New marine windows/deadlights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako

Guru
Does anyone have experience with installing weld-on steel windows (commercial grade) on their steel boat versus the usual bolt-on aluminum framed windows? Any particular disadvantages besides a bit more maintenance regarding corrosion?

Also I would be considering a heated window for the pilothouse center window (either 24VDC or 240VAC).

I've done weld on in shipyards, but on ships with much heavier steel than yachts. You need to be careful with too much continuous heat. Probably some form of skip welding to keep the plating from distorting. After welding, the beads were sand blasted and painted like the other steel. I don't remember hearing or seeing any corrosion problems. That was a long time ago and we have better paint now.

"Also I would be considering a heated window for the pilothouse center window (either 24VDC or 240VAC)."

Some folks prefer the round units that spin rapidly as they will clear rain in warmer weather too.

Your comments have me thinking about a couple of things. Since these units are quite heavy (55-80 lbs) they need to be supported by the deckhouse framing, not the steel plate skin. So additional frames can be extended all the way to the window openings.

And if they are full-penetration welded to the support frames then they can be partial-penetration welded to the plate skin (butt welded). That should help to control distortion as well.

Some folks prefer the round units that spin rapidly as they will clear rain in warmer weather too.

Personally I’ve never liked those clear vue windows because the viewing area is so obscured, although their performance is excellent. My plan was for pantographs on the front windows and perhaps a straight line wiper for the center one, if my budget can afford it. The heater is for fogging and condensation control of the interior.

"The heater is for fogging and condensation control of the interior."

Have you tried a strong fan?

These usually take a short time to clear a fogged window , but will keep it clear after.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom