Propane: Mystery leak, hot solenoid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aenlic

Veteran Member
My sniiffer system goes bonkers on a routine basis, and there's a distinct propane 'aroma' in the vicinity of the propane locker... but I have not been able to locate any leaks. It's not the tank, as when I leave it shut off the odor dissipates and the alarm is silent.

When spraying my leak detector fluid this afternoon (again fruitlessly) I noticed that the solenoid is HOT; not hot enough to burn, but more than what I would call 'warm.'

Any ideas welcome... and I'll continue my testing.

Thanks-

aenlic

Check the hose connection fitting, there is a “0” ring type seal. Mine where leaking, new connecters solved my leak. According to the propane company the “0” ring seal cannot be changed. I ordered a new hose and screw on connecter shown in the photo.

Attachments

• 0754D621-1878-49F0-B7DE-CDD4A6EE73E3.jpg
    0754D621-1878-49F0-B7DE-CDD4A6EE73E3.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 66
Should be easy to disconnect the solenoid to connect regulator and hose to tank. Open the tank and check for leak with soapy water if there is any leak you will see it in second, if there is none your solenoid may be faulty.
In that case reconnect it and redo the same test on its connections.
The fact that the solenoid gets hot may be “normal” as current is flowing through it while it is opened but should not be red hot.

L

The very warm solenoid is normal operating condition. You can touch it but it's not comfortable, turns out an operating solenoid sucks up some serious amps so that's another reason you shouldn't leave it on when not using your propane device.

I know you have eliminated the tank. I had a similar problem and thought I had eliminated the tank b/c I had just gotten it (Blue Rhino). After checking everything else iremoved the tank and put it in a barrel of water. Sure enough a leak so small it didn't show up when I soaped up the tank. They seem to blastclean and paint them each time they are recycled but no pressure test I guess until the date comes up.
My solenoid gets "quite hot" as well.
Did you check the vent hole in the pressure regulator?

Thanks all for the input. I was wondering about the O-ring on the connector, and asked my refill garage about it when I just had it filled today.

Using enough amps to make the solenoid hot really does justify turning the gas off for good measure when not in use.

Thanks-

aenlic

"Using enough amps to make the solenoid hot really does justify turning the gas off for good measure when not in use."

When outfitting a boat we would install a mechanical winding 2 hour timer., as we'l, as a RED operating light near the range

2 hours takes care of most cooking , and makes up for folks forgetting, to secure the gas.

Today a LED reminder light is cheap to power.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom