Propane Tubing size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hornloaded

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
New Adventure
Vessel Make
McKinna 48PH
I'm converting my boat from electric cook top to Propane. I have been trying to find information on sizing the cooper tubing. Everything I find is for homes and large pipe (1/2" and larger). I know 3/8" will work, but was hoping I could go to 1/4" to make the installation a lot easier. The Oven is rated at 6100 BTU.
Any one know of a chart or formula that I can use?

Horn,

Here's something to start with.

Propane Gas Piping - Low Pressure Capacity vs. Size

Let's assume 50 foot equivalent of 1/4" tubing to allow for fittings/bends.

Your 6100 BTUs is equivalent to just over 6 MBH

From the tubing graph I see approx 15 to 16 MBH possible for 50' of 1/4" tubing, so that points to a good safety factor on flow. If I've messed this up you'll hear about it here from fellow TF'rs.

The other thing you could do is fire up the stove on the bench with the coil of tubing you are going to use, see if you are happy with the results before pulling tube through the boat.

I like snickerdoodle cookies, get that oven going!

Thanks a lot for this! This helps a lot. I'll never understand why so many trawlers don't come with ovens. I am always cooking with my oven.

You're welcome!

Ovens can use a lot of fuel, and almost nobody bakes anymore on boats with microwave ovens (me included).

My boat has a diesel stove/oven that will run 'ya out of the cabin when its snowing outside. Part of the boats BC heritage.

We bake with a Breviile 1/4 sheet table top oven. Pizza, roasts, cookies, bread all come out just as in a full-size dirt house oven. One must have the counterspace. Image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom