Putting a hinge in a radar arch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ploschiavo

Vessel Name
Pelican
Vessel Make
2018 Helmsman 38E
We are in the process of buying a Beneteau ST-35. It has a fixed radar arch.
Has anyone modified an arch to put in a hinge? We would like to be able to fit under the fixed bridge in Chicago while doing the Loop.

First, a question, if I may, about your screen name, "ploschiavo". It is so very similar to the name of a small town in Switzerland near the Italian border, Poschiavo. Does your screen name have anything to do with that town?

As to hinging your arch, I wanted to do the same, for the same reason, when we purchased our DeFever 44. The arch on a DF44 is bolted to the inside of kneewalls. The yard doing our refit did not see fashioning a hinge as being nothing but more boat bucks. I had seen arches on other DF 44s with hinges. Unfortunately for us, when the yard unbolted the arch it was found to have been completely waterlogged (bad bedding of radar and antennae allowed water intrusion). It took four strong men to wrestle that arch off the boat. The point is, I believe it can be done, at least to some boats.

In our case, we chose not to have the now useless arch replaced with a custom-made fiberglass duplicate. The yard wanted way to much. Instead, we had Atlantic Towers of Bayville, NJ to make an arch from aluminum piping to the exact dimensions of the original arch ($2,200 in 2015). It must be lowered by two persons, one to pull the pins and the other to lower the arch which, by the way, is easily handled by one person.

As it turned out we did not end up going thru Chicago. We used the Cal-Sag Channel instead. However, we did lower the arch to negotiate the Champlain Canal. We chose that route to do the Loop instead of the Erie Canal/Oswego Canals route. But, in our case, we had to lower our bimini also which was kind of a pain, a bit more so than simply lowering the arch. Still, we were very happy with our choice to take the Champlain route. We don't know anything about your boat but the presence of a bimini may also be a consideration for you. Our air draft with the arch lowered and the bimini in place is 17 feet.

The arch material of construction has a big impact on feasibility of modification. Of course, anything can be done if you just throw money at it.
It most likely has a bunch of wiring running through it that needs dealing with. That in itself is a major factor. When the hinge is built in before the wiring happens you make allowances. Now you have to see if you can pull up some extra length.
I’ve see arches hinged from the base, as well as hinged in the middle.
So, there’s usually a way to do it, just some are easier than others.

The arch material of construction has a big impact on feasibility of modification. Of course, anything can be done if you just throw money at it.
It most likely has a bunch of wiring running through it that needs dealing with. That in itself is a major factor. When the hinge is built in before the wiring happens you make allowances. Now you have to see if you can pull up some extra length.
I’ve see arches hinged from the base, as well as hinged in the middle.
So, there’s usually a way to do it, just some are easier than others.

Agree......creativity and money can solve the desire.

Also that variations are possible too.

We put an aluminum tube arch on a previous boat from Atlantic Towers. It was a very nice product and a friend an I installed it in a day. They are made to hinge but we never laid it down once it was installed.

ST-35’s that I have seen have stainless tube arches. Very easy to put in a hinge. As mentioned, all wiring will need to be removed to add the hinge. Then the appropriate additional length will need to be added when the wiring is put back.

You can save a lot of money by handling the wiring your self. If you are not interested in a DIY project any yard can handle this type of job.

Look at Atlantic Towers web site. They make an arch that ships in a box and is adjustable to fit different sizes. And as said above they will hinge down. If it will fit your boat it may be way cheaper to just put one of those on than trying to redo your current arch.

Back
Top Bottom