Propane issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Get an expert? Why? A new horizontal tank with a level gauge is only $125 at Lowe's (see link in an earlier post). Way cheaper than paying a guy ($150/hour?) to come in and maybe suggest a new tank. I would do that first. Besides, how old is the tank in question? It may be close to its legal expiration date anyway. Start there and move on to the regulator, then the solenoid switch. My goodness, a new regulator is about $40 while a new solenoid is about $35. Replace the entire setup and be done with it, 200 hundred bucks.
I "got an "expert" in" to check and certify the LPG system on my previous boat. He knowingly connected incompatible threads using tape and gunk to achieve a seal, as discovered when it began leaking.
Insurers may require the system to be certified but not all "experts", even licensed, are experts.

Propane

Going back to the beginning. Make sure the breaker switch on the electrical panel for gas stove is on. Then, when you turn LPG control panel on you should hear a click as the solenoid is activated. If no click you have an electrical problem or solenoid issue.

On the Grand Banks propane thread, Steve D’Antonio has a link to a pretty thorough article about propane systems that would be worth a read.

The gauge is used for checking leaks. Shut off the tank valve and it should maintain pressure. If it drops, there is a leak. Have someone press the solenoid valve switch in the galley. You should hear it click open and close. When open, it will normally get warm. I don’t know if regulators fail by closing but, I’ve had one leak.
LPG is petroleum gas. Over time ( a lot of it) you can get an asphaltine buildup on the rubber diaphragm in the regulator. I have experienced this twice. I was able to disassemble the regulator and clean the diaphragm in each case. I have also seen the diaphragm leak out the regulator vent, but that didn't interrupt the flow.

Back
Top Bottom