Old 08-21-2021, 07:48 PM   #21

City: Berkeley, CA
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Kha Shing Sundeck 40
On my tank there are rivets in a blob of solder It looks just like this one.

A bygone era for sure. Things were probably simpler then but at the expense of anyone who wasn't a white guy lol I probably would have been ignorant but happy...
Andiamo2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:40 AM   #22
Guru

City: Deltaville
From Tony Fleming...

"The tank would have been stainless steel. We never used Monel. The tank construction was the old traditional style with double turned
edges where the sides met the top and bottom. That joint was sealed with solder which was only on the outside of the tank. The photo you sent shows the tank being pressure tested. In the photo you can see the rivets holding the baffles. They too were sealed with solder externally. We built quite a number of strip planked Caulkins 50’s."
Old 08-22-2021, 12:06 PM   #23
Guru

City: Deltaville
More from Tony...

"I'm not sure whether your correspondent spotted his possible Caulkins in the video. He would need to have sharp eyes to spot it as it was really small in a vertical picture at around 06-10 in the video. After receiving your mail I went back and took a look through the video and was able to spot it.

Attached is a blow up of a small part of the frame and it is a Caulkins which is a double ender. The other boat being planked earlier in the video is being double planked - not strip planked."
Attached Thumbnails
Caulkins.jpg  
Old 08-22-2021, 01:22 PM   #24

City: Berkeley, CA
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Kha Shing Sundeck 40
That was exactly what I saw!

I have a Calkins 40 and it has a clipper bow. Somewhere I have a magazine article from 1963 that has a picture. The caption says that only the first two hulls had clipper bows as pictured and the others had a spoon bow.

I can't find that article right now.

Here is a picture of her sailing:

http://www.captdan.net/uploads/2/1/1...63058_orig.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DAntonio View Post
More from Tony...

"I'm not sure whether your correspondent spotted his possible Caulkins in the video. He would need to have sharp eyes to spot it as it was really small in a vertical picture at around 06-10 in the video. After receiving your mail I went back and took a look through the video and was able to spot it.

Attached is a blow up of a small part of the frame and it is a Caulkins which is a double ender. The other boat being planked earlier in the video is being double planked - not strip planked."
Andiamo2018 is offline   Reply With Quote