Old 01-31-2020, 05:37 AM   #1

City: Oriental
Vessel Name: Delphina
Vessel Model: President 43
Raritan Elegence toilet

At present I have the Raritan elegance head using fresh water from the water tanks. Model 220 HF , I have found out that I use a lot of fresh water and am thinking of if it can be done use sea water. I know I need a pump if it can be done, If so what extra parts would I need to use raw water and then be able to switch over to fresh water.. Thanks for your thoughts
KEVMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:08 AM   #2
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVMAR View Post
I have found out that I use a lot of fresh water...

Have you programmed the Raritan unit to use less water?

If so, are you flushing more than you need to?

-Chris
Old 01-31-2020, 07:20 AM   #3
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Kevmar what controller do you have?
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:20 AM   #4
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Raritan does support using the Elegance with a seawater pump. In general, try to make sure your waste lines self-drain as well as possible. The less it takes to get all of the waste out of the lines into the tank, the smaller a flush you can use (fresh or raw water). For fresh water the smaller flush saves water, for both it saves on holding tank capacity.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:37 AM   #5
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
After having a fresh water flush (Raritan) I would not want to go back to salt water unless absolutely necessary. My 2 cents
Old 01-31-2020, 09:45 AM   #6
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
I'd have to agree with Charlie. No salt water. You'll possibly end up with funky smells after a day or three.
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:57 AM   #7
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Another vote for the ME with fresh water only!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:27 AM   #8
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Another anti-raw water flush vote. Smelly! I have Raritan SeaEra fresh water flush toilets and I noticed in the owners manual that they can be set up to flush either fresh or raw water by toggling a switch if extra plumbing and hardware is installed. Whether your heads can be so modified you'd have to discuss with Raritan, which has about the best customer service you'll find anywhere. Ask for Greg Morales.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:45 AM   #9

City: Oriental
Vessel Name: Delphina
Vessel Model: President 43
I have a push button control to do the flushing. I just would like the option if im in the ocean to be able to use the raw water and to pump it overboard
KEVMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:25 AM   #10
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVMAR View Post
I have a push button control to do the flushing. I just would like the option if im in the ocean to be able to use the raw water and to pump it overboard

It can be done- just time, materials, and money!

http://raritaneng.com/wp-content/upl...15seafresh.pdf

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:26 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
You will need to add the pump for the sea water and the smart flush control. Call Raritan to get the part numbers. You will start to get the smell from dead organisms in the sea water intake hose unless you use the sea water option every day.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:32 PM   #12
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I have found that many liveaboards, myself included, and longer term cruisers don't really have an issue with saltwater smell unless the water they are pulling in is pretty odiferous.

This is the assumprion that the toilets are flushed every day or two.

When leaving the boat, the bowls are pumped dry and a tad of fresh water added.

Yes sometimes when returning to a closed up, hot boat there is a bit of odor, but the boat also smells from a lot of other sources too. Within hours, all back to normal.

Heck, just one morning with bacon and the odor lasts longer...I like the smell better, but at some point it needs to go...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:31 PM   #13
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Ever thought of adding additional freshwater tank? If you have room it might be easier and maybe about the same $$$ as upgrading the head.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:35 PM   #14
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Kevmar,
I am going to take a shot in the dark here. I am guessing that the main problems are how fast your holding tank fills and how much freshwater you use for flushing??
I too am in the camp of staying with freshwater flushes. Having had boats with both (salt and fresh), I can say that any stagnant saltwater will smell after sitting (in the line or bowl) for just a few days. You might already be doing this, but if it's yellow let it mellow and only flush when the bowl is getting somewhat full. Add a deodorant to the bowl after each "pee" to combat any urine smell. I use CP marine toilet cleaner mixed with water for this purpose (works well and good for the tank too). Also, any TP used for urination is put into a garbage can with a lid. Flush a 1/2 bowl of freshwater just before bedtime to "clean out the system". In this way, the holding tank lasts much longer as does the freshwater supply.
Just a thought.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:01 PM   #15
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
If you in the ocean >3 miles, just pump out the holding tank. Taking a ME to saltwater flush is going backwards to me. You are taking a $700 head and turning it into a $900 head to do the job of a $300 head.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:35 PM   #16
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
It should be pretty easy to set it up to flush either raw water or fresh water. Flush with raw water most of the time and switch to fresh every once in a while. Almost as good as constant fresh water flush, but not quite.

Call Mac at Raritan’s Fort Lauderdale office and tell him what you want to do. Say hi to him for me. I haven’t talked to him since I retired.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:15 PM   #17
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Once it is set up for both, you can use the salt water routinely, then switch to fresh for a couple of flushes before you leave the boat. As long as you are using it several times a day, the salt water won't stink. As long as it's flushed through with fresh before you leave it, it won't stink either (well, no more than usual).
DDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:52 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: boston
Vessel Name: Altair
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy
I recently purchased the Raritan Elegance system with the optional controller. My motivation for wanting to go with fresh water was not the smell but rather the salt build up in the hoses. Every couple of years I end up pulling all the hoses and literally banging the salt out of them. Not a nice job and never at a convenient time. I to am concerned with water usage when off dock so I set up a switch over using the raw water wash down pump to supply water when I am off dock. The optional controller is actually set up too work ether way (fresh/salt) having a connection to turn the raw water pump on. My raw water pump has a pressure switch so I simply turn it on and let the pressure switch do the rest.

I am in the process of refinishing the entire head the flush is only part of the project so I have not proved out any of this as yet but spring is coming.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:47 AM   #19

City: Nahant, MA
Vessel Name: Easy Wind
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler 40
Has anyone replaced a PHII with the ME? What is the difference in footprint? Looking to swap ours out.
ex-sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:30 AM   #20
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-sailor View Post
Has anyone replaced a PHII with the ME? What is the difference in footprint? Looking to swap ours out.

Not quite the same, but I swapped a PHEII with a Sea Era (basically the cheaper version of the Marine Elegance) last year. Footprint is similar, but for my install I ended up with the base unit rotated 90* from how the PHEII orients (so the Sea Era base runs front to back). I used the conversion kit, so the PHEII bowl and seat get re-used. I'll probably buy the full kit when I do the other one though, as the new bowl / seat assembly is soft close, my 1980s versions are not.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote