Nature's Head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My suggestion is to follow the directions that come with the unit. The manufacturer does not w as not you to fail. Your bad mouthing g their product is not good for business.
Once you get used to it you then have enough kowledge to experiment. Don't set yourself up for failure these guys know how their systems work.

Not for me, then. *sigh*

Humans ARE NOT SMALL DOGS. You do that and you will have a smelly mess you won't believe.......

I believe that’s why the fan is constantly on with that brand of head. Once the surface is dry, the smell factor would probably be reduced.

"The screened fan must work on the same principle and dry things out fairly quickly."

The peat moss dries out quite well between uses , so cranking mixes the waste and it is almost instantly dry , never a smell.

The only time I thing a composting head would have to be recharged more often is if one was preping for a colonoscopy.

"The screened fan must work on the same principle and dry things out fairly quickly."

The peat moss dries out quite well between uses , so cranking mixes the waste and it is almost instantly dry , never a smell.

The only time I thing a composting head would have to be recharged more often is if one was preping for a colonoscopy.

He was referring to the Separett Villa. It does not have a crank and does not use media. It dessicates using only a fan.

He was referring to the Separett Villa. It does not have a crank and does not use media. It dessicates using only a fan.

Thanks for pointing that out.

The Separett also doesn't have a pee container, as I believe it's intended for land based use.

You are right the Separett Villa is meant for land use but it can be used for on the go applications. You just have to plumb the urine tube into a grey water tank. The Nature's Head is a better option as it was designed for use on boats. It is perfect for that purpose as it can be used in a wet bath. This will save room in the head when you have a smaller boat. A lot of people go the route of obtaining a second urine bottle for those times at night when it gets full and they don't want to go empty it in the dark.

Helpful resource on the Nature's Head. https://www.shoptinyhouses.com/pages/natures-head-composting-toilet-common-questions

I have friends who got a boat with a composting head and they seem to like it a lot but I'm not sure they are in full compliance on liquid disposal. Unlike most folks on here, I fear, assuming I got used to the sit down to pee, that I would find it too easy too often to dump the liquids overboard in the middle of the night or close to shore. That said it sure would be nice not to have to worry about stinky overflowing holding tanks and clearing and replacing clogged hoses...

When at the marina I dump the liquids in the toilet every 3 days or so.

If anchored out I do dump the liquids overboard, but then I also pee overboard when anchored out or underway if possible.

Not having to deal with stinky hoses and tanks, toilet maintenance, and the gross pump out routine makes it worth it to me. But I’m easily grossed out by sewage.

I guarantee you that emptying your urine jug in shore-side facilities is far easier than pumping out. Of course, if you pay someone to pump you out currently it is cheaper, not easier.

However, the temptation may be there as you say. Similarly, I am sure many people are tempted to pump their holding tanks directly overboard instead of pumping out properly. In many places you cannot pump out period, so people are certainly dumping their sewage overboard. It is certainly better IMHO to dump urine overboard that a hodling tank. That is one thing I like about the composters.

The law is an ass.

It is legal to pee over the side , but to pee in a jug and empty it over the side is illegal!

One could never be bothered , as even at noon on 4th of July the jug could be emptied easily , who would care ???!

As noted,, better some urine in the water than gallons of macerated poop.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom