Permatex No. 1: Temp fix of gasket on outboard fuel tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
So I have a couple of mls of water in my Quicksilver outboard fuel tank and I suspect the gauge/fuel line connection as the culprit. The gasket is perished. I'm in Shearwater and the replacement part is not available. The "Shop guy" suggested I use Permatex No. 1 "Seals rigid materials and flanges" and "resists gasoline and other shop fluids"

Should I remove the gasket entirely, or just clean everything up and use Permatex both sides of the gasket?

Jim

I would removed the gasket, clean everything and use permatex as it will act as a gasket when dry. Well if I am not mistaken the permatex product you will use as they have plenty.

L.

Opinions, opinions.

Me, if the gasket is still in one piece and otherwise in decent shape, just shrunk to the point it no longer seals, I would coat both sides of it with the Permatex and use it.

It will still help to fill the gaps and hold the Permatex in place.

JMO

If it was me, I would make a new gasket. Gasket material is readily available (auto parts stores and even some hardware stores around here) in different types and thicknesses and it's easy to trace and cut out a gasket with a very sharp blade. I have a couple different small rolls of gasket material in my boat spares.

Ken

If it was me, I would make a new gasket. Gasket material is readily available (auto parts stores and even some hardware stores around here) in different types and thicknesses and it's easy to trace and cut out a gasket with a very sharp blade. I have a couple different small rolls of gasket material in my boat spares.

Ken

Yup- winner!

Ken

:thumb:

Ken

I had thought about that too, but if they had it they would have offered it I think. I would approach the shop, but when I approached the mechanic earlier about stiff steering on the skiff, he seemed almost despondent about how busy they were. He was so "down" that I was going to suggest he seek counselling! Shearwater! It's a one shop town and the only marine service centre between Port Hardy and Prince Rupert--and that's a lot of coastline!

Jim

I use to do racing engines. Some didn't have standard gaskets available and had to be hand made. In a hurry at the track, I used a bead of blue silicone that did fine if the surfaces were clean.

I agree that the best is make a gasket but Jim said he was in Shearwater which is a long boat trip between the nearest towns and Shearwater is THE place for repairs and supplies. They will get stuff but in the meantime If they don't have it you are stuck waiting for parts or do without.

Jim, there must be other folk about and many will carry some gasket material aboard. I do and have given material to others when needed. Try asking about if you haven't already and I'll guess some one will give you some.

Last edited:
I never worked as a mechanic but spent 35 years behind a parts counter. Permatex number 1 will get hard and will be very hard to remove in the future. I would recomend Permatex number 2, which is non-hardening and is also gas and oil resistant.

I never worked as a mechanic but spent 35 years behind a parts counter. Permatex number 1 will get hard and will be very hard to remove in the future. I would recomend Permatex number 2, which is non-hardening and is also gas and oil resistant.

+1:thumb:

JD

Rector Seal #5 and as previously mentioned Permatex 2 and some blue silicones. I have used paper sacks to make gaskets. If Loren is around he can steer you straight, he is their tug and barge guy and a wizard.

What is your approximate summer schedule? Stay safe and happy cruising.

make a gasket using a screwdriver

I have made gaskets using the method shown in the video link since my dad showed me 40 years ago. In the video they use a ball peen hammer but I have always used the plastic handle of a screwdriver that is rounded on the end. I think it makes a more finished product and there is no worry of damaging any surfaces.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I think I'm going to hold on the Permatex 1 for now and see if I can source some gasket materials at some point along the way. We are hopefully heading to Ocean Falls today if this wind will lay down a bit. The wharfinger there has quite the shop and he might have some stuff otherwise I will see what I can find in Queen Charlotte City.

Tom: we are making our way to Gwaii Haanas, with the hope of crossing Hecate approximately June 12. Ocean Falls for 2 days for crabs and water. Back to Shearwater for a night, Clothes Bay outside of Klemtu for a night, Chappel Inlet via Meyers Passage for 2 nights, McMicking for a night or two, Spicer Island to wait for a weather window, or else Larson Harbour or Griffith Anchorage at the top end of Banks Island the night before crossing Hecate Strait. We have a fairly broad window for visiting Gwaii Haanas, in case weather issues. We have the poles and paravanes, but Hecate is a 67 mile crossing and it has a reputation.

https://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=01&siteID=06200&stationID=WZV

Jim

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom