Old 05-03-2019, 12:14 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
You won't need a separate flush water tank for the Elegance...it's designed to be connected to the boat's potable water plumbing. Besides, installing a flush water tank isn't that simple because it has to be vented and have its own separate fill--neither of which are really necessary for toilet that use pressurized fresh water, but US CG regs require it and the next owner of your boat may install a sea water toilet. So if you just want to add another water tank to expand your fresh water, that's one thing...but I wouldn't install a tank dedicated to toilet flush water.

I think you'll regret omitting the Smart Panel flush...it's so easy to guests to use 'cuz they only need to push the light flush or full flush button and walk away...no need to keep a finger on a button till the bowl contents reach the tank--which no one ever does...they quit as soon as the bowl is empty, leaving waste in the discharge hose. And the ability to bring water in ahead of use leaves the bowl a lot cleaner, requiring very little flush water to finish rinsing it.

--Peggie
Peggie I will give the smart switch some more thought .

As far as fresh water tank goes we only have 20 gallons right now. Yep that's not a misprint. If you want to bore yourself you can look at my watertank issues thread from this past winter. I basically got disgusted and installed the only off the self Ronco tank I could get through a hatch and in the old tank area, plus I was running out of time.
I have another 55 gallon built in tank on the starboard side that I'm not using because I couldn't make it potable but I think it would be fine for the toilet and I need the extra weight. For now we will just be using gallon jugs even with the new toilet.We don't travel very far and never for more than a few days. I will have to add another pressure system. Everyone's situation can differ but mine are always kinda goofy.

I'm hoping this thread doesn't bore everyone as much as my water tank thread .
Old 05-03-2019, 12:16 PM   #22
Guru

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
mine buts up to the wall it would be hard to run the lines to the side like that.mine run down and the hoses are hidden after installation . can you run the hoses down? with the one you are looking at you can get away with 1" line i used 1.5"
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:50 PM   #23
Dwk

City: Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: Patty Ann
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1 1980
Another vote for Raritan Elegance with smart control panel option.
Dwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #24
FF
Guru

"If your talking about the old skipper head,that is another option. I don't think it's available new anymore."

Back in the day the quality mfg created exquisite working manual heads .

Rebuild kits may run $125 the price of a bargain plastic head.

For folks that need a modern head the Lavac is a fine working , easy to maintain head.

We stole the Lavavc flush concept and built a head that uses a Liberty ship monel bowl , hooked to a 2 inch bronze Edson bilge pump..

In 20 years it always worked ,no maint!, will even pump a mans tie or golf ball , overboard, but at a gallon a stroke its hard on the holding tank capacity.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:39 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Green Cove Springs
Raritan Elegance is great the only downsides are the fittings to mount it to the floor that are very fiddly and they have “captive nuts” inside that aren’t, so getting a good solid mount can take some time. Also I found the tall to not be that tall so I made a plinth to put it on to bring it up a bit. The plinth also helped adapt it around the holes left by the old Vacuflush. I now have one Elegance and one Vacuflush and if the remaining VF as much as coughs it is gone.
PaulGel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:01 PM   #26
Guru

City: AR
The Elegance bolts to the head sole (floor), so there's no reason it has to be against a bulkhead. One way to find out whether it fits under to locker door: Get out a tape measure and measure the height of your current toilet. Compare that number with height of the Elegance...you'll find the dimensions in the promo sheet (see the link to it that I provided in post #18 in this thread). Based on what I THINK I'm seeing in your photo, you'll prob'ly want to go with the short version that's intended to sit on a raised platform.

--Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:06 AM   #27
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Vote # 99 for the Marine Elegance!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:26 AM   #28
TF Site Team

Thanks everyone for all the input. I decided Friday on the short, straight back Marine Raritan Elegance. I decidecd to sleep on it and wait till today to order but I found the problem with mine Friday night. I'm a little embarrassed to say but I know I should share this.

When we went to the boat on Friday night I turned the battery charger on as soon as we got there. I waited a couple minutes and the tried the toilet and it worked better,not perfect but better. The charge rate at that time was about 14 volts. I'm a woodworker and not so good with electrical but I can stumble my way through some stuff. What I found was a slightly loose butt connection. I cut it back and installed new connector and wallah it worked.

Normally I'm not this patient. Any other time I would've ordered the toilet had it shipped overnight, held at the dock and picked it up Saturday morning and been back in buisness doing our buisness Saturday night.

I still plan on ordering the toilet plus everything I need to hook up it the way it's designed with fresh water. Now I have time to gather everything up I need, new intake and discharge hose, plus repair my fresh water tank.

I guess one of the best things about getting older is that I'm finally learning some patience. It took me over 60 years but it sure feels good.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:15 AM   #29
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Thanks everyone for all the input. I decided Friday on the short, straight back Marine Raritan Elegance. I decidecd to sleep on it and wait till today to order but I found the problem with mine Friday night. I'm a little embarrassed to say but I know I should share this.

When we went to the boat on Friday night I turned the battery charger on as soon as we got there. I waited a couple minutes and the tried the toilet and it worked better,not perfect but better. The charge rate at that time was about 14 volts. I'm a woodworker and not so good with electrical but I can stumble my way through some stuff. What I found was a slightly loose butt connection. I cut it back and installed new connector and wallah it worked.

Normally I'm not this patient. Any other time I would've ordered the toilet had it shipped overnight, held at the dock and picked it Saturday morning and been back in buisness doing our buisness Saturday night.

I still plan on ordering the toilet plus everything I need to hook up it the way it's designed with fresh water. Now I have time to gather everything up I need, new intake and discharge hose, plus repair my fresh water tank.

I guess one of the best things about getting older is that I'm finally learning some patience. It took me over 60 years but it sure feels good.
Brother- that's the best repair. One that is quick and easy, and costs $0!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:27 AM   #30
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Marty I hope you’ll forgive me for getting a good laugh out of that one. Been there.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #31
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Marty I hope you’ll forgive me for getting a good laugh out of that one. Been there.
That's perfect Parks at least now I know I've done my Boy Scout "good deed for the day". I was noticing the motor was getting weaker and weaker. Once it quit I said that's it it's done. The wire at the connection was slowly breaking down.

I guess now I need to spend some time going over connections on everything.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:06 PM   #32
Guru

Your toilet shopping efforts weren't wasted...when yours does poop out (no pun intended)--and it will because low voltage is highly destructive to all electric motors, you already know exactly what to buy. Meanwhile, you have time to budget for it.

Last week I bought a couple of solar powered spotlights for my back yard...Put 'em out exactly where I thought they should be, let 'em charge all the next day...couldn't wait to see how that area looked lit. It wasn't. Ok...it was overcast today, maybe they just need to charge longer. No light the next night either. I started taking 'em up to return 'em. That's when I discovered they have an on/off button.

--Peggie

--
Old 05-06-2019, 05:27 PM   #33

City: Pnw
Vessel Name: SARAH TOO
Vessel Model: 40’ beer can
Just for consideration, look into composting toilets. They have strong advantages and a few disadvantages but for me, I’ll stay with the composting options for my boats and vans.
Sea Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:20 PM   #34
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
That's perfect Parks at least now I know I've done my Boy Scout "good deed for the day". I was noticing the motor was getting weaker and weaker. Once it quit I said that's it it's done. The wire at the connection was slowly breaking down.
I guess now I need to spend some time going over connections on everything.
This is on point and may help someone. We had a similar issue with a Jabsco. The pump/macerator, like fading car paint, had got slower, almost without us realizing, until it stopped. An inspection of the Jabsco factory supplied inline fuse, one of those pronged fuses which sits in a plastic flip top closeable little box, showed the fuse was festered looking. Replaced the fuse and the thing ran like new. The new fuse inside the little box was coated in that liquid insulation material,and we keep a stock of the 25A fuses onboard.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:00 PM   #35
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
Your toilet shopping efforts weren't wasted...when yours does poop out (no pun intended)--

--Peggie

--
Yes it was. You can’t get away with that, we know you too well.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:49 PM   #36
Guru

It's such a common expression that I bet it would have gone unnoticed if I hadn't said "no pun intended."
Old 05-10-2019, 12:35 PM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Florida
Replace the pump and be done with it...save your money for something more important that will eventually come up...my 2 cents
Old 05-10-2019, 01:13 PM   #38

City: St. Petersburg
We had a similar issue. It was cheaper to by the whole unit versus all of our trouble shooting which ended up being a crack in the base.
skahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:38 PM   #39

City: Powell River
Vessel Model: 1978 Hershine
Raritan Elegance

Retail price for this head in Canada is $1774.00 ! The slant back is over $1900!
Capt8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:53 PM   #40
Guru

There are a couple of retailers here (I recommend Hopkins-Carter Marine Hopkins Carter Marine Raritan Marine Elegance ) who have it for about $700USD--including the optional $150 "SmartFlush" panel. At today's rate of exchange that's $943 CD.

A lot of our Canadian customers who lived within even an entire day's drive of the US border would rent a US address--very inexpensive--at someplace like the UPS store or Mailboxes Etc (just about every town has an independent version) and have all their purchases from US vendors shipped to it. Nothing illegal about it...it just eliminates "international " shipping charges and "customs brokerage fees" and reduces time in transit to days instead of weeks. You'd still declare it at the border and pay any duty owed. A bit of a PITA for you to come down from Powell Lake to the nearest US town, but worth it to save over $800 on just one item IMO.

--Peggie