Old 08-25-2019, 11:33 PM   #1

City: St. Pete
Vessel Name: Becca
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44
Macerater pumps

I’m on my third Jabsco pump in five years and we hardly use it.
They keep locking up. I’ve tried to get them free again but parts don’t seem to be available.
Any suggestions for a substitute?
I’m willing to pay more within reason for something that lasts.
Your thoughts are appreciated.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I had one in a previous boat. It would lock up every time I went to use it. The motor shaft stuck out the back and had a slot in it so you could break it free with a straight slot screwdriver. Then it would run ok until the next time after it sat for a while. Maybe like yours, or not?
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:40 PM   #3

Worth a try. Thanks
Old 08-26-2019, 12:00 AM   #4

I’ll be there later this week and give it a go.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:19 AM   #5
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
The screw driver trick will probably solve the problem.
If you decide to replace it consider a diaphragm pump instead. They tend to be more reliable. The Sealand T series is a good one but expensive.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Waterford CT
Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Model: Shannon 36 Voyager
I had a new macerator bind up and was able to free it by rotating the shaft with a flat head screw driver. I think these pumps suffer from a lack of use. I now cycle mine on and off every week after I get a pump out. This seems to help.
willpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:09 AM   #7

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Rose Mary
Vessel Model: 42 Grand Banks Motoryacht - 1985
Whale makes a gulper that replaces macerators. Called the grouper. They're amazing. Will suck anything through, will not clog, will work forever.
Westiculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:15 AM   #8
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
If you replace it with a SeaLand T-series diaphragm pump, your maintenance concerns will go out with the macerator. I replaced mine shortly after getting the boat (in 2006) and have had -0- ZERO problems since, and we are aboard full time.

One caution, macerators are usually piped 1", the SeaLand is 1-1/2" and should be piped full size. That usually means the thru-hull is too small. Running the diaphragm pump with a choked down discharge can create back pressure that may cause the duckbills to reverse, and the pump won't pump. It can be remedied relatively simply, but it requires removing the duckbill and returning it to its normal shape. That generally means working in waste to get to the duckbill, so you'll want to avoid that situation.

It's not uncommon to have a full-size 1-1/2" thru hull for a direct overboard head connection, since it's rarely used, re-plumb that for a diaphragm pump.

Yes, it sounds like a lot of work, but once completed, you've eliminated the maintenance and breakdown issues with macerator overboard discharge once and for all. Your cruising style will determine if it's worth it in your situation to be rid of the macerator liability.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:46 AM   #9
FF
Guru

Obendorfer , but you may not like the price.

It is what is fitted to most pump out systems , big and reliable!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:10 AM   #10
Guru

City: AR
The Dometic (aka SeaLand) T-Series Pump is definitely the way to go. About twice the price of a Jabsco macerator, but a lot less the cost of replacing 3 macerators in 5 years. I had a T-Pump on one of my boats that was 11 years old when I sold the boat and was still working as well as it did when it was new. Dometic SaniPump Discharge Pump | Defender Marine

All that said, the main reason macerators lock up when rarely used is because they aren't rinsed out after use or before the boat will sit. Waste is sticky, so the impellers sticks to the inside of its housing--sometimes tightly enough that it doesn't turn at all or if it does, vanes break off instead of just breaking loose. Like everything else on a boat, macerator pumps require a little maintenance.

--Peggie
HeadMistress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:59 PM   #11

No luck with the screwdriver trick. Going with the dometic. I already have one on here for the vacuflush system taking it to the tank and haven’t even had duckbill issues in the five years I’ve owned this. Plus it gives me some redundancy and parts interchangeability.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:02 PM   #12
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
My Sealand just finished year 13 and going strong. Once I docked our boat and forgot the macerator was running. Had a call from someone who was baffled as to why our boat was blowing bubbles from under the hull. I knew what it was and when we returned the next week it was still pumping air bubbles. Great macerator that deserves the accolades being given.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:26 PM   #13
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Each person has their own favourites.
We've become very wary of Dometic products after some articles needed repair and found parts very expensive so we went with the Whale Gulper diaphragm pump. We have one for the bath and a second for a macerator.
Not overly expensive, easy to fit and so far very reliable.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:47 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
Each person has their own favourites.
We've become very wary of Dometic products after some articles needed repair and found parts very expensive so we went with the Whale Gulper diaphragm pump. We have one for the bath and a second for a macerator.
Not overly expensive, easy to fit and so far very reliable.
The choice of Whale wouldn’t have anything to do with the fact they’re an Irish company would it?
Old 09-01-2019, 11:48 PM   #15
Grand Vizier

FWIW, a 120 vac trash pump is dead reliable. I'm on year 6 with one from Grainger. Pumps 30 gpm and will pass a Chihuahua, assuming one falls into your black water tank.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver
hi there, I'm a Tradesman with a marine Waste Systems service background. jabsco product has truly gone down the tubes since they have moved their production down to Mexico . It was the four studs they had used brass ,instead of stainless that was the original problem ,and they would come apart within 2 years. They remedy that with finally using stainless studs. It seems they now using a insufficient motor in thier macerators in my opinion. It's very common for them to bog down usually right after the warranty wears out. You can get the exact same macerator to adapt with the system in place by the name of Johnson, and they seem to be much better.
I have found it's not just their macerators , pumps in general Weather its a domestic water system pump or whatever , have gone down the tube. I no longer use jabsco for doing repairs as they are now too undependable ,and do not reimburse the trades for lost time ,due to their poor products .
So basically saying a cheap product when it comes to Waste Systems.
Vactech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:39 AM   #17
Guru

Hi Parks. I hope your keeping well, you are partially right.
I've had Jabsco pumps for donkeys years as OE fitments but found that when ladies (despite being politely told) comb out their hair they put it down the toilet, whilst its not immediately apparent the hair wraps itself around the drive spindle and then the seal gets cut and leaks = new motor.
After the third time I looked for an alternative system and the Whale pumps which are indeed made in Bangor, Northern Ireland are proving to be the most efficient pump for the job.
Incidentally they started out as Munster Simms engineering, Prince Regent Road, Castlereagh, Belfast. I've known of them for years but never bought anything off them.
When they moved to a new factory Bangor they were renamed Whale Pumps.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:02 PM   #18
Guru

Hi Irish, Starting to enjoy retirement.
We were one of the first companies to bring Whale pumps into the USA. I remember picking up big wooden crates of pumps from the customs brokers and prying them open.

Eventually Imtra Corporation got the exclusive right to distribute them in the USA but Munster Simms made them keep our direct pricing. Good pumps and good people.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:08 PM   #19
Guru

If your anything like me Parks you'll find the pay is different and the hours are flexible but you'll be just as busy that you'll wonder how you found time to work.
I'm glad to hear that Munster Simms/Whale did the honourable thing by you, sure we're not a bad lot of folk.
Enjoy life
Old 09-02-2019, 11:44 PM   #20
Guru

Thanks Irish! You’re right about being busy.