Mermaid Manufacturing shut down!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slowgoesit

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Muirgen
Vessel Make
50' Beebe Passagemaker
Just a warning to people out there who are HVAC shopping!
Mermaid Manufacturing, in Ft Meyers Florida, maker of marine HVAC units and associated equipment has shut it's doors with absolutely NO warning!
It has been related to me that on approximately 21 October, 2022, Mermaid Manufacturing owner Bill Banfield, with absolutely no warning, fired all his employees, and closed the doors of the business.
I recently ordered two HVAC reverse cycle units from them, receiving exemplary service from their sales department during numerous contact, phone, and e-mail. Their sales department was excellent. I received a partial order from Mermaid on 17 October, and attempted to contact Mermaid regarding the rest of my order on or about 24 October, and numerous times since. News of the closure came as a shock to Mermaid employees, who have related that there was absolutely NO WARNING of the impending closure. Their offices and warehousing facilities were only slightly affected by Hurricane Ian to the extent of power and service outages. They were back up and running within a short time of the hurricane, so that doesn't seem to be the justification for the closure.

So here I am, having spend a LOT of time researching different brands, warranty's, and customer support, then settling on Mermaid Manufacturing for our HVAC upgrades . . . .
I'm out almost 5 "boat units" and don't have the parts to get my units up and running. I'm currently trying to source the remaining parts, which, if found, I will have pay for AGAIN. I have taken steps to try and recover my $$$, but I'm not too hopeful . . . Needless to say, not a happy customer.

That is too bad. I met the owner at a Miami boat show some years ago. I really liked their product and installed them in multiple boats. I always had excellent customer service from them, but I guess no longer. Sorry for your problems.

If it is on a credit card reverse charges. You will probably get your parts then.

If it is on a credit card reverse charges. You will probably get your parts then.

It WAS on a credit card, and I've already disputed the charge. I don't know exactly how it works, but it the company is insolvent, and accounts drained, I'm not sure the credit card company can get the money back . . . :nonono:

I would think that the credit card company would still make good. They may have some insurance or a pool of money to cover situations like this.

If it's a top drawer product, I'd be surprised if someone doesn't pick up the pieces and get it going again. However, it probably would have been a lot easier to sell or even give away the company earlier.

Would suspect there's a story... huge debt, family problems, whatever.

Is the closure hurricane related?

I see from a post on Cruisers Forum (HERE) that Mermaid is up and running again with a name change to Freedom Medical and Marine Solutions. Also a separate post direct from their Director of Operations (HERE):

"We are BACK after hurricane Ian with new owners, same staff and same great products of Marine A/C units, dehumidifiers, install kits, water pumps and condensator kits! We are so excited and happy to be back!"

Interesting implication that hurricane Ian was to blame - Slowgoesit - did you ever get your money back? If so, from Mermaid or Credit Card dispute?

Peter

I see from a post on Cruisers Forum (HERE) that Mermaid is up and running again with a name change to Freedom Medical and Marine Solutions. Also a separate post direct from their Director of Operations (HERE):
"We are BACK after hurricane Ian with new owners, same staff and same great products of Marine A/C units, dehumidifiers, install kits, water pumps and condensator kits! We are so excited and happy to be back!"
Interesting implication that hurricane Ian was to blame - Slowgoesit - did you ever get your money back? If so, from Mermaid or Credit Card dispute?

Peter

Mermaid Manufacturing never responded to the dispute, so the Credit Card Company came through for me, out of their own resources, none of it reimbursed by the old company, which apparently was insolvent. I now have both units up and running, although I had to have one of them repaired before I could use it, and I had to research, source and pay (again) for the parts that had been back ordered, but not yet sent at the time of closing.

I wish Steve Xikes, his staff, and the new company Freedom Medical and Marine Solutions the best of luck going forward. Steve Xikes is a stand up guy. The old owner, not so much IMHO:mad:.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom