Monk 36 Boom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvermeer

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Brigus
Vessel Make
Monk 36
Has anyone found a practical use for the boom on a Monk 36? Or any other trawler for that matter? Skiff is mounted on the transom.

if your boom is long enough, you can effect a MOB.

Be sure to practice in calm waters.

Put a trap over it for a sunscreen or rain. If it's a strong boom and mast, mount an electric winch and mount the dingy under the boom. To launch or recover, rotate the boom 90° and engage the winch.

thanks for those. think i’ll just remove it. Living on Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands), the sun is something we don’t hide from ����

I've used mine for installing and removing the outboard from the dinghy. But usually I just manhandle the motor up or down. I'm seriously thinking about removing the boom, although it looks pretty "salty" when it's rigged at about a 45-degree angle.

If I ever get to the point of adding a solar Bimini over the aft deck it'll be removed for sure. I suspect the main reason for the boom is to appeal to the original target demographic for "trawler" type boats - former sailors.

It does make the boat look “pretty”, but the amount of time my head has made contact with it may indicate that looks aren’t everything lol, and once the post that holds the boom up is removed, it’s a perfect spot for a fish cleaning tray (with a bit of engineering to incorporate a offal pipe that either leads overboard or to a pale)

My wife uses it as a clothesline.

I got rid of mine but the P.O. said he used to hang a hammock from it.

pete

We removed the boom on our Monk 36. We keep the dinghy on a davit, so we have use of the "upper aft deck."

Back
Top Bottom