Lowering Grand Banks Mast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The solution for Unicorn V probably will not appeal to some owners as it requires the boom to be sacrificed. The mast must be lowered to access the boat house. However it has served the boat well for 40 years and is easily handled by an 80 year old in 3 minutes, up or down.

Attachments

• IMG_2150.jpg
    IMG_2150.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2151.jpg
    IMG_2151.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2154.jpg
    IMG_2154.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 20
The solution for Unicorn V probably will not appeal to some owners as it requires the boom to be sacrificed. The mast must be lowered to access the boat house. However it has served the boat well for 40 years and is easily handled by an 80 year old in 3 minutes, up or down.

Doesn't look like the boom had to be sacrificed, just a different boom/mast crutch.

No, it had to go as the hydraulic ram fastens to the mast permanently. I have considered revisiting it by reducing the mast height about 18" but probably won't as we've lived with it all these years. Besides, and this may be heresy, but I think the mast just gets in the way. However it is in the garage!

No, it had to go as the hydraulic ram fastens to the mast permanently. I have considered revisiting it by reducing the mast height about 18" but probably won't as we've lived with it all these years. Besides, and this may be heresy, but I think the mast just gets in the way. However it is in the garage!

Just saw that the boom gooseneck looked clear and the mast could fold down over it....seen a lot of setups like that.

Guess I would have made the ram detachable for just raising and lowering...but if inside and a daily thing I get it....I just used my boom a lot and considered it essential equipment.

Last edited:
I mounted the pad eye as high up on the mast as I could reach. Made up a short line with 2 clips one for the mast the other for the block and tackle.
I’m on the road now in our travel trailer. When I get home next week I’ll look for some pictures

I bought a GB42 Classic a few months ago and inherited this mast lowering system. It works well for me and is easy for one person to use.

Lateral stability while lowering the mast is provided by the (approx) 10" width of the hinge plate (apologies - I forgot to take a close up of the plate).

There is a removeable strut which mounts on the mast front and has a wire rope guy which goes to the radar bracket. This strut maintains a decent "lever arm" distance when the mast is in the lower positions.

Regards,
Nick

Attachments

• IMG_0436.jpg
    IMG_0436.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0437.jpg
    IMG_0437.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_0438.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 16