pulsating water pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodsong

Guru
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
So I replaced our water pump right after we bought the boat a couple months back. *Old one worked for about a week and then it died. *New one is working well but I have noticed it seems to pulsate. *If you turn on any of the sinks, water flows good overall but it will pulsate as the pump kicks on for a moment, then off, then on, off, etc. so that pressure is variable. *Anyone else have this issue and what caused it? *All previous boats would run consistent pressure when sink or shower was turned on for a prolonged time (i.e. washing dishes or taking a shower) vs. pulsating pump turning on and off and creating pulsating water pressure. *

Some newer pumps have plumbing that reduces the pulsing a lot but one could put a little tank in the line that would be half full of air and that should make it as smooth as at home. Some body may make such a "surge tank". Put the question to TF*** ....you'll get ideas flack and everything. I bought the $250 deluxe pump and had smooth water but the pump died after 4 mo so I bought the cheap $120 pump (just a bit more pulse that the $250 but has worked great for much more than 4 mos. Do you have the old one w the toothed belt? They ARE pulsy. The old ones could be rebuilt forever but I got the newer kind. I think I'll make a washdown for the anchor w the old pump.
Your boat looks wonderful in your new avitar.

Eric,
The water pump is not more than 60 days old and I bought it brand new from west marine (old one died on a saturday night and wife wanted a shower Sunday a.m. so had to get it done quick). It's your typical modern pump...plumbed exactly as the old one was. Only difference is that this one is brand new and old one was rated for 3.8 and this new one is a 4.0 gallons. It shouldn't be pulsing so much and while it works fine, it is starting to irritate me! :)

Thanks for the kind words re: my new avatar. I took that pic yesterday as we were anchored out on the TN River and playing around in the kayak. I still need to get the boom installed but at least I finally got the mast up! :)

P.S. just crawled down into the bilge to confirm the make of the pump and noticed a slight wetness under it...feeling around the underside of the pump housing is wet. *Maybe the pump is defective and I need to get a replacement. *I checked it multiple times after I installed it to make sure there were no leaks and this is the first time I've seen any water there. *Hmmmm....

-- Edited by Woodsong on Saturday 13th of November 2010 09:39:44 PM

Most likely if you install a small 2 lt accumulator tank in the system (tank with small pressure bladder inside) you will get constant pressure.
Available at your local chandler.

Benn

The crappy small Jabsco accumulators need to be drained every so often.

The bigger house units can loose their pre charge , get a tire pressure checker , turn off the water system , open a faucet till there is no flow.

Then measure the pressure at the schrader valve on the top of the accumulator .

IT SHOULD BE AT THE LOW PRESSURE CUT IN ,

if not a bike tire pump will restore the pressure.

you can get a small expansion tank at home depot... about $ 60 if* I remember... it will take out all the pulse of the pump. We had one until I replaced the pump wwith a new VSR pump. The pump didn't like the pressure tank for some reason... so I pulled the tank and the pump was happy and the Admiral was happy as the shower doesn't pulse.
HOLLYWOOD

Woodsong,
The schematic Keith supplied is a great one, and the HD tank looks just fine. It should cure your pulsation issues.* The h.depot one works great, or you can get one from west marine that is 75% smaller for twice as much !
HOLLYWOOD

Keith,
thanks SO much for that link- exactly what I needed! I pulled the pump off the boat yesterday as it is definitely defective and leaking around the housing body- getting a replacement today and may pick up the expansion tank at HD and install it all at once. The weird thing is that the pump that was on the boat when I bought it did not pulsate and my 2005 sedan I sold this winter did not pulsate and neither one had an expansion tank.

A lot of the newer pumps don't require an Expansion tank.

SD

If you didn't have pulsing before and you've replaced the old pump with the same kind of pump, the chances are the pulsing was from the leak in the pump that you have discovered. If the new replacement pump doesn't leak and you still get pulsing then I suppose the new pump could be enough different than the old one in terms of its innards that you now need an expansion tank. Or you can go with the kind of pump SD mentions that is variable speed and delivers the amount of water necessary with no pulsing and no expansion tank. They're not the cheapest things in the world, however.

You should also be aware that many of the new pumps not only don't need expansion tanks but if you add one the warranty is voided. Chuck

-- Edited by Capn Chuck on Monday 15th of November 2010 03:28:35 PM

Woodsong,

Maybe I missed it but what was the original pump?
What is the pump you are using now?

-- Edited by C lectric on Sunday 21st of November 2010 07:49:53 PM

Some times*I hate these discussion.* I mean everything was fine, until I read this discussion and notice that our water pulsates a bit?* )-;* **The accumulator is 15+ years old so it probable needs replacing.* Oh will what is another couple boat unit in the bigger scheme of boating?* If I did not have a boat I would probable spend it on cloths or electronic toys of something?* Oh wait I already do that!

I thought the accumulator was so there was no sudden pressure on the lines.* In a domestic house the lines are capped several feet above the faucet so the air takes the pressuer and the*pipes dont bang/rattle.* West marine sells a 10 buck plastic one that connects to the pump.* So I can sill buy a new Holiday out fit!* (-;***

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Monday 22nd of November 2010 10:56:17 AM

Phil Fill wrote:I thought the accumulator was so there was no sudden pressure on the lines.
In a boat's FW system, the prime reason for having an accumulator is "to aid the FW
pump at peak demand."
The same reasoning holds true for having an accumulator in a hydraulic system. (Even with a constant speed-variable displacement pump, accumulators are still needed.)

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Monday 22nd of November 2010 05:03:51 PM

The leak is probably the culprit. Pumps work by creating a partial vacuum at the inlet, then atmospheric pressure pushes the water in to the inlet to equalize the pressure. the leak is happening when the pump is shut off. when you turn it on the water no longer leaks out, but air leaks in because of the vacuum.

Although its also possible that your accumulator failed at the same time as your pump; but the odds are against it.

Good luck
John

In a boat's FW system, the prime reason for having an accumulator is "to aid the FW
pump at peak demand."

I disagree many pumps will self destruct if not fitted with an accumulator.

Living aboard in the old days for 22+ years the worst nightmare was the PAR pumps with tiny toothed belts.

The mass was so high that when shut off by the pressure switch the pump would continue to run , against uncompresable water.

SNAP, the eccentric would eventually go.

Second hassle was PAR used their own pressure sensor that had its own weird thread .

This was cured bu silver soldering a copper lead with a plumbing store end , and installing a Squared D pump switch.

With no accumulator the pump life was very short.

The happiest day of the liveabord (and RV ) community was the day Sureflo started to sell pumps 11

FF wrote:SeaHorse Wrote:

In a boat's FW system, the prime reason for having an accumulator is "to aid the FW pump at peak demand."

FF Wrote:
I disagree, many pumps will self destruct if not fitted with an accumulator.
FF:
You just validated my statement. (Actually, it wasn't my statement but rather it was the Vickers people many years ago.) I was in the hydraulic business and used a lot of their pumps, etc.

Well in all the modern boats I've owned I've never had an accumulator tank whatsoever. I put the new water pump on earlier this weekend and darned if it is not still slightly pulsating....not as much as the previous one I installed, but still pulsing. It's a Jabsco "Par Max 4"- 4.3 GPM. Model 31620-0092.
I guess I need to install an accumulator tank but I sure would like to figure out why it is pulsing when no other modern pump I've had in past boats did this!

Woodsong wrote:

Well in all the modern boats I've owned I've never had an accumulator tank whatsoever. I put the new water pump on earlier this weekend and darned if it is not still slightly pulsating....not as much as the previous one I installed, but still pulsing. It's a Jabsco "Par Max 4"- 4.3 GPM. Model 31620-0092.
I guess I need to install an accumulator tank but I sure would like to figure out why it is pulsing when no other modern pump I've had in past boats did this!

*What other modern pumps have you had that didn't pulse without an accumulator tank?

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
Tenacatita, Jalisco, MX

Larry,
I honestly don't know the brand of pumps....we had a 2003 Cruisers 3372 express and a 2005 Silverton 38 Sport Bridge that we have owned over the last few years- neither had an accumulator tank or if they did, it was so terribly well hidden that it was never found by me. I particularly knew all the systems on the silverton very well and there was definitely no accumulator tank on that boat...pretty sure the Cruisers 3372 didn't but I guess it "could" have had one hidden somewhere or another.

-- Edited by Woodsong on Monday 29th of November 2010 02:26:05 PM

One fix would be to install an accumulator in the system.*
You didn't mention brand.* I know the late jabscos have an adjustment that will lower the kick off point on the pump.*
The on time raises the pressure and when it sees x it shuts off is what is happening.* ERGO with all the faucets off it hits x real quick and shuts down.

Yes you did mention brand.* Pop off that center blue cover and if I recall turn the screw to the left slowly until the pump stops pulsating.* Do recall your original screw position.*
Got to thinking that a partially clogged aerator on a faucet could also cause pump pulsation.

Back
Top Bottom