Mattresses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, I am a few years away from a trawler, but purchased an express that lets me cruise on weekends (upgraded from my dayboat). I have a v-berth plus a aft queen berth, with a custom mattress due to configuration. I want to purchase new mattresses at a reasonable price. Has anyone used "MattressInsider.com"? Apparently do a lot of RVs, plus boats. 4-8 week lead time, so reasonable for the northeast season.
Thanks in advance.
Ryan

Mattresses on boats don't last for a long time, mildew seems to find a way to creep in since the climate is damp. For me, I wouldn't invest a lot of money in a mattress expecting to get a long life out of it. I bought economy memory foam topped 8" foam mattresses, and cut them to shape with an Accu-Cutter and had the covers sewn back on.

My forward berth has an offset, so it took a queen to get the full mattress cut down to roughly the size of a full due to angles. Think $200-$400 vs custom constructed, just my thoughts on it.

Go with one of the mail order foam mattresses which come "deflated" in a box, usually free delivery. Can be bought for a couple hundred dollars. Cut to exact size with an electric knife.

No Question the easiest, cheapest way to go.

pete

Welcome aboard. We bought a memory foam mattress from Amazon. Then added a 2” memory foam topper. It is the most comfortable mattress we have slept on.

I too suggest the purchase and use of a memory foam mattress topper.
Our original V berth cushions were thin and were breaking down so there was no cushioning for me on the plywood.
The memory foam fixed that and we carried on for another 10 years.
That memory foam turned the bed into a comfortable bed.
I cannot remember now if the memory foam was 2" or 3". I think 3" from Costco.

At least look into it.

Go with one of the mail order foam mattresses which come "deflated" in a box, usually free delivery. Can be bought for a couple hundred dollars. Cut to exact size with an electric knife.

No Question the easiest, cheapest way to go.

pete

Are these strong enough to hold up to being used as lounge seat toppers?

It depends on who made it. I did my seat cushions which convert to a bunk with one, it is fairly dense flat topped with 2" of memory foam. I cut a full sized mattress into three pieces, two seat cushions and one filler for bunk conversion (top of table). I cut the queen size foam cushion to fit the port bow side bed, which has a curve to fit the hull.

It was an immediate improvement over the old mattress, and the mattress cover was able to be cut down and used for the modified cushion, zipper and all ($100 in labor).

The memory foam top is softer, so the fit on the covers has to be fit tighter if your are sewing them or having them sewn, or cut the cushions a little more full if you are using the existing cushions.

Short answer is yes!

I cut up an old memory foam mattress and used the foam for seat cushion padding. Not the best choice, you want something more firm for sitting.

pete

All memory foam wouldn't be a good choice for seat cushions, but the stuff that is only topped with it is both firm and comfortable. Most of the vacuum packed economy memory foam mattresses are only topped with memory foam, the rest is "other".

For seat cushions I like to use a very firm foam on the bottom and put a softer foam on top of it. That way after a while you don’t hit the platform under the cushion. It is a bit more work but it is way more comfortable. I use a 3M contact cement in a spray can to glue the different foams together.

Back
Top Bottom