Onan MDKBM-5747460 Fuel consumption

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Hippocampus
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 42
In actual use does anyone know fuel consumption for this Onan 11.5kw genset?
Thanks

Depends on the load. 8 KW is about 1 gph. It’s pretty linear math calc.

It’s a 11.5 kw. ?about the same? Anyone know for 11.5?

Thanks for the ballpark number HW. Wanted idle, half load, full load for 11.5kw
Last boat had a NL. It sipped fuel until full load.

I was able to find an Onan spec sheet for that unit. The 11.5 MDKBM lists fuel consumption as 0.3 gal/hr at no load, 0.4 gal/hr at 25% load, 0.7 gal/hr at 50% load, 0.8 gal/hr at 75% load and 1 gal/hr at full load. The numbers look a bit more linear for the ones shown in liters/hour, so the gallons are definitely rounded.

Those numbers seem maybe a hair optimistic to me, but not unreasonably low. The 9.5kw / 50hz version of the unit lists a correspondingly lower full load consumption of 0.9 gal/hr.

Thanks so much RS. Exactly the information wanted. Agree seems optimistic. For total trip calculation will use 1.2g/h. Still have ample reserves if I keep to ~7kts. Even f I need the SeaKeeper continuously on. Very humid and hot today in the chessie. Have AC on. Hopefully won’t need it once moving. Think in response to the jacked up fuel costs folks will cut down on discretionary draws. Use shore water instead of RO. Open hatches and have fans on instead of AC. Maybe even turn off ice makers, avoid Microwave and toaster use. I refuse to be uncomfortable if possible. Think when you’re comfortable you make better decisions. So will make a few concessions but not all I can think of. Biggest concession for us SD trawler types is to go slow.

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect continuous full load, so even 1 gal/hr for average consumption is likely conservative.

Rslifkin, can you post the link where you found those? I have 15kw gens and would like to see what they spec at. Thx.

Rslifkin, can you post the link where you found those? I have 15kw gens and would like to see what they spec at. Thx.

I just searched around for the model, kw output and then "spec sheet" and found a website that had it. I didn't stumble across a full listing of Onan spec sheets, unfortunately.

Got it. I'll try the same. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom