Poll: Fuel Tank Material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which material is best for replacement fuel tanks? (Material cost in parentheses)

• Total voters
If you can live with less tankage and want more room, or can swing different configurations....

I put in 2 -58 gallon plastic tanks and coukdnt be happier. Made a lot more storage room in the ER.

I still get 300NM between fillups if I want. I am never suprised at fuel level and burn rate, I burn through tanks fast enough my fuel remains pristine, I can fill right to tge top at refueling because I can see the fuel level so actually more than 100 percent capacity is pissible without rfear of venting fuel, and they are light enough when empty to pull out and inspect or alter if necessary.

Cost for 2 plus shipping was about $650.... 5 years and 4, 1200 to 1500 mile round trips to Fl ago.

My vote was for poly. But they only come so big due to limitations in the molding process. If poly works on your boat, go that way.

I dread the day I have to cut out my aft deck to replace my Al tanks. But they were too big to go poly.

Smaller polly tanks allow un needed fuel capacity tanks to be left empty.

This is great for winter storage as the added weight needs not be aboard when hauled.

And ashphalting problems , bug growth and fuel/water hassles cant exist.

Even if fuel goes up a buck a gallon , clean hassle free fuel tanks are probably worth it.

You can have them custom made to almost whatever shape you want.

Agreed. Tank Mart in Texas built me 2 fresh water tanks to custom spec and shipped to Ca cheaper than anyone near me could do it. I am usually all about keeping the local economy chugging but the attention to detail ( and price ) this technician gave me and he helped with some decisions was fabulous.

Back
Top Bottom