Old 05-29-2023, 01:55 PM   #1
tiz

City: Milford
Paging Peggy....

So, i removed the vent filter from our mainship 390 holding tank vent. It's unfortunate that the vent is like 1/2" hose as i know bigger is better. I cant reach the bent fitting to change it.

The system is not smelly inside the boat. We have a vacuflush system which uses fresh water.

Now when the commode is flushed, the burst of strong sulfur-smell encapsulates the entire boat inside and out.

We will be the darling of the anchorage.....

I use ko. What can i do about the smell?

--kevin
tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 02:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
The best fix is to get more oxygen into the tank. Either put in a larger, preferably 2 vents one to each side of the boat, or put in a bubbler system and the current vent will likely be adequate l. Some here have made their own bubbler system. I have put Groco Sweetank in some of our boats and they have worked well. More oxygen in the crap and you will get aerobic bacteria which is good and doesnít smell. Not enough oxygen and you get anaerobic bacteria which is bad and stinks horribly.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 02:39 PM   #3
tiz

City: Milford
Thanks. A vent to either side isn't feasible. With guest cabin on port the hose route would be 20 ft long. Stbd existing could be replaced if i want to carve up the hull inboard of the vent fitting for access.

Probably don't have access for a bubbler. May go back to a filter for this season as I don't really have bandwidth to restructure the vent.

--Kevin
tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 04:26 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The Groco Sweetank comes with a bung so you just use a hole saw to cut a hole in the top of the tank and insert the bubbler pipe. It is very low draw on power, like 4 watts or so. Then your existing vent will be good enough for aerobic bacteria to grow. You really want to get away from the vent filter. They block airflow and make the problem worse.
Old 05-29-2023, 04:37 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
A DIY bubbler is cheap and effective.
Details on my Bacchus site (link in signature)... Projects section.
I had a spare fitting but as Dave said EZ add ons are available & easy.
Bubbling via a dip tube is fine.
[EDIT] The 12V aquarium I used & show has been incredibly durable. Mine runs 24/7 for 6+ months / season and the original installed in about 2015
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 04:44 PM   #6
Guru

City: AR
IMO a bubbler is the best solution. A number of boat owners have DIYed them using a bait well or fish tank aerator. They go inside the tank, so I'm fairly certain you DO have room for one.0 Bacchus, a member here, is one...send him a PM asking for his help.

You could even pay someone to install one for about the price of another filter.

I see Don showed up while I was typing. Great!

-Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 04:47 PM   #7
Guru

City: Friday Harbor, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
We added one, a 12v aquarium air pump from Amazon, some pvc pipes, some flexible tubing and for about $40 our tank no longer smells.

I also upgraded the vent to a 3/4Ē hose with a 3/4Ē thru hull fitting to replace the vent fitting in the hull.
Airstream345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:42 AM   #8

City: Lake Macquarie, NSW
Vessel Name: Happy Hour - Not named by me though
Vessel Model: 1985 Clipper 34 - Aft Cabin
Hi all. I have a Clipper 34 (1985 Mark III - I believe). It is the twin cabin version with Heads fore and aft. I also have been chasing a smell since purchase 5 years ago. It almost disappears after opening windows and doors etc and I have always thought is was solely due to a slight diesel leak. Well, the diesel tank finally failed and I have now installed a Poly Tank (with no leaks) but in the process of cleaning the bilge etc where the tank sits I "accidentally" got my nose very close to the sanitation hose from the front Head to the holding tank in the aft cabin and the hose itself is "very" smelly I must say. My question is - should I consider replacing this hose or is there a treatment etc for it to reduce or eliminate the smell? Hoping this makes sense and I do apologise if this has been covered elsewhere on this forum. Cheers.
Imacss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 11:55 AM   #9
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Ever since we removed the vent filter on Peggy's advice a few years ago, we've never had a holding tank or toilet-related smell ever since. Vanished. All the money I spent changing those filters constantly, trying to get the smell to go away...
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 12:45 PM   #10
Guru

I love reading that applying a simple law of physics (organic matter can't generate odor in aerobic conditions) worked again for y'all!

Imacss: Replacement is the ONLY cure for permeated hose and if one stinks, they all will if they don't already, so bite the bullet and replace 'em all at once--and with hose that's not only guaranteed to remain odor free for 10 years, but is also so flexible it can be bent almost as tight as a hairpin without kinking, which makes the job a LOT easier! That would be Raritan SaniFlex RaritanSaniFlex hose which is also the top rated sanitation hose. Defender has 1" and 1.5" for $10-$11/ft, Raritan Sani / Flex Sanitation Hose at Defender and they sell it by the foot (many retailers only sell 50' coils. You can use Shields or Trident #148 (the cheap stuff) for the toilet intake and vent lines.

I HOPE you your new poly fuel tank IS tank made to hold fuel, not a tank from a water/waste tank mfr 'cuz poly fuel tanks must be made of of CROSS LINKED poly which is a different type of poly than the linear poly used to make water or waste tanks...petroleum products will saturate it. Plastic fuel tanks must also meet a bunch of USCG standards that include "no surface on which liquids can pool" and "all fittings (which must also meet USCG standards) ON the top."

--Peggie
Old 06-08-2023, 01:35 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

+1 on the Raritan SaniFlex hose. Excellent and very flexible.
Old 06-08-2023, 04:33 PM   #12

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz View Post
So, i removed the vent filter from our mainship 390 holding tank vent. It's unfortunate that the vent is like 1/2" hose as i know bigger is better. I cant reach the bent fitting to change it.

The system is not smelly inside the boat. We have a vacuflush system which uses fresh water.

Now when the commode is flushed, the burst of strong sulfur-smell encapsulates the entire boat inside and out.

We will be the darling of the anchorage.....

--kevin
wouldn't the easy and cheap fix be to just install a another vent filter?
Don L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 05:29 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
wouldn't the easy and cheap fix be to just install a another vent filter?
No to the filter. Yes to 2 vents. Filters block the airflow which promotes the anaerobic bacteria which is the bad stinky bacteria. You want air in the tank so aerobic bacteria can grow. I installed 2 1.5” vents on our current boat. One to each side of the boat. I used Uniseal plugs to connect the hoses to the holding tank. If you have the room to run the vents it is pretty easy to do. Or add a bubbler system if you can’t add 2 large vents.
Old 06-08-2023, 07:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
. Filters block the airflow which promotes the anaerobic bacteria which is the bad stinky bacteria.
if you keep the stink in the tank where it belongs jt doesn't matter if the tank goes anaerobic. Lots of city WWTPs work this way. You don't need air in the tank if your tank, hoses, connections are not leaking.
Old 06-08-2023, 07:59 PM   #15
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I’m not a fan of filters in vent lines but if you didn’t have a problem before you removed the filter, just replace it.

The danger is the small vent hose and filter can clog. Then you have a whole other problem.
Old 06-08-2023, 08:10 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
if you keep the stink in the tank where it belongs jt doesn't matter if the tank goes anaerobic. Lots of city WWTPs work this way. You don't need air in the tank if your tank, hoses, connections are not leaking.
Until the smell finds a way out of the holding tank into the boatÖ
Old 06-08-2023, 08:18 PM   #17

well you should fix that!!!!
Old 06-08-2023, 09:03 PM   #18
Guru

No to the filter. Yes to 2 vents.

Dave, you keep "mandating" two vents, but two vents that accomplish anything more than one is impossible on many boats. Worse yet, I keep reading (not necessarily from you) that "Peggie Hall recommends two vents." I don't and never have. That CAN be a solution, but it's not the only, nor even the best, solution on every boat and, as already noted, so impractical on some boats as to be impossible.

--Peggie
Old 06-08-2023, 09:22 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I don’t believe I have ever said that you mandated 2 vents. 2 vents or a bubbler are good solutions as I said above. I am not a fan of vent filters though. I said or add a bubbler if you can’t add 2 vents. Our last boat didn’t lend itself well to 2 vents so I put in a bubbler system, Groco Sweetank. Read what I posted in #2 and #4. I just prefer the 2 vents to a bubbler system since it is simpler. No electricity required and no maintenance.
Old 06-09-2023, 06:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz View Post

--kevin
One thing worth doing is flushing your tank to reduce all the built up solids