Pros & Cons of A/C Systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reverse cycle also suffer a bit due to the reverse valve needed to reverse the cycle. My father said it was better to have resistance heat and a standard A/C unit and he was quite picky about his options.

A lot has changed on reverse cycle units in the last 10 years. Rotary compressors make the units much more efficient. My Webasto is great in the air conditioning mode. In the heat mode, it produces tons of heat down to about 37 degree salt water temperatures. Below that, it gets more challenging to keep the heat exchanger from forming ice. In heat mode, my 12,000 BTU unit can produce 13,000 BTUs of heat. For the same electricity, a resistance heater produces maybe 6,000 BTUs of heat. Unless you plan to live on the boat where water temps spend significant time below 38 degrees, reverse cycle is a far better choice.

Ted

"Unless you plan to live on the boat where water temps spend significant time below 38 degrees, reverse cycle is a far better choice."

The air mounted units can operate with a COP of 3 down to about zero F ,.

The mini split system senses ice on the unit and reverses the system for a minuet or two.

This melts off the ice , tho it does air cond the room for that min.or two.

Only complaints seem to be some noise when the unit switches back to heating , it runs on high to make up for the shot of cooling.

We have 3 separate self contained units, one water intake pump and seacock strainer and two discharges hoses, two piped together and one alone .Works great.

Check out new Dometic units great performance small footprint

On A/C units that use external water (through hulls) is the external water actually used for conditioning the air, or is it just used as a coolant for the compressor?

Just curious. My boat A/C is a window unit from WalMart (i.e. self contained). The only thing it needs is electric power.

On A/C units that use external water (through hulls) is the external water actually used for conditioning the air, or is it just used as a coolant for the compressor?

Just curious. My boat A/C is a window unit from WalMart (i.e. self contained). The only thing it needs is electric power.
The raw water drawn into the unit, either heats or cools the condenser heat exchanger, depending on what mode it's in. Just as with geothermal heat pumps, the units are more efficient when dumping heat or cold into a more temperate medium. Water cooled units also give you the ability to mount them below sea level. :rolleyes:

Ted

Pros & Cons of A/C Systems

Just replaced one of my three self contained A/C units with a Dometic with the comp drip pan. Drains are recessed so it doesn’t have the typical 1/4” standing water. Very quiet. Love the new unit.

Back
Top Bottom