Plumbing on a 1988 Krogen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Britannia

Wannabe
Vessel Name
Stillwater
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
I need to source some spare parts for the freshwater plumbing on my 1988 Krogen 54. Does anyone recognize these fittings?

Thanks

Richard

10115-albums347-picture3581.jpg

I don't know for sure, but it looks like it might be a version of the old Quest plumbing. It's similar to what I have on this boat which is a Quest.
When you back off the collar is there a rubber type acorn seal with a thin metal clip behind it that locks into the pipework?

2nd that it looks like gray polybutylene that was traded as "Qest" piping system (no "u")
It was recalled because the fittings disintegrated in the presence of chlorinated water- **BUT ** the fittings pictured don't appear to be the OEM Qest fittings-- AND the tubing generally wasn't the problem, just the fittings. Zurn makes fittings that will fit the gray polybutylene tubing, google Qest fittings.
Steve

I don't know for sure, but it looks like it might be a version of the old Quest plumbing. It's similar to what I have on this boat which is a Quest.
When you back off the collar is there a rubber type acorn seal with a thin metal clip behind it that locks into the pipework?

2nd that it looks like gray polybutylene that was traded as "Qest" piping system (no "u")
It was recalled because the fittings disintegrated in the presence of chlorinated water- **BUT ** the fittings pictured don't appear to be the OEM Qest fittings-- AND the tubing generally wasn't the problem, just the fittings. Zurn makes fittings that will fit the gray polybutylene tubing, google Qest fittings.
Steve

Thank you - I'll do some research based on your suggestions. I will see if I can find a spare fitting - not sure if I have one to inspect. I don't want to disconnect what I have until I know I have new parts that I can use. It looks like I might just be able to use new fittings on the polybutylene pipes.

Thanks

Richard

Our local (Ft Lauderdale) marine hardware store keeps a lot of fittings in stock.

You don't need to use Qest fittings. Any of the fittings designed for PEX tube will work.
I like the Sea Tech fittings as they are much easier to install than Qest fittings.

My old company carries a good selection.
Sea Tech Quick Connect Fittings

Parks. You have to love "my old company carries a good selection". LOL. Something tells me your old customers won't feel the same. [emoji20]. I hope I'm wrong.

Thank you again to all the suggestions and comments. From what I see online I really want to begin the process of replacing the polybutylene with PEX. There are fittings that convert from one to the other. My situation is a leaking T-connector - I also have a couple more that drip. I will probably replace a whole section of piping and connectors with PEX. Over time I will upgrade all the plumbing.

Best

Richard

Just a suggestion but I would be inclined to replace all plumbing and electrical in a 30 year old boat if I was cruising and not going inland or dock to dock. I don't enjoy problems 200 miles from my home port. YMMV

Thanks to everyone's help I have fixed a leak that I had by replacing a section of my polybutylene plumbing with Pex. Sharkbite makes push fit straight connectors that will connect polybutylene to Pex. Over time I will replace all the plumbing. With this system I can do it a bit at a time - which is good since I live aboard and don't want to try and do it all at once.

So far so good.

Thanks

Richard

I love happy endings. :)

Thanks to everyone's help I have fixed a leak that I had by replacing a section of my polybutylene plumbing with Pex. Sharkbite makes push fit straight connectors that will connect polybutylene to Pex. Over time I will replace all the plumbing. With this system I can do it a bit at a time - which is good since I live aboard and don't want to try and do it all at once.

So far so good.

Thanks

Richard

I also recognize the fittings as Qest. That's what's on my boat and they work just fine. My local Ace Hardware carries them. Amazon.com has them as well.

The Sharkbite fittings I am familiar with work fine but they are metal, heavy and expensive.

Any of these fittings will connect polybutelene to pex. Or to copper for that matter.

If you really have polybutelene and it's not causing problems, there's no good reason to replace it. When I bought my home in 2005, it had polybutelene water piping and I negotiated a $2500 discount towards replacing it. It's 2017 and I haven't had a problem yet and my city water pressure has been measured as high as 100 PSI.

Back
Top Bottom