Old 12-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #21
Guru

City: AR
Macerator pump

When you replace equipment, do you also replace all the material in the binder(s) that's specific only to that piece of equipment? Or do you just keep adding on, leaving the next owner of the boat with a collection of literature that's akin to the entire history of western civilization?

-- Edited by HeadMistress on Sunday 19th of December 2010 10:48:25 AM
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
RE: Macerator pump

CC:
I know a few guys who have many binders of material, and find them very useful. Your 13 seems a bit OCD (not that there is anything wrong with that). I find the time taken to find the instructions may double the repair time, so I confess, I only do so when all else has failed. My drawers under the settee have been taken over by instructions, and each time I go into them, I think its time to cull out all the ones that are for equipment that I no longer have aboard, but I don't, as there may be a gem of information there that is of general relevance to other equipment.
Having a 30 yr old boat (was only 14 when I got it) I get to fix things that are anywhere from brand new to the full 30. The PO only kept manuals for electronics, and I have replaced all of that (some more than once) so I have only the manuals for equipment that I have installed. That installation process provides enough familiarity that the manual is just backup.
Peggy:
Sounds like we are from the same generation, as my dad is 89. In all the friends and aquaintances I boat with, I know one couple where the Admiral is more mechanically savvy than the Captain, several where they are rough equals, but the great majority are the old school where the guy does the mechanical stuff and drives the boat, and the gal is in charge of the galley, the decor, and the social calendar.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:25 AM   #23
FF
Guru

"I cull equipt. material that is no longer on brd when I replace it or take it off the boat."

We collect what we can weather it is on the boat or not for our library.

As an SSCA cruising spot I hate to think how many times , I have had to copy dozens of pages for unprepaired "cruisers".
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:52 AM   #24
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Quote:
HeadMistress wrote:<sigh>.... What is it with men?* Not only would you rather drive off a cliff than ask for directions, you take pride in reinventing the wheel a dozen times a day* instead of reading directions when you have 'em!*
(sarcasm on)

<sigh>... What is it with women? They would rather get a man to fix all the things they break from misuse because of not reading the directions ANY more often that males do, than pickup a screwdriver and actually learn how to fix even simple things themselves.

Wife: "Hunee, the head stopped working."

Husband: "Ok... I'll fix it as soon as I finish cooking diner on the grill. It might be something simple. Just grab the manual out of the binder and take a look."

Wife: "No thanks. It may require me to touch something gross or use a tool."

Sorry Peggy... Now YOUR generation gap is showing.

(sarcasm off)

(I must be the exception because I enjoy reading the manuals. It often uncovers hidden features that you may not have known about when you bought it. I always grab the manual first.)
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:10 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Wiki;
Obsessivecompulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness, apprehension, fear, or worry, by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing anxiety, or by a combination of such thoughts (obsessions) and behaviors (compulsions). Symptoms may include.....; extensive hoarding..........
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:54 AM   #26
Guru

City: AR

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:(sarcasm on)

<sigh>... What is it with women? They would rather get a man to fix all the things they break from misuse because of not reading the directions ANY more often that males do, than pickup a screwdriver and actually learn how to fix even simple things themselves.

Wife: "Hunee, the head stopped working."

Husband: "Ok... I'll fix it as soon as I finish cooking diner on the grill. It might be something simple. Just grab the manual out of the binder and take a look."

Wife: "No thanks. It may require me to touch something gross or use a tool."

Sorry Peggy... Now YOUR generation gap is showing.

(sarcasm off)

(I must be the exception because I enjoy reading the manuals. It often uncovers hidden features that you may not have known about when you bought it. I always grab the manual first.)
(Returning sarcastic serve)

They're known as 'cabin babes' and every generation has 'em. They're not crew...won't even handle docklines 'cuz they might break a nail.* But they look great in a bikini and throw great dinner parties which is all that matters...

(Your ball)

...and yes, you ARE the exception!
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:17 AM   #27
FF
Guru

Guess I'm still old style , there is Pink work and Blue work, and its simply more efficient that way.

Sure I can read and could probably bake a fair apple pie , but the bride has been at it for 40 years , so the results ARE better.

The bride can read , and our WWII military Detroit book was written for folks that don't know a hammer from a box wrench, but I would rather install the new injectors and run the rack , tho its all in Da Book.

90% of most repairs is Knowing what to repair , with 55 years of practice at trouble shooting, the Blue/ Pink divide is rational.

"Hon I'll stir the soup, you clear the waste pump", would not be conducive to a long boating experience.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:13 AM   #28
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
FF wrote:

Guess I'm still old style , there is Pink work and Blue work, and its simply more efficient that way.

Sure I can read and could probably bake a fair apple pie , but the bride has been at it for 40 years , so the results ARE better.

The bride can read , and our WWII military Detroit book was written for folks that don't know a hammer from a box wrench, but I would rather install the new injectors and run the rack , tho its all in Da Book.

90% of most repairs is Knowing what to repair , with 55 years of practice at trouble shooting, the Blue/ Pink divide is rational.

"Hon I'll stir the soup, you clear the waste pump", would not be conducive to a long boating experience.

I once worked with a guy who was so helpless around the house that when his wife went to the hospital for surgery, she had to cook his meals in advance for him.* She stayed longer than expected and I had to take him to the grocery store and help him pick out prepared dinners.

As a practical matter on the boat, what if something happens to you away from the dock?* Can she start the boat, raise the anchor, and find*her way to a dock?* Use the VHF to call for help and*tell someone*where the boat is?

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote