Old 03-30-2020, 04:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Star Weird
Vessel Model: Camargue
Marine Air Systems Controller upgrade

Good afternoon TF!
I am looking at changing out (at a minimum) the old 3-knob style ac/heat controllers I have (Bow/Aft) to something more modern. I was hoping to go digital as well as have wifi option as well.
I have the old Marine Air Systems units (C16H & CSM12k). The compressors both appear to go to a single control board (box, pictured below) then branch out to the individual controllers by the staterooms.

So, my question(s) are:
1. has anyone updated their old Marine Air Systems controls?
2. what did you use to do it?
3. if I get these controllers now, are they forward compatible w/ new "all-in-one" units?

Any info, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the link to the FX2 unit I was looking at.

https://www.coastalclimatecontrol.co...=0&sort=normal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	both compressors.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	100942   Click image for larger version

Name:	MAS 3 knob controller.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	100943   Click image for larger version

Name:	MAS control board.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	100944  

Scottwb96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:58 PM   #2
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Following

FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hey Fox, you have a similar setup?
Old 03-30-2020, 05:05 PM   #4
Guru

Two 16k exactly like yours.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Have you found anything that is basically plug-n-play? Also, do you have a single control board? that handles both your units? Curious if mine handles both or if I am just not finding a second control box hidden somewhere. Wondering if I can just get one FX-2 control kit and then add a secondary control/touch panel...
Old 03-30-2020, 05:17 PM   #6
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Based upon my experience, for best results, call a tech.
That way, if it doesn't work, you can blame it on them.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:49 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwb96 View Post
Have you found anything that is basically plug-n-play? Also, do you have a single control board? that handles both your units? Curious if mine handles both or if I am just not finding a second control box hidden somewhere. Wondering if I can just get one FX-2 control kit and then add a secondary control/touch panel...
Yep we have a single control board just like yours - runs both units. Last fall I thought my a/c water pump died - ordered a new one and installed it and still did not run. Called in the cavalry - found a tiny fuse in that control box that had blown . Now I have a spare a/c pump. Have not found anything to replace the three knob thermostat.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

thanks for the info, was really hoping there wasn't another hidden somewhere on the boat.
HOPEFULLY that means I can just buy ONE controller box and 2 remote panels. Seems to be a few options out there for upgrading to at least a "digital" style control panel instead of the "know-style". But I'd really like it to be wifi enabled as well. Visibility of the boat conditions while away would definitely be nice.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

FYI, I also messaged Coastal Climate Control earlier today, but missed them since they are 3 hours ahead. I'll definitely let you know if/what they reply with.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:31 PM   #10
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Hey Scott. Is Beach Music next door still afloat? I'm still suffering from vertigo and haven't been able to get down to the marina for two weeks now. Tim
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It is... I was just there yesterday. Prob be down there again in the next couple of days if you want me to check your lines or anything else...
Old 03-30-2020, 07:01 PM   #12
Guru

Thanks Scott. I had Doug check the lines a few days ago. Hope to be down there again before too long. Tim
Old 03-30-2020, 07:10 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
Hey I'm still suffering from vertigo and haven't been able to get down to the marina for two weeks now. Tim
If you go to rehab, they will give you exercises involving standing first one leg and then the other, while holding on to something. Every now and then, I have to do these exercises until I can stand on one leg and then the other... If I can stand on a leg for 5 sec w/o holding on, it's a pretty good start.
I am assuming you have visited an ENT also.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:04 PM   #14
Guru

Thanks OldDan. I got this just as the shelter in place was taking effect. I have had it once before, but it only lasted two days. It's now been almost two weeks. I have done a telemedicine conference with my doctor. Medicines don't seem to help. The Epley maneuver hasn't helped either. My doctor suggested physical therapy, but right now I don't want to take a chance going out. I live in King County, Wa., one of the hardest hit areas. I'll live with it for while longer. My wife is taking good care of me.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:12 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
Thanks OldDan. I got this just as the shelter in place was taking effect. I have had it once before, but it only lasted two days. It's now been almost two weeks. I have done a telemedicine conference with my doctor. Medicines don't seem to help. The Epley maneuver hasn't helped either. My doctor suggested physical therapy, but right now I don't want to take a chance going out. I live in King County, Wa., one of the hardest hit areas. I'll live with it for while longer. My wife is taking good care of me.
I wish you well. Try the exercises and maybe it will improve. I discovered when I was onboard I had less trouble standing on one leg. LOL I think the subtle movement of the boat has retrained our inner ear... you know sea legs.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Jersey Shore
Vessel Name: Slow Mo
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Old Dan is spot on, my wife has vertigo also, only thing that worked for her is PT. I do understand that most PT c enters are closed in these trying times, at least in NJ they are.

Feel better porman....
ImaBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:58 PM   #17

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Beluga
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46eu 2006 hull#289
I installed EasyTouch from Microair with good success.

See https://www.microair.net/products/ea...nt=29192045643

Hamish.
BrisHamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:46 AM   #18
Veteran Member

City: San Antonio
Vessel Name: Betsy Lee
Vessel Model: 37 Atlantic Double Cabin
I exchanged our two Marine Air knob controllers with the FX 1 digital controller a couple of years ago and it was an easy switch and very happy with the result. Also using the remote temp sensor in each unit and working well.

One of the units controls a single compressor with two air handlers (primary rear cabin / slave in front cabin) and works just fine. I left the knob controller in the front cabin and they are only temp and speed.

Coastal Climate Control tech support was great to work with too.
KneeDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member

ME:
Question or Comment: I have 2 older Marine Air Systems Heat/AC units. Models C16H and CSM12K. I was wondering if the FX-2 kit would be compatible with my units. I "think" both of them go back to a single motherboard then split off to each 3-knob controller.
1. are the units compatible
2. do i need 2 control units or just one "brain" and 2 separate control panels?
3. are these forward compatible, meaning, can I use these on the newer "all-in-one units"?

Any additional suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated.

RESPONSE:
Hi Scott, and thank you for your inquiry.

The FX2 will indeed work with your older Marine Air units, but for your systems the FX1 would be more appropriate. The FX1 has all the features of the FX2 other than some add-on capability which wouldn't be suitable for your systems. We have a specific wiring guide for Marine Air in the FX1 Manual, and it is the easiest manufacturer to convert.

In simple terms, you will need to cut the cable to each existing three-knob control and divert those wires into the FX1 Power Module. The Power Module gets hidden away somewhere, as long it is located where the cable from the old control can be diverted into it. We will tell you what color wire goes where, and you won't to have any knowledge as to what wire does what. You will not have to access any wiring on the actual air cond units. The plug-in Display cable is run from the Power Module to wherever the FX1 Display is mounted. You will need one complete kit for each system.

Your last photo shows a Pump Relay, which switches on the water pump when either unit's compressor is running. This will remain unchanged.

FX1 controls will work with any air conditioning system, and as long as you can provide a schematic diagram we can advise on wiring.

I trust that this answers your questions sufficiently, but please don't hesitate to get back to us for more information or if you are ready to place an order.

Regards,
Coastal Info

ME:
Good morning and thank you for the quick reply and detailed info. Thanks for letting me know about the FX1 vs FX2. Going forward if I were to upgrade my heat/AC with something like the unit in the link below, would it be more appropriate to have the FX2? Also, I thought that I read the FX1 does NOT support WiFi only the FX2?

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1&id=3050622

RESPONSE:
Originally, the FX-1 did not support Wi-Fi, but the current generation FX-1 does.

If you were to buy the unit you refer to, you'd probably be better off using the FX-1 control on it. However, you'd be much better off buying a MarinAire unit. This is much better unit, at a very good price, and comes with a very good control plus remote. You can also purchase a third-party Wi-Fi device for the MarinAire units, if that is a priority. https://www.coastalclimatecontrol.co...ditioning.html

Keep in mind that both the MarinAire and the Defender models are Compact or Self Contained models, with everything on one base pan. Your existing systems are Split units, with the compressor in one place and the blowers remotely located, so they will not be drop-in replacements.

Regards,
Coastal Info
Old 03-31-2020, 04:35 PM   #20
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I have the same system as you Scott. Last year I had to replace the 12BTU unit. I found out that Dometic bought out Marine Air Systems. Try giving them a call.

Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote