Old 05-02-2019, 07:04 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
New head time ?

Well it looks like my motor on my not so quiet Jabsco quiet flush toilet has give it up. The toilet is fairly old and might be time to replace . If I decide to replace toilet I’m looking for suggestions. I want something close to this footprint and I don’t need to change out pump or hoses. I could go with same thing but is there something a little better?
Attached Thumbnails
5146C702-C3A4-431B-8255-CB591E8A33C0.jpg   CC9EBEE3-4933-442A-AC73-01E1F809F4AA.jpg  
Old 05-02-2019, 07:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Raritan Marine Elegance would be my choice above all others. Don’t know if the foorprint is anywhere close or not.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:30 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Construction detail:

Old 05-02-2019, 07:34 PM   #4
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Take a look at the Raritan Sea Era Conversion Kit. You can reuse your bowl and the supply pump. https://raritaneng.com/raritan-produ...onversion-kit/

Talk to Mac at Raritan Ft. Lauderdale.

Comodave’s suggestion is excellent as well. I suggested the Sea Era because it will save you a few bucks.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:06 PM   #5
TF Site Team

The motor for this toilet is $155 at go2 Marine.That Raritan looks nice and I would love to have one. We’re just weekend warriors right now and an occasional week long trips maybe twice a year. I’ve got think this through. I just replaced my house bank batteries and installed a new water tank. The car is gonna need tires in a couple months and we just installed new granite countertops in the house. I can’t think too long the season is upon us.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #6
TF Site Team

We never use the intake pump with lake water. We keep a gallon jug of fresh water for flushing the head. It just smells better. Even if I get a new toilet probably wouldn’t use the intake pump that much or ever. I eventually want to install a dedicated fresh water tank for the head. I have the room.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:41 PM   #7
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
I had the same trouble two years ago, the motor died, the brushes were fried. You may find good deals on ebay. I choose to replace the motor as at the end it was cheaper than the whole system and obviously well... you just dump in it and use it few minutes a day... Like you I had some other areas where it was more important to put my money.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:13 PM   #8
TF Site Team

If I could replace it with maybe something decent around $650 to 700 I would probably go for it. At the moment I have a hard time spending $1000 plus on a new toilet. If I was ready to do the dedicated fresh water tank for the toilet I would go for the Raritan Elegance. I think it would be overkill if we’re not going to use lake water for flush. I’m sure Peggy is just around the corner to chime in .
Old 05-02-2019, 09:39 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
You don’t need a dedicated tank for the Marine Elegance. You can hook it to your present fresh water system. You can use lake water if you want to but I would just hook it to your fresh water system. You should be able to get one in the $600 to $700 range.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:55 PM   #10
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
You don’t need a dedicated tank for the Marine Elegance. You can hook it to your present fresh water system. You can use lake water if you want to but I would just hook it to your fresh water system. You should be able to get one in the $600 to $700 range.
I just installed a new very small only 20 gallon fresh water tank. For the time being that’s all the fresh water we have. Afterthought I wish I would’ve cut out an old 150 gallon fuel tank and installed more fresh water in that area .That would’ve reduced our fuel capacity to 250 gallons and that’s plenty. I didn’t think that through like I should have and I’m kicking myself for it. I still plan on doing that someday. The toilet I have now uses a rocker switch so I don’t have to take in lake water for simple flush. The lake water really smelled up the toilet.Does the Raritan always use the intank pump for flush or can you just add water like I’m doing now until I get more fresh water capacity?
Old 05-02-2019, 10:40 PM   #11
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Marty think about getting a fresh water flush Raritan Elegance or Sea Era. I think you could just not hook it to the fresh water system and pour water in as you’ve been doing. Then later when you get more tankage you can hook it into the system. The fresh water flush versions are the cheapest as you don’t need an intake pump. They use your pressure water system. With the Sea Era Conversion you don’t need to buy a new bowl.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:54 PM   #12

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Timeless
Vessel Model: CHB 34
Marty
I would repair the Jabsco toilet you have. Done so myself and it’s not the awful job you would imagine. Virtually any part you need is available. The benefit of course is that the repaired unit will connect up where the old one was.
Doug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:27 AM   #13
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
We have a Jabsco QF, freshwater version. Eventually got very loud and then started leaking a bit...

The pump/macerator assembly can be rebuilt (see Jabsco/Xylem site for manual, parts diagram, etc.). I rebuilt one, I think at about the 10 year mark; kind of yucky job, and it didn't really cause "Quiet" to return. Paul Campagna (the Xylem/Jabsco guy, suggested maybe I'd gotten my money's worth from the original. Fair enough.

I replaced it with a new pump/macerator. "Quiet" returned. Easy job. 10 minutes?
Something like that. Not particularly expensive. Should have done this first, instead of yutzing around with the rebuild.

The Marine Elagance units look nice and get great reviews... but in our installation, fitting seamlessly onto the existing fiberglass riser the boat builder used would be more easily solved by a direct replacement... unless it happens the Elegance bolt pattern is exactly the same, etc.

-Chris
Old 05-03-2019, 06:41 AM   #14
FF
Guru

If you have a bunch of lubber guests , you are stuck with needing an electric unit.

I'm lazy so we chose to rebuild a premium mechanical unit , as both of us know how to move a big bronze pump handle.

KISS?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:23 AM   #15
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Marty think about getting a fresh water flush Raritan Elegance or Sea Era. I think you could just not hook it to the fresh water system and pour water in as you’ve been doing. Then later when you get more tankage you can hook it into the system. The fresh water flush versions are the cheapest as you don’t need an intake pump. They use your pressure water system. With the Sea Era Conversion you don’t need to buy a new bowl.
Thanks Parks,
If this will work I'm think that's what I'm going to do. I just want to make sure that I won't burn up or wear something out because I don't have any water hooked up. I also want to make sure that I get the right switch that will work the way I need it to. We've gotten used to the manually adding the water thing so that's no big deal.
I've got another option also for fresh water, a 55 gallon built in tank. I couldn't make it potable the way it is but could maybe make it dedicated to the head. I'm going to give Mac a call.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:25 AM   #16
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
If you have a bunch of lubber guests , you are stuck with needing an electric unit.

I'm lazy so we chose to rebuild a premium mechanical unit , as both of us know how to move a big bronze pump handle.

KISS?
If your talking about the old skipper head,that is another option. I don't think it's available new anymore.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:10 AM   #17
Guru

City: AR
If you're on a tight budget this year, just replacing the motor on the Jabsco will solve your immediate problem. But if your boat budget can stand $700, the Raritan Marine Elegance is is the top rated electric macerating toilet. (The Raritan SeaEra is also an excellent choice, but there's not enogh difference in the price of the "QC" fresh water version and th Elegance to go with it IMO) Not only is the Elegance the quietest marine toilet, but that price includes the optional "SmartFlush" panel that provides 4 flush choices: bring in water ahead of use (essential before solids), dry flush, low water flush and "full" flush for when you need it...all of which conserves fresh water and holding tank capacity. Raritan Marine_Elegance Promo.pdf It's designed to use pressurized fresh water but if there's a little more $$ in your budget, adding the "sea/fresh" option Raritan seafresh.pdf allows switching between fresh water and sea water at will, doing even more to conserve fresh water.

Give Hopkins Carter Marine a call: Hopkins Carter Marine Raritan Marine Elegance

--Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:20 AM   #18
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
If you're on a tight budget this year, just replacing the motor on the Jabsco will solve your immediate problem. But if your boat budget can stand $700, the Raritan Marine Elegance is is the top rated electric macerating toilet. (The Raritan SeaEra is also an excellent choice, but there's not enogh difference in the price of the "QC" fresh water version and th Elegance to go with it IMO) Not only is the Elegance the quietest marine toilet, but that price includes the optional "SmartFlush" panel that provides 4 flush choices: bring in water ahead of use (essential before solids), dry flush, low water flush and "full" flush for when you need it...all of which conserves fresh water and holding tank capacity. Raritan Marine_Elegance Promo.pdf It's designed to use pressurized fresh water but if there's a little more $$ in your budget, adding the "sea/fresh" option Raritan seafresh.pdf allows switching between fresh water and sea water at will, doing even more to conserve fresh water.

Give Hopkins Carter Marine a call: Hopkins Carter Marine Raritan Marine Elegance

--Peggie
Thanks Peggie,
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Raritan Marine Elegance. I kinda like the simplicty of the heavy duty push button. I talked with a tech at Raritan and he said I would be ok pouring the water in until I get my tank hooked up.
Peggie you are the one who changed my mind about taking in lake water and now since we are using fresh water, even though we are pouring it in manually we have almost zero smell.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #19
Guru

City: AR
You won't need a separate flush water tank for the Elegance...it's designed to be connected to the boat's potable water plumbing. Besides, installing a flush water tank isn't that simple because it has to be vented and have its own separate fill--neither of which are really necessary for toilet that use pressurized fresh water, but US CG regs require it and the next owner of your boat may install a sea water toilet. So if you just want to add another water tank to expand your fresh water, that's one thing...but I wouldn't install a tank dedicated to toilet flush water.

I think you'll regret omitting the Smart Panel flush...it's so easy to guests to use 'cuz they only need to push the light flush or full flush button and walk away...no need to keep a finger on a button till the bowl contents reach the tank--which no one ever does...they quit as soon as the bowl is empty, leaving waste in the discharge hose. And the ability to bring water in ahead of use leaves the bowl a lot cleaner, requiring very little flush water to finish rinsing it.

--Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:21 AM   #20
TF Site Team

Does anyone know if the Marine Elegance can be installed freestanding? This is how mine is installed now. I might be able to back it up to the bulkhead if the cabinet door will clear.
Attached Thumbnails
23F5E9B9-EC83-40EC-9B7F-EDC049413C7C.jpg