Propane/LPG accessibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:iagree:Carbide cannon.
I haven't seen one of those since I was a kid.
'Cool as heck. Big fun.:pirate:

Sd

Speaking of cannons, you guys should see Giggitoni's 100 year old cannon! He fired it in his backyard for markpierce and me a few weeks ago.

Ray, have you got a video of that monster going off?

small genset is quite sufficient. LPG can easily be surpassed for overall convenience.

For you perhaps,

But your neighbors in an anchorage may not find the noise and stink convenient.

Electric verses gas for cooking / heat on board. The reality is that most pleasure cruiser fires are electric start and can be fed by gas / propane or any fuel including cooking grease.

To suggest that one is safer than another is unsound. But to suggest one instalation is better than another makes ya look , take notes.

From co poisoning to soleniods being charged from melting wires etc. there are many risks in pleasure cruising.

Some surveyors and insurance companies discount lots of items from experience, and some from lack of actual knowledge.

Like most here I have on board several electrical systems. Systems like AC, DC, gen, batteries, alts etc. All have the chance to fail in a bad way.

Most also have fuels from deisel to gas to propane even oils and cleaners on board. All have the chance to open doors to failures in a bad way.

You can pick your poison but usualy we stock up on most , if not all the above.

I like propane for cooking , I like land based AC and or , deisel fired pot furnce for heat. I like gas for the tender , portable gen and chain saw. Little propane bottles for the BBQ and laterns at the beach. I have oil and cleaners that are flamable. Sound familiar ?

The previous posters have comprehensively covered the US and Caribbean. But the original poster said (did he mean?) Globally.

I can speak to Europe (Mediterranean) and Asia. Propane is generally NOT available, however butane is. The containers are lighter construction and due to the different characteristics of propane you will have to change to a different regulator and fittings - however in my experience my Magma BBQ and my Force 10 Range worked well on butano. The culture of refilling is different with the use of cheap steel tanks very prevalant and no refilling, you exchange your blue painted butane tank for another. In Turkey we received a number of dubious rusted/repainted tanks and were glad that our locker was tucked into the stern on deck of our Sailboat. All worked well and when we returned to the US we just replaced the outboard regulator and fitting with the original fittings and plugged in our original propane tanks.

Incorrect propane installation

It seems like more than 70% are installed incorrectly. Although I like propane to cook we are thinking of switching to electric for the galley. It's not just the money for the locker but to run a continuous new line in a 27 year old boat will take a lot of work as I think the lines of these Taiwanese boats were laid out during the build.
Does anyone have and cons to the electric, such as tremendous draw. I'm not going to be baking cakes or a turkey. I have always got by for 20+ years on a single burner butane on my smaller boat with gourmet meals (food always tastes great on a boat)
Also is we stay with the propane it can power the fridge.

Thanks Chris :banghead:

I have a 3 burner seaward princess electric stove with oven & I think it works great. When I'am anchored out running the gen a couple times a day to cook breakfast & dinner will keep the batteries up. I haven't got a small butane single burner but have thought about it for that early am coffee & no gen noise. I do have a toaster oven that gets a workout I've found it's easier to use it than the built in & it does as good or better job with less heat added to the boat in summer weather. Besides its good to exercise the gen to keep it in operating condition. Good luck

It seems like more than 70% are installed incorrectly. Although I like propane to cook we are thinking of switching to electric for the galley. It's not just the money for the locker but to run a continuous new line in a 27 year old boat will take a lot of work as I think the lines of these Taiwanese boats were laid out during the build.
Does anyone have and cons to the electric, such as tremendous draw. I'm not going to be baking cakes or a turkey. I have always got by for 20+ years on a single burner butane on my smaller boat with gourmet meals (food always tastes great on a boat)
Also is we stay with the propane it can power the fridge.

Thanks Chris :banghead:
Really depends on how you boat and what electrical systems besides a stove you use.
I have twin 30 amp that I’m upgrading to a 50 amp and I will still switch to propane no matter how difficult it is.
I don’t like having to shut off the hot water heater and other big draw systems every time I want to cook. Guess it depends on what inconvenience you can live with or not.

Hi
Can I ask were you have your propane tank. Having such problems with trying to install the proper way
Chris

Hi
Can I ask were you have your propane tank. Having such problems with trying to install the proper way
Chris
If you are asking me...I will probably store them either in my flybridge fairing or a standard exterior container like you see on RV Trailers that will be plumbed IAW ABYC safety suggestions. Plus a sniffer in the bilge.

The tanks are under the helm station on the fly bridge. Same compartment as electronics and chase tubes to steering.

Hi
Can I ask were you have your propane tank. Having such problems with trying to install the proper way/QUOTE]

The fly ridge is very practical because you can route the hose down through a locker.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

That was my first thought but it must has the gasket on the TOP. Even it I make a slide out, not enough room vertical or horizontal. Maybe a smaller tank than the 20# would work, but don't think it would last long. It is also 3 levels up from the galley, a lot of up and down. UGH

Oh the propane pain

OK another solution would be to mount a horizontal propane tank on the port side (same as galley) and make the port helm storage seat with a top gasket and overboard vent. Don't want to be a statistic or in a burn ward.
Thanks to all of you for you knowledge and patience

FWIW as an example about how one builder did/does it, Grand Banks located the propane locker on most of their models in the seat base for the port fore-and-aft-facing seats on the flying bridge. With the exception of the propane line itself there is no equipment in this space that requires access through the main cabin overhead. So the compartment is totally isolated from the interior of the boat. A simple vent from this space out the side of the flying bridge is all that's needed.

We replaced the single BBQ-size propane tank that came with the boat with a pair of Worthington aluminum horizontal tanks. While these tanks are not large one can get us through most of a year. But having a second tank means that when the first tank inevitably runs out of propane halfway through cooking a meal, it's a simple matter to switch over to the other tank and get the empty one filled after we get home.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom