Mystery switches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sbman

Guru
Vessel Name
Second Chance
Vessel Make
42' Uniflite Double Cabin
I don't have a trawler exactly, a 1977 Uniflite double cabin, but many of the systems are the same. I'm hoping someone can help identify something for me. There are two foot switches on the console that appear to be hooked up to hydraulic lines, although I'm not certain. The could be electrical.

i-hqH7jNF-L.jpg

Here's a closeup:

i-dsQxKbN-L.jpg

They are stuck so I can't press them. I asked the autopilot manufacturer (benmar) and they aren't from that system. Anyone ever seen any switches like that on their boat?

Greetings,
Mr. sb. Welcome aboard. Yup, winch controls would be my guess as well. IF you don't have access from underneath, take out the 4 philips screws and have a look. Additional pictures may help.

Winch is a good idea, but I've traced the wiring of the winch and it's wired directly to a foot switch on deck and no other control wirings.

I thought maybe some kind of trim tabs but the boat doesn't have those either. I'll pull the panel and see what I find and post pictures of the underside if it comes up OK.

This boat has SO many old systems on it that are no longer in use, and most of which no longer work.

No thrusters equipped. I was hoping this was some kind of common boat switch people had seen before that I just wasn't aware of. hmmm

Well, are you completely sure that they aren't remote for the windlass? I don't think I have ever seen windlass with deck foot switches only.

Clearly since there are two it must be for something that needs two way control. And thrusters (which you don't have) and windlass are all I can think of.

Maybe that's the switch for the sink when you wash your hands and the guys who installed it just screwed up :D

L

They activate your window wash. Step on them and look out the window. If the water isn’t flowing you have some work to do.

These could be wired to the auto pilot as they might be faster at moving the rudder than the wheel steering.

The equal if a modern "jog" lever?

Headlight dimmer switch is the fun answer but windlass would make the most sense as something to operate in two directions and be operated while your hands are preoccupied with maneuvering the boat.

Well, are you completely sure that they aren't remote for the windlass? I don't think I have ever seen windlass with deck foot switches only.

Clearly since there are two it must be for something that needs two way control. And thrusters (which you don't have) and windlass are all I can think of.

All four of my boats (3 GBs and Bluewater 40) only had deck switches.

Tator

It doesn't seem to me these could be easily used as foot switches for thruster or windless.
I dont see how you could activate the fwd sw w/o the aft?
They at least should be rotated 90* to be useful / selective??

Maybe these are for the flashers when you turn port or starboard?

L

I looked at them in more detail last night and they are not electrical switches. They have hoses hooked up to them and look like plumbing valves. The hoses run in a bundle (all four) up the pass through to the Flybridge. The hoses are about 5/8" in size and have metal fittings on them like hydraulics. Next step is to trace them up at the Flybridge. Autopilot controls are all electrical so it doesn't seem to have to do with that. Maybe some old system that has been removed but the hoses and valves were left in place.

They are conversation starters and clearly 100% functional.

The air horn is engaged electrically with a solenoid under the flybridge. I'll try to trace the tubing under the flybridge next and see where it leads to. I really though this was some kind of pretty typical yacht fitting that I just didn't know about, but it seems to be a good mystery.

This is not a mystery. They are pressure activated valves. The bottom one washes the port windshield. The top one washes the center and starboard windows. This was a very common option on the uniflite 42, especially the sedans as they were a favorite for high speed runs out to the tunagrounds.

Windshield washers. The valves are stuck so I'm unable to try them, but they must have some great flow with garden hose size connections!

"Windshield washers. The valves are stuck so I'm unable to try them, but they must have some great flow with garden hose size connections!"

I hope so, even a minor salt deposit on windscreen or wiper blade will scratch the glass.

Check for nozzles aimed down at your windhield from below the flybridge overhang. These devives might be for spraying clean fresh water on to your salt water smeared windshields in snotty weather.....if so they are foot operated valves. How many windshields are there?. Do the hoses go to a freshwater source? Is there an interlock blocking accidental activation?.....good luck

I looked at them in more detail last night and they are not electrical switches. They have hoses hooked up to them and look like plumbing valves. The hoses run in a bundle (all four) up the pass through to the Flybridge. The hoses are about 5/8" in size and have metal fittings on them like hydraulics. Next step is to trace them up at the Flybridge. Autopilot controls are all electrical so it doesn't seem to have to do with that. Maybe some old system that has been removed but the hoses and valves were left in place.

Betcha a dollar they end up at nozzles pointed toward the lower station windshield.

Yes, the mystery was solved. Several people suggested they were windshield washers and the hoses do indeed go up above the windows and there are full length copper spray bars up there. Not sure where the water comes from, but it definitely is for the windshield washer system.

Back
Top Bottom