Old 06-07-2021, 07:32 PM   #1

City: myrtle beach
Vessel Name: Jubilee
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
New A/C Unit. Dometic or Something Else?

Installing a new 16,000 btu a/c unit in the boat and was going to use a Dometic unit. However, they are back ordered. Is there another brand unit that I should consider or should I wait for the Dometic? Any feedback will be useful...
Sidclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:43 PM   #2
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Ask me in 10 years. I just installed two webasto units. They fit the space and the price was right. Cruise Aire was $4,000, Webasto was $1400.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:48 PM   #3

City: All over
Vessel Name: Chapter II
Vessel Model: 1972 42 foot Alloy Mfg
I’ve got flagship marine out of FL. US built High quality components not mfg specific. Super simple user serviceable, no expensive printed circuit boards. Just rebuilt the entire electronics side of it for $130. Also replaced blower motor was a pain but not overly hard. If you like diy service possibilities it’s prob your best bet. If you want outside service I’d wait for the dometic units.
Jmarsh203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I have had good success with Mermaid units. Have put them in 4 boats. Good support.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:44 PM   #5
Guru

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
Ripped out my 35 year old central a/c and replaced it with 5 Marinaire units, 2 years ago and all operating flawless. I did the same on my previous Cheoy Lee as well . They performed well as well. Current price $1800 for a 208vac 16000btu unit. Always found great service from them and fast delivery.
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:53 PM   #6

City: myrtle beach
Vessel Name: Jubilee
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Update. I decided on and ordered the Webasto FCF Platinum 16,000 btu unit. The deciding factor was the warranty. I like the idea of warranty issues being handled by a local tech. The others all wanted their units sent back to the factory for warranty work. The unit will hit me on Tuesday and I should have it installed in a day. I'll report back on how the installation went..
Sidclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:34 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
I've got an AC unit that is ready for service or replacement and will look into Webasto.

On a related note, why don't I read more about folks replacing water condensed heat pump units like these with air condensed RV type units? Seems like removing as many holes in one's hull as possible would be a good thing. No hoses or clamps or seacock corrosion or strainers or stuck valve to worry about. Finding a place for the condenser is not hard on 36-40 foot boats, or at least not on mine.
HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:49 PM   #8
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I have one webasto platinum unit and one Webasto Classic unit. They both have been doing the job. I tend to use them for heat way more than for cooling.

The main difference is that the classic model runs the fan constantly and turns on the compressor when needed. This is advantageous in the bedroom as you never here the compressor clicking in on start up nor are you woken up because of the change in white noise. The constant operation of the fan prevents cold spots in the room and eliminates condensation issues.

With the platinum model the fan only runs when the compressor runs. This means that the saloon is free of fan noise most of the time.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote