Minn Kota trim tabs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shufti

Vessel Name
Wine Down
Vessel Make
Riviera 35' FB
Hi all,

Have a set of Minn Kota trim tabs (came with the boat) - one of which has ceased to function. On removing the dodgy actuator, I can hear some sort of fluid slosh around inside. Not having installed them, I'm not sure if this fluid is a very light oil meant to be inside or (most likely I fear) salt water. I assume it must be water - but as there is no presence of fluid leaking out of the actuator I thought I'd ask if this is normal (i havn't removed the working one).

Also - I've just discoverd that MK no longer make their tabs. Brilliant. Anyone got any inside info on why they stopped production? No sales or plagued with problems such as mine? Just interested is all.

If it is cactus - can I install a set of Lenco actuators using the existing MK rocker switch/wiring?

Any and all suggestions would be welcome.

shufti,
It's hard for me to imagine a Minn Kota producing enough power to change the "trim" of a boat so installing a "trim" tab would seem rather pointless. I suspect that has all to do w their demise.

I admit it's late here and I've had a few. I have absolutely no idea what your post means, manyboats. But thanks for replying. Hopefully it will make sense in the cold hard light of a sober morning.

Cheers!

Recommend you trash can the entire thing and install a set of Bennett's. For a boat that lives in the water no other brand will give you the reliability of Bennett.

My $0.02 :thumb:

I assume riviera 35 FB is similar to a sportfish type boat? If so I understand you trim tab issue as that is very common.

I would think you shouldn't hear any sloshing.....is the system hydraulic or electric actuation?

If not working...I say bite the bullet and install a Bennett system or I think Lenco makes a decent set of electric tabs.

Have had lencos on most of my CC's great tabs.

psneeld - yes Riviera is similar style to the sportfish. The MK's are electric not hydraulic.

Looking into lenco tabs/actuators now.

Recommend you trash can the entire thing and install a set of Bennett's. For a boat that lives in the water no other brand will give you the reliability of Bennett.

My $0.02 :thumb:

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok. On reflection this evening (after a day of over-the-phone blank stares from minn kota and lenco dealers when asked about fitting L actuators to a MK control system) - I think I concur with the 'out with the old system, in with a new' philosophy.

To me - it seems both Lenco and Bennets are well regarded brands. The Lenco system appeals due to it's similarity to the MK sytem - ie without the need for a hydraulic pump.

May I ask - it sems that [at least in this thread] their seems to be a majority recomending Bennets. MAy I ask why those recomending Bennets are so passionate (it seems) about the Bennets. Is it more than 'never let me down' - is there a known history of Lenco failures that you guys know about etc?

Thanks.

In my humble opinion the Bennett system is more reliable and easier to service, especially for a vessel that stays in the water. The Bennett actuator has only 1 moving part, the ram, and the seal is on the piston, not at the bottom of the actuator so growth does not impact seals. Most problems that one may encounter with a Bennett system will be electrical in nature, switch or pump related, and repairable inside the boat. I've cut the chicken poo pump connector off and replaced with real connectors for instance, because I kept having to mess with the damn thing.

Lenco systems are simpler in that they have fewer components, but their electric actuators are underwater and would probably require a haul to replace if they were to fail.

I have personally had Bennett Systems that came on a used boat (see my avatar) that were a decade old, and still work a decade later. I did replace the switches.

I have never owned a Lenco system, and electric component below the waterline on a trailer boat might be fine, but on a boat that stays in the water...

:thumb:

Also Bennett is known for its great customer support. If you have a problem, they're just a phone call away. They've been great with my Bennetts. When I needed a replacement reservoir top, they just sent it to me for free...no questions and no hassle.

After speaking to a few people today down at the port (and listening to whats been said here), I've decided to go with the Bennets tabs. My main reasoning for the about-face on the lencos is the positive refernces for Bennets after-sales support. Talked to my boat guy and the install is only going to be 21/2 - 3 hrs of labour (he;s done loads of them before).

Thanks once agian all for the input and advise.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom