Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-17-2022, 10:03 AM   #1
Guru
 
angus99's Avatar
 
City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,668
New A/C Controllers

Getting ready to replace three aging Cruisair split systems on our boat. The antiquated controllers are about seven inches high and perhaps two inches wide. The replacements will be more like 2.5 inches high and 3.5 wide. For those of you who have done this, what did you use for a bezel to hide the vertical holes that the new controllers wonít cover. Pictures would be much appreciated.
Attached Images
 
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:07 AM   #2
Guru
 
City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4,976
Marine Air (now Dometic) makes a plate that fits the old 3 knob control spot and has a smaller opening for their newer electronic controllers. My boat has those from when the original A/Cs were replaced. I've replaced one again with a Webasto unit and was able to get the Webasto controller into that bezel as well (not quite a perfect fit, but good enough).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:19 AM   #3
Guru
 
angus99's Avatar
 
City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,668
Thanks, and a followup for those with new controllers: which model did you go with and how do you like them?
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:16 PM   #4
Guru
 
angus99's Avatar
 
City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Marine Air (now Dometic) makes a plate that fits the old 3 knob control spot and has a smaller opening for their newer electronic controllers. My boat has those from when the original A/Cs were replaced. I've replaced one again with a Webasto unit and was able to get the Webasto controller into that bezel as well (not quite a perfect fit, but good enough).
Not finding this on their site, unless youíre referring to the SMXii controller. I thought as long as I was doing this, Iíd incorporate WiFi-capable controllers into the A/C systems, which the SMXii doesnít seem to be.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:34 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
sailormike's Avatar
 
City: Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
Vessel Name: Miss Dot Dee
Vessel Model: 1980 29' Prairie Trawler
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 199
I have micro air controllers. They are amazing in the RV world they are the only retrofit WiFi and programmable thermostat for dometic rv units. That being said I have one on my Fifth-wheel. They also make a wide range of models for marine units. as far as making a adapter plate I use a lot of teak as our interior is full of it.





Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Not finding this on their site, unless youíre referring to the SMXii controller. I thought as long as I was doing this, Iíd incorporate WiFi-capable controllers into the A/C systems, which the SMXii doesnít seem to be.
__________________
Capt. Michael S. Hamby Jr.
"Miss Dot Dee"
1980 Prairie 29 Hull #50
https://missdotdee.net
sailormike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:13 PM   #6
Guru
 
angus99's Avatar
 
City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormike View Post
I have micro air controllers. They are amazing in the RV world they are the only retrofit WiFi and programmable thermostat for dometic rv units. That being said I have one on my Fifth-wheel. They also make a wide range of models for marine units. as far as making a adapter plate I use a lot of teak as our interior is full of it.
Thanks, Capt. Iím liking the micro air controllers as well, and might use them with new CTM units. And I found a nice slab of teak that should cover the old openings nicely.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:30 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
sailormike's Avatar
 
City: Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
Vessel Name: Miss Dot Dee
Vessel Model: 1980 29' Prairie Trawler
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 199
I am getting ready to retrofit a marine airrr unit now with micro air system. I am a dealer for micro air as well and might be able to save you a few bucks. just let me know.





Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Thanks, Capt. Iím liking the micro air controllers as well, and might use them with new CTM units. And I found a nice slab of teak that should cover the old openings nicely.
__________________
Capt. Michael S. Hamby Jr.
"Miss Dot Dee"
1980 Prairie 29 Hull #50
https://missdotdee.net
sailormike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:56 PM   #8
Guru
 
City: Montgomery
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 510
You probably can use the old controllers. I like them because they are dirt simple. The one I have now is digital, and you have to punch buttons to change fan speed out of auto. The old style you twist a knob. Much easier when moving in seas.
__________________
36 Grand Banks Europa
Montgomery, TX
Blog: "grandbankschoices"
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:15 PM   #9
TF Site Team
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 15,340
I have used Starboard to make them for different things that were smaller. It is pretty simple to do.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you arenít one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member
 
City: Cherry Hill
Vessel Model: Ocean Yachts 42 Sunliner
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 31
Angus99! Your PM box is full.
I can not send you a reply
Cleanslate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:17 PM   #11
Guru
 
angus99's Avatar
 
City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanslate View Post
Angus99! Your PM box is full.
I can not send you a reply
Sorry about that. I did make some room this morning. Saw some PMs from you and replied. Will be bE getting more stats for you.

Thanks!
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012