Nova Kool 12V refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delta Dog

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Plan B
Vessel Make
1982 Ocean Alexander 43
I have a 11CF Nova Kool refrigerator with the freezer on the bottom, the freezer is working great, but the fridge is having a hard time keeping things below 60 degrees. It runs all the time too. I know we've been having a heat wave for the last few weeks here in the California delta, but the freezer stays frozen, so why wouldn't the fridge keep working? Time to replace?

Thaw it out maybe. Had fridge that would freeze ice in the area that would flow air from freezer to refer.

Don't know if your units have separate compressors, but I had a Nova Kool reefer once that wouldn't get cold and someone told me to take it out, turn it upside down overnight then reinstall it. After I quit laughing, I figured I had nothing to lose, so did it. Worked fine for the next two years until I sold the boat.

Apparently, an air lock can occur in the refrigerant circuit, reducing efficiency. Turning it upside down essentially "burps" the system, getting things back to normal...

We defrosted it several weeks ago, left it off during the week and started it back up the following weekend. Nada. I will try the upside down trick next weekend.....

Was it working before you defrosted it?

We defrosted it because it was not working well and very iced up. with no ice, there was no improvement.

#1 Contact Nova Kool either through the website or a telephone call.

#2 Sometimes a small dry cell operated fan is needed inside the fridge to force the air to circulate. RV often have the same/similar problem and that little fan can help.

#3 A fan to exhaust the fridge cavity can help. If the hot air heated by the fridge compressor cannot easily escape then the unit cannot cool properly. These unita do have an output that will run a small muffin or computer type fan, 12V dc, or up to ~ 0.5 A. The fan runs only when the fridge operates. That fan needs to be mounted high in the fridge enclosure so it blows the heated air out, either out of the boat or into the salon/cabin. As long as the heated air is evacuated. If it cannot get rid of that heat it cannot cool.

#4 some times fridges can be packed so tightly that the cold air cannot make its way around inside. How is yours packed.

These items can be checked and taken care of relatively easily/inexpensively.

But contact them and see what they have to say for any additional advice.

"That fan needs to be mounted high in the fridge enclosure so it blows the heated air out, either out of the boat or into the salon/cabin. As long as the heated air is evacuated. If it cannot get rid of that heat it cannot cool."

An additional benefit is the outside of a fridge trapped in a small closet may be heated by the unit operating.

Delta

Does your unit have separate refrigerant lines for each of the cold plates? If so, maybe there is a leak that affects the upper unit only.

We are going to take the fridge out of it's enclosure and check out the fan in the back and maybe turn it upside down over night. Besides, we can't seem to find the model # to give to Nova Kool...Thanks for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom