that. But it is clean and fresh water means no smells. To get the 2 flush modes you need the extra cost smart switch but it is worth it. Standard house size seat is very comfortable too. Absolutely no problems so far. Oh yes, the admiral loves it, which really makes it all worthwhile.

Oldersalt

I recently had a mate on the boat for a few days. He's a regular guy, not fancy, and he said my very basic Jabsco manual pump toilet is a PITA. My wife has been complaining about it for awhile now, but I guess maybe it really is bad if a dude complains about it. [emoji30]

Sooooooo, I guess it time to do something. Sh$t or get off the pot as my dear grandmother used to say. The thing that turns people off is the pumping, so I need a macerating toilet I suppose. I've been putting this job off because I HATE working on the waste system in my boat. It's just gross IMO, but I guess I need to hold my nose and do it.

Another reason I've been putting it off is because I will have to run some heavy wires to the toilet I suppose, and everything on my boat is hard to get to since I don't have a regular bilge but a sailboat type bilge under the floors.

How many amps do these macerating toilets pull? Will I have to run wires directly to the batteries?

Is installing a toilet a fairly straight forward remove and replace, or is it more involved? I can R&R stuff but not very good if I have to customize or fabricate things.

I also need to replace my hoses, and I think my Y valves are leaking a bit so I need to replace those as well I guess. How do I make this operation less gross??

I'm not looking forward to this!

Last edited:
How many amps do these macerating toilets pull? Will I have to run wires directly to the batteries?

Sea water versions draw about 15-16 amps. Pressurized fresh water water versions draw about 10 amps. Toilets need to be on their own dedicated circuit with dedicated circuit breaker, shared by nothing else--not even cabin lights--that can reduce power to the toilet...low voltage will damage the motor. Wiring instructions are spelled out the Raritan Installation, Operation and Maintenance Instructions. Note that the distance measurement is always ROUND TRIP, not just one way.

Since your two choices are an Elegance or a SeaEra, I''m providing links to the promo sheets and manuals for both:
Raritan Marine_Elegance Promo.pdf Raritan Marine Elegance Owners Manual

Raritan SeaEra Promo Sheet Raritan SeaEra Conversion Promo Sheet

Raritan SeaEra owners manual

Although HopCar no longer owns Hopkins Carter Marine, he still has a relationship with them that can get you very good prices.

Is installing a toilet a fairly straight forward remove and replace, or is it more involved? I can R&R stuff but not very good if I have to customize or fabricate things.

You'd be smart to have a certified marine electrician run the wiring, but the plumbing is pretty straightforward...not much different from plumbing a manual toilet.

I also need to replace my hoses, and I think my Y valves are leaking a bit so I need to replace those as well I guess.

Raritan's SaniFlex hose RaritanSaniFlex hose is a bit pricy, but worth it if you only ever want to do this job once. t's been on the market for nearly 10 years without a single reported odor permeation failure (I haven't heard of a single one either, and I'm pretty sure I would have). It's also so flexible it can be bent like a hairpin without kinking.

How do I make this operation less gross??

It doesn't have to be gross at all IF you do the prep work before taking anything apart. And this is a good time of year to do it, 'cuz the weather is cool (less odor in cool weather). If you have my book you'll find an entire chapter that has step by step instructions..beginning with:

Measure the amount of new hose you’ll need and buy it (add at least one extra foot as a safety margin). Use sanitation hose throughout the entire system, including the toilet intake and tank vent.

Map out your entire plan and determine solutions to all problems and obstacles before you remove a single hose. Photos can be very useful in helping you map it out, and in finding out what you'll be up against in hard to see areas. In some cases, real time video can even be your eyes while doing the work.

If you discover that you have questions that need answers, or problems you aren’t sure how to solve, ask those questions before you start any work, because it’s always cheaper and easier to do it right the first time than it is to do it over! I'm always glad to answer 'em.

Put plastic garbage bags or disposable aluminum pans under hose connections to catch any spills. (Warming hoses with a blow dryer makes them easier to remove and replace). Have a couple of rolls paper shop towels (super heavy duty paper towels) handy...you'll need them.

Now you’re ready to start the real work......

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

I have a 1985 Taiwanese trawler with two heads. I bought the boat about 10 years ago. Before my time it had been converted from manual toilets to the Jabsco electric macerators. From the instance I bought the boat I fought these units for one reason or another. They had been hooked up to the fart fan circuits and would throw breakers. Moreover they made a lot of noise and seemed pitiful I'm every way. About 4 years ago I threw the toilets and plumbing off the boat. I went back with schedule 40 PVC where I could and flexible hose where needed. I ran new marine wiring from new breakers and installed two new Raritan Elegance toilets. One is fresh water flush and the other is fresh or salt. Long story short I couldn't be happier.

Few more details: I chose the electronic programmable control and it was a good choice. I have a 40 gallon holding tank that is perfect for 2 people for about a week aboard. I re-plumbed my tank vent to a larger size and added a charcoal filter. I can't say enough about a proper working tank vent. Next I got rid of the old Jabsco overboard macerator pump that was forever losing prime and eating rubber impellers and wyed a Gulper diaphragm pump into my deck hose with a three way valve. Last I put in a WEMA level gauge.

What's the old saying? When your plumbing ain't happy ain't nobody happy.

Nothing but happy aboard my boat since I went to Raritan Elegance and schedule 40 PVC and as few hoses as possible. :dance:

Last edited:
Can I pay you to come do all that to mine? [emoji23]

Peggy, thank you for all the great advice. I need to get off my butt.

Is there a trick to Hooking up a toilet for fresh water flush? Isn't there some chance for water tank contamination? Can I T into the lavatory water supply?

Back
Top Bottom