Liquid Electricity in my Water Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

O C Diver

Guru
Vessel Name
Slow Hand
Vessel Make
Cherubini Independence 45
A few years ago, I replaced the water pump for the freshwater system in my boat and added an adjustable well pump switch. Unfortunately used the Chinese equivalent of the Square D switch. The switch developed a leak and the pump was making noises. Replaced the switch with a Square D and cleaned up some rust on the contact terminals.

https://www.google.com/search?q=squ...Ag&biw=360&bih=564&dpr=3#imgrc=npsqjhtA6L1G6M

New switch started leaking water, #$%@! Removed that one, carried it back to the store and got it replaced. Reinstalled it yesterday. It commenced to leaking shortly after the installation, WTF!!! After an exhaustive analysis, the switch is leaking out of the switch electrical terminals, inches above the switch diaphragm, WTF!!!

20200827_143449.jpg

With the system pressurized I found the leak. The shaft seal in the pump went bad. The motor partially filled with water. The pressure pushed the water through the multi strand wire, inside the wire covering, past the heat shrink sealed crimp connector, and on to the switch contacts.

20200827_143841.jpg

You can't make this stuff up. Have no idea how the motor still ran filled with water.

Ted

You must have pretty low ion water!

We had a satellite radio get fried after water traveled down the coax from the antenna on the fly bridge, through a loop, and into the back of the unit.

Good thing it wasn't the washdown pump.

Maybe Square D is made in China now.

Man, that's some great sleuthing!

At an engineering-geeky-physics-level, it's actually pretty cool, albeit frustrating...

Maybe Square D is made in China now.

Maybe, but there was probably nothing wrong with any of the switches. I jumped to the easy conclusion. While the Chinese one appeared to be a close knockoff, the contactor wasn't anywhere near as good.

Ted

Water is danged sneaky stuff.

Seen a bunch of issues where water got pressure fed up the stranded wire. Causes all sorts of grief and not easy to troubleshoot. Worst ones were pressure/level sensors in pressurized tanks (coolant, etc) and a nicely sealed connector. Once the sensor leaked, the connector did not, so coolant got forced into the strands. Off it went to raise havoc.

Wow! Sneaky, that water is! Whodathunk?

Thanks for sharing.

I've seen oil from a leaking pressure sensor being pushed up a stranded wire shorting out a computer before. Path of least resistance.

Back
Top Bottom