Old 01-28-2023, 05:17 PM   #1
Guru

City: Port Townsend and La Paz
Vessel Name: Domino and Libra
Vessel Model: Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
The Magnus effect

I thought I would take moment and introduce an ongoing thread here for an upcoming project.

LIBRA will be headed to the shed in Port Angeles in March for, among other things, the fitting of a pair of Magnus Rotors for roll dampening.

The equipment has been purchased from DMS Holland and the work will be performed by Platypus Marine. This may be the first US installation of this equipment.

Any comments or advice from forum members with experience with this equipment will be appreciated.

I will supply photographic support of our project as it proceeds. Now that I have committed to this project and accepted that it is senseless and risky, I am pretty jazzed to get going.
Old 01-28-2023, 05:51 PM   #2
Guru

City: Los Angeles
Yours may be far from the first Magnus system in the US, though.
https://quantumstabilizers.com/produ...p-stabilizers/
Old 01-28-2023, 06:42 PM   #3
Guru

City: Vermont
Is this for Domino? I didn't think stabilizers work on multi hulls? To counter roll, you basically have to lift or sink the opposing hull. With a mono hull, all it needs to do is roll the hull. Is DMS saying this is good for a multi hull?
Old 01-28-2023, 07:30 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Is this for Domino? I didn't think stabilizers work on multi hulls? To counter roll, you basically have to lift or sink the opposing hull. With a mono hull, all it needs to do is roll the hull. Is DMS saying this is good for a multi hull?
No, no, no! This is for LIBRA. DOMINO and the comfort of her cruise is likely the reason we finally committed to this move on the heavy slow boat. Now we are spoiled.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:51 PM   #5
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by klee wyck View Post
No, no, no! This is for LIBRA. DOMINO and the comfort of her cruise is likely the reason we finally committed to this move on the heavy slow boat. Now we are spoiled.

Got it, thanks. Makes sense now.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:59 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Got it, thanks. Makes sense now.
Libra is quite heavily ballasted so has a pretty nice motion that I sort of enjoy.
But, one day this past Summer we were crossing the Strait of Juan de Fuca with my daughter and grandson aboard. After a particularly sporty section, she, with him in her arms, asked "can you make this stop?".
I thought to myself later, I think I can, actually.
So here we are.
Old 01-28-2023, 11:32 PM   #7
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
I had them quote but it is far too big a system for my boat. The wanted to come and do all the work themselves, but they would agree to only sending a technician at commissioning time. I'd personally want to be there for all the work, because you will need to know everything about it eventually.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 11:01 AM   #8
Guru

The equipment for the DMS Holland stabilizer installs arrived in the US this week. We moved LIBRA up to Port Angeles on Thursday and hauled her into the Platypus yard on Friday.
For those of you in the region, you might note the condition of the bottom after two+ years in salt water and having never seen a diver during that period. Virtually zero growth on the hull. The paint was Seahawk Bio-cop.
The Propspeed was three years old and beginning to fail but still functioning reasonably well.
Attached Thumbnails
image (8).jpg   20230324_102156.jpg   20230324_102623.jpg  
Old 03-25-2023, 11:08 AM   #9

City: Comox
Vessel Model: 1989 Wellington 57 motorsailer
Do those also work at anchor? I think I read somewhere that they do.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 01:15 PM   #10
Guru

No effect at anchor for the rotors.
Due to flow requirements over the rotors, they are effective over the range of 3-12 knots. They are actually set up to park themselves parallel to the hull at speed outside of that range.
Mine will park nestled right up alongside the bilge keels and should be protected from strikes in that position.
Old 03-25-2023, 01:49 PM   #11
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
If comparing Magnus to fins to gyros (Magnus master, Humprees, SeaKeeper) what are the +/- s is your view?
Electric draw, service requirements, expense, ease of use, risk of use etc. Think you’re a thoughtful person so did your due diligence so respect your decision matrix.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 02:16 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
If comparing Magnus to fins to gyros (Magnus master, Humprees, SeaKeeper) what are the +/- s is your view?
Electric draw, service requirements, expense, ease of use, risk of use etc. Think you’re a thoughtful person so did your due diligence so respect your decision matrix.
Everything is a compromise and many things on a boat are more personal than clear cut, of course.

The reasons that rotors came out on top for include:
Ease of installation in a retrofit
Low power consumption. (1000W of AC power per rotor (two in this case) allows the system to run via inverter and alternator can keep up without a need to run the generator while cruising.)
Power efficiency. (Predicted 70+ roll reduction on a 136000# boat on 2000 watts)
Low profile/low drag and retractable. (Libra is already slow I would like to avoid making her much slower)
Instant on and instant off with no physical input.
Electric rather than hydraulic is preferable for my situation even though I have high flow, high pressure hydraulics already available on LIBRA.

And finally, I am genuinely curious about how this low power application can effectively reduce the effect of the sea on a boat this heavy. There are quite a few of these in operation, especially in Europe. The videos and testimonials are pretty impressive. The whole idea makes sense to me and I really want to see it in action. Libra is heavy and heavily ballasted. She already does pretty well in terms of roll in most conditions. Crossing the Strait in front of my house with beam seas is often not pleasant though, with wind and current often in opposition and this should open up more days and more hours for that common route with guests aboard.

Nobody in their right mind would stick this kind of money in this boat, but I am looking forward to this just the same.
Old 03-25-2023, 02:44 PM   #13
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
So I'll ask the question.
Why these compared to batwings seeing as they both stick out the side of the boat.

Batwings don't require power to operate and do work quite well at anchor.
Old 03-25-2023, 03:06 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
So I'll ask the question.
Why these compared to batwings seeing as they both stick out the side of the boat.

Batwings don't require power to operate and do work quite well at anchor.
Hopefully the photos will provide my answer. Batwings never made my list for serious consideration. Different strokes and all. I guess 'stick out' is a pretty broad terms for some folks.
Attached Thumbnails
Batwing.jpg   parked rotor.jpg  
Old 03-25-2023, 03:33 PM   #15
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Yes, "cosmetically" one is prettier than the other but that wasn't what I was getting at.
Old 03-25-2023, 03:40 PM   #16
Guru

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
I didn’t know about this style of stabilization. Very interesting. I looked at the quantum version and it looks like they work at anchor by swinging the rotors fore and aft, not spinning as when underway.
Bmarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 04:49 PM   #17
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Currently have gyro. This made sense for us in our current coastal skinny water world but really liked Magnus. Couldn’t find a single boat on the market to check it out in the real world so moved on. However if I ever get the opportunity to build another boat think it has many pluses. Would be curious if you would be kind enough to post what impact it has on boat speed and fuel consumption as you gain more travel time.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 10:45 PM   #18

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Knot Hours
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58 LRC
And how good you feel they work...
Juliet 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 11:58 PM   #19

City: Nederland
Vessel Name: Passi
Vessel Model: Hand made Barkas
I have several friends who sail with the DMS system.
All are very satisfied with the operation of it.
As far as resistance is concerned, not working it costs about 1/2 kilometer per hour, in operation about 1 kilometer per hour.
Smaller ships, about 11.00 meters 15 tons, one system is sufficient, slightly larger ships it is common with two systems.
There are even large ships equipped with four systems.
Pascall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 09:43 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascall View Post
I have several friends who sail with the DMS system.
All are very satisfied with the operation of it.
As far as resistance is concerned, not working it costs about 1/2 kilometer per hour, in operation about 1 kilometer per hour.
Smaller ships, about 11.00 meters 15 tons, one system is sufficient, slightly larger ships it is common with two systems.
There are even large ships equipped with four systems.
This matches with what I have been told to expect for drag and the relatively low drag of the system was a significant consideration for choosing this system. Basically, a quarter of a knot loss when parked and half a knot when deployed. I imagine that for our vessel and cruising conditions, they would be deployed less than a quarter of the time. So, for a 200-hour cruising season, this would add around 7 hours to cover the same distance. Seems like a fair trade to add the capability to increase comfort for those crossings.