Old 01-10-2019, 11:09 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
I wish I would have gone this direction last summer instead of going back with another roof top.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #22

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Rose Mary
Vessel Model: 42 Grand Banks Motoryacht - 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Westiculo, that's really nice. Why do you have the vents covered with plastic? Did you eventually place some screened trim pieces or louvered in there?
Thanks!
The vents above the windshield are covered because we're partially shrink-wrapped right now for the winter (just the flybridge and aft deck). We have a diesel heater, so don't use the mini split much in the winter. Because it's so high, the heat sticks near the ceiling from the unit, it works much better for A/C.

There are aluminum louvered vents you can kind-of see behind the plastic. I can't figure out where I got them from, but they are pretty nice. Came painted white, the louvers can move around if you want (unnecessary).
Westiculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #23

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Quote:
Quick search just pulled up this example: 12 kbtu, 8.4 amp, SEER 25. The startup draw isn't listed (locked rotor) but it is not going to be 6X like with a typical motor. My digital inverter refrigerator had a 1X startup draw because it ramped up to speed and was variable speed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-000-BTU-...-/352441317369
230v..

115v will have a much lower seer rating.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:58 AM   #24
FF
Guru

These are probably one shot deals. Tech is changing so do not expect repair parts ever to be available.

The local air cond folks claim its the same deal with name brands like Mitsubishi or Panasonic .

For simple R&R perhaps the pre charged with freon version should be investigated.

Most folks do not have a vacuum pump or gauges, if needed for the install..
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:23 AM   #25

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Rose Mary
Vessel Model: 42 Grand Banks Motoryacht - 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
These are probably one shot deals. Tech is changing so do not expect repair parts ever to be available.

The local air cond folks claim its the same deal with name brands like Mitsubishi or Panasonic .

For simple R&R perhaps the pre charged with freon version should be investigated.

Most folks do not have a vacuum pump or gauges, if needed for the install..
For the price, repair parts are totally unnecessary.

I had the precharged version but kept having leaks at the flare fittings. Ultimately I had to go with the solder method where you tin both mating surfaces and heat it with a torch as you tighten the nut down. No chance for leaks now!

I bought the cheap vacuum pump and gauges from eBay to do the install (about 100 bucks together). I think they're made mostly for automotive, but they worked just fine for this. Because it was leaking I did have to buy a small cartridge of refrigerant as well (also from eBay, about 60 bucks).
Westiculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:47 AM   #26
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
There is another way to go and get a better interior look .. if you have the space. Mitsubishi (and others) make a ducted air handler for the mini split units that is not too big and could be hidden, probably not feasible in a under 50' boat though. This would get read of the less than pleasant interior head unit. Keep in mind the units can loose efficiency if stuffed in too small of space without adequate air circulation.

There is not a ducted ac/heat system that can match the mini split in a cost vs efficiency standpoint in the housing industry.

I would consider one if it could sit on the flybridge and not stand out too much. There was a N46 for sale a few years age in Thailand that had twin mini split condensers up on the cabin roof that were pretty hidden. I can imagine the system worked pretty well in that configuration.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:51 AM   #27
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Love the thought of putting in a mini split.

Keep the comments coming, and you guys that have them, post the make and model.

Did some searching and there's a lot out there, but mostly in the $800 to $1200 range.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #28
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
After following this thread from its inception, I have a few comments about Chinese mini split copies of LG or Samsung products:

I have had reasonably good luck with Chinese stuff as long as it is simple. But anything complex, either electrically or mechanically would be suspect to me. I have had some mechanical failures and lots of electrical failures of Chinese stuff.

Also the reported SEER of 25 for a unit that pulls 8.5 amps for 12,000 btu/hr just doesn't add up for me. An 8.5 amp draw usually means a SEER of 12. A SEER of much greater than 20 is really hard to obtain. Was that a mistake or intentionally incorrect to mislead us? Don't know, but it sure makes me leery.

FWIW a Bosch 9,000 btu/hr 115V mini split unit costs about $950 at home depot and has a SEER of 21. I would buy that before a Chinese made one at $500-600. Yes the Bosch unit is probably made in China, but Bosch designed it, specifies the materials and workmanship and manages the quality.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:46 PM   #29

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
After following this thread from its inception, I have a few comments about Chinese mini split copies of LG or Samsung products:

I have had reasonably good luck with Chinese stuff as long as it is simple. But anything complex, either electrically or mechanically would be suspect to me. I have had some mechanical failures and lots of electrical failures of Chinese stuff.

Also the reported SEER of 25 for a unit that pulls 8.5 amps for 12,000 btu/hr just doesn't add up for me. An 8.5 amp draw usually means a SEER of 12. A SEER of much greater than 20 is really hard to obtain. Was that a mistake or intentionally incorrect to mislead us? Don't know, but it sure makes me leery.

FWIW a Bosch 9,000 btu/hr 115V mini split unit costs about $950 at home depot and has a SEER of 21. I would buy that before a Chinese made one at $500-600. Yes the Bosch unit is probably made in China, but Bosch designed it, specifies the materials and workmanship and manages the quality.

David
I didn't intend to mislead anyone and the unit i'm looking at is a seer 15 I believe I certainly didn't post a Seer 25 nor do i think it's even possible to have a 115v with a SEER number that high.

A unit was posted by another member who saw a high seer number and linked the unit not knowing it was 230v vs 115v.

These cheap $500 units are generally Seer 13-15. My rooftop coleman would be considered about half that(pulls alot of amps for 15kbtu) so in my case an improvement either way.

I don't generally run my AC when i'm not on the boat and don't live aboard.. Seer numbers aren't much of a concern to me(my genset would run it and the rest of the boat no problem/shore power). I also wouldn't bother with a 9000 btu unit over 12,000btu.

FWIW home depot sells a Chinese unit 12k btu, $699, seer 17.9.. The highest i've seen for a 12,000 BTU 115v unit is SEER 18. The units that are a higher SEER number are 230v.. Even the $1,500 Samsung units are SEER 17.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Quick search just pulled up this example: 12 kbtu, 8.4 amp, SEER 25. The startup draw isn't listed (locked rotor) but it is not going to be 6X like with a typical motor. My digital inverter refrigerator had a 1X startup draw because it ramped up to speed and was variable speed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-000-BTU-...-/352441317369
That is a 220 volt unit.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:49 PM   #31

City: Elgin
Vessel Name: m/v "Ramble On"
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 34
Mini Splits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwesson View Post
I didn't intend to mislead anyone and the unit i'm looking at is a seer 15 I believe I certainly didn't post a Seer 25 nor do i think it's even possible to have a 115v with a SEER number that high.

A unit was posted by another member who saw a high seer number and linked the unit not knowing it was 230v vs 115v.

These cheap $500 units are generally Seer 13-15. My rooftop coleman would be considered about half that(pulls alot of amps for 15kbtu) so in my case an improvement either way.

I don't generally run my AC when i'm not on the boat and don't live aboard.. Seer numbers aren't much of a concern to me(my genset would run it and the rest of the boat no problem/shore power). I also wouldn't bother with a 9000 btu unit over 12,000btu.

FWIW home depot sells a Chinese unit 12k btu, $699, seer 17.9.. The highest i've seen for a 12,000 BTU 115v unit is SEER 18. The units that are a higher SEER number are 230v.. Even the $1,500 Samsung units are SEER 17.
I have a lot of experience with these. For decades they have been the AC of choice in Mexico.
I have 24 of them at my hotel and restaurant, all LG units in the 18 SEER range and are more than 10 years old.
My home has 6 Mitsubishi units and are as high as 28 SEER ratings. The Mitsubishi's are the best by far, seven years parts and labor warranty.
Just thought I would share that. They can capture heat down as low as 3 degrees F. SUPER quiet and inexpensive to run.
Captain DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:41 PM   #32

City: stuart
I am getting ready for my 3rd mini split in the apartment and what is nice about them is I use the same refrige lines that were built in the walls 15 years ago and the condensate line gets inserted into a pvc pipe going to the sink drain. looking for a good 18,000 btuh with a high seer and hope not to spend over 1k.
silentfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #33
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain DJ View Post
I have a lot of experience with these. For decades they have been the AC of choice in Mexico.

I have 24 of them at my hotel and restaurant, all LG units in the 18 SEER range and are more than 10 years old.

My home has 6 Mitsubishi units and are as high as 28 SEER ratings. The Mitsubishi's are the best by far, seven years parts and labor warranty.

Just thought I would share that. They can capture heat down as low as 3 degrees F. SUPER quiet and inexpensive to run.

Do you own a hotel in Mexico? Just wondering.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:16 PM   #34
Guru

City: Seattle
Gree (Chinese appliance manufacturer) Sapphire brand of mini-splits (air cooled) have efficiencies as high as SEER 38. Compared to a typical marine packaged a/c unit (water cooled), you're looking at 6A draw versus 8A (with water pump). Also they state will provide heat (heat pump) down to 22 degrees F below zero.
https://www.greecomfort.com/wp-conte...081318_Web.pdf
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:30 AM   #35
FF
Guru

"We did a fair amount of insulating because we're in Boston. Pink foam in all the ceilings and behind all the wall planks."

Sometimes the insulation will hide moisture , pull down a section and take a look on a very cold day.Water or Ice is much ungood if the overhead is plywood.

The RV folks use the blue insulation as it will drain better.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:16 AM   #36
Veteran Member

City: New Bern, NC
Vessel Name: Finale
Vessel Model: Rosborough RF246 Custom Pilothouse 2000
Just my two cents, I have 3 mini splits in my Lustron all metal house and love them. The only down side in my opinion if they fail not many know how to repair them and not a lot of replaceable parts available. But at what they sell for (cheaper ones), just replace whole unit. I bought mine at www.airconditioner.com lots of choices.
newbernbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 04:39 AM   #37

City: Elgin
Vessel Name: m/v "Ramble On"
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Do you own a hotel in Mexico? Just wondering.
Yes, so sorry to be slow on the reply.

My hotel is in Banamichi, Sonora and has the name La Posada del Rio Sonora
at www.MexicoEcoResort.com .

Thanks
Captain DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:49 AM   #38
FF
Guru

It is my belief the mini-split system will replace the ancient water cooled air cond now stuck in many new builds.

Far lower cost, purchase , install and operate plus like rooftops a modest 10 or 15 year service life with a simple R&R will allow the next step up at perhaps even lower cost.

The green gang will love the lower power consumption when used as heaters.
Old 12-29-2021, 12:37 AM   #39
Guru

City: Reno, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
There is another way to go and get a better interior look .. if you have the space. Mitsubishi (and others) make a ducted air handler for the mini split units that is not too big and could be hidden, probably not feasible in a under 50' boat though. This would get read of the less than pleasant interior head unit. Keep in mind the units can loose efficiency if stuffed in too small of space without adequate air circulation.[…]

HOLLYWOOD
Just looked at this. 12k up to 36k BTU, up to 18 SEER. Can be installed on its side or vertically, with dimensions of 17x22x40 inches for the 12k BTU. For ducted on a larger boat I’m thinking you’d need more than that, the largest at 36k BTU is about 21x22x40 inches. All are 220V though. They also can be fitted with an optional electric heating kit like the wall or floor mounts. Very intriguing, though with the total system you are looking north of $5k for the 36k BTU or about $2,500 for 12k BTU, with the heat pump unit and associated parts and controls.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote